Looking for headgear from down-under

Nuclearlandmine

Shreddin'
Banned
Reaction score
Hey f16! I am looking for your advices on this. I'm in the process of relocating to Australia, and when i get there i want to buy a good headgear. Right now i'm looking for something that is readily available in there, but wouldn't mind any additional international shipping fee if the product is worth it. These are my 2 choices for now:

The Rival D30
http://www.rivalboxing.com.au/products/rival-rhg10d3o-intellishock-head-guard.html

and the GFG Silverback (both the 2011 and the current one)
http://www.gorillagear.ca/protective-fight-gear/HEADGEAR?product_id=255
http://www.gorillagear.ca/protective-fight-gear/HEADGEAR/TrainingHeadgear

My budget is around 150 dollars (with shipping), and my priority is protection. However i wouldn't mind go up a bit (180 dollars max) if the product is worth it. So any recommendation guys?

The first and foremost is protection and shock absorption. Fit and comfortability is a big plus as well.

I live in Melbourne and I do heaps of research on my gear before buying. Most recently I bought a headgear.

In the end, I bought the 3dO from Rival distributor in Perth. He was very friendly, answered all my questions and gave me good sound sizing advice.

The headgear arrived quickly, in perfect condition and it's fantastic, I'm very happy with the purchase.

I was worried because I have a very large head, hats that fit me are rare. But the largest size 3dO is great for me, and the cheek protectors are much better placed than I thought they would be, protects my nose really well.

Hope that helps

- BJ

Edit: I should mention, that buying the 3dO from Perth is actually cheaper than buying it from the states and having it shipped. Which is normally unheard of for any fight gear suppliers here in Australia where usually they price gouge you into the dirt.

The first and foremost is protection and shock absorption. Fit and comfortability is a big plus as well.

I've got the d3o headgear and if I were to give it a rating...

Protection & Shock absorption: The d3o material which is inserted inside the forehead area and the sides of the headgear absorb very well (e.g. I had the d3o on for sparring before swapping to a Twins w/Cheek guards and the difference was noticeable). This offers great protection and, alongside the fact that Rival has also padded the back of the headgear with soft form (so that you don't bang your head onto the ground when you get knocked over), makes the d3o a very solid choice already. However, what I liked most about it was how the back piece of the headgear is curved- it supports the neck when taking blows and allows a tighter fit.

That being said, the oversized cheeks known in mexican headgears is not present here. A 14-16oz glove can hit you flush in the face because the cheeks tend to be too small/wide apart. The thickness of the forehead padding also means there is a blindspot if the punch is thrown downwards at you by a taller opponent as your vision might be blocked slightly as you strain to look upwards. There is also lack of chin protection.

Fit and comfortability: 3 places where you can make adjustment. Plenty good fit.

Nice review Marbig. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm now actually able to push my budget up to 200 dollars now so i hope i have some more options

:eek::eek:
So i'm actually able to buy a Winning now? Fuck. I wonder about the shipping charge though *shivers*

$30 for shipping. it's a legit sight, I got a custom fg 5000 from them. it's like, a secret little website to get cheaper winning gear.

honestly an fg 2900 is the only headgear you'll need, it lasts a lifetime. it's basically the second best headgear with the first being the fg 5000 facebar.

$30 for shipping. it's a legit sight, I got a custom fg 5000 from them. it's like, a secret little website to get cheaper winning gear.

honestly an fg 2900 is the only headgear you'll need, it lasts a lifetime. it's basically the second best headgear with the first being the fg 5000 facebar.

I am looking for shipping to Australia though. Does the shipping still the same?

I am looking for shipping to Australia though. Does the shipping still the same?

yes, I believe so. The winning fg 2900 from the winning usa site is 250 plus 30 dollars shipping. I would assume shipping is the same on the rakuten website. I'm almost certain

Hmm.....230 dollars for a headgear i will ever need in my lifetime....not that bad of a proposal, really.....Although i think i want to settle with a lower-priced one tbh since that's way over the maximum budget (can't really go over 200 dollars since i need some monies to do other stuffs). I wonder if the GFG Silverback is a good substitute of Winning? Because factor in its price and its shipping charge it should be cheaper, and from people around here it also offered quite a lot of protection. Not Winning-like, but up there.

If shipping from Mexico is reasonable I'd consider getting a Casanova headguard or Campeon. It's what Shane Mosley uses/used, and is meant to be excellent

Something with bigger cheek protectors would stop more cuts than those in the OP which seems to be really the only criticism often made of the D30 headguard, but maybe that's good enough for what you want, I know I don't really like anything covering my face. Anyway heres the Casanova
www.ebay.com/itm/270698671764 or from Juan / Technoir . Then you can do a review! hurray! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgNcytUUGo

Something with bigger cheek protectors would stop more cuts than those in the OP which seems to be really the only criticism often made of the D30 headguard, but maybe that's good enough for what you want, I know I don't really like anything covering my face. Anyway heres the Casanova
www.ebay.com/itm/270698671764 or from Juan / Technoir . Then you can do a review! hurray! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgNcytUUGo

Is that the only reason you recommend me that lol

Back