Looking for Energy

Steve3730

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been a while since I been on Sherdog but 13 years ago these forums helped me learn nutrition, engage in the BJJ community and essentially lose around 100lbs. Here we are post pandemic and I'm nearing 40, life has gotten busier and I don't work out like I use to. But besides time, I struggle to find the energy I once had. I've gained about 25lbs since 2019 and I'm struggling to turn the tides. I'm wondering if I should get a prework out supplement to give me some energy. I believe once I start gaining momentum I'll need the supplement less but hoping it will get me over this hump.

So looking for some advice on supplements or natural food to take for energy and when I should take them. I do have a kidney disease called PKD so while its in very early stages and I really have no dietary limitation I do try to be mindful of that and any stronger supplements I would review with my Dr before taking

Coffee is always good. Most pre-workout stuff has caffeine as the main ingredient in it anyway, so you might as well start with that. Proven to work, safe in large amounts, relatively cheap and also delicious. Other than that, make sure your sleep schedule is good, try to get 7-8hs of sleep and take care of your sleep hygiene. Your weight will depend a lot on your diet too.

As for exercise, start with something small and approachable, and then try to do more activity over time. No need to go crazy from the start, find an entry point doing something you enjoy and, once it's a habit, look to grow it over time. Ideally some resistance training and some cardio every week, but start with something you like and feel good doing, anything is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Other than that, make sure your sleep schedule is good, try to get 7-8hs of sleep and take care of your sleep hygiene.

artworks-000079675922-uihf8n-t500x500.jpg

Thanks I drink coffee in the am but not so much after, tends to make me poop lol. I think I'm sleeping too much, sometimes as much as 9 hours a night. Usually unbroken but a medication I'm on makes me thirsty and pee often so usually get up once to pee. What do you mean by sleep hygiene? I tend to fall a sleep on the couch for the first hour but I'm in bed lights out no tv after that

Thanks I drink coffee in the am but not so much after, tends to make me poop lol. I think I'm sleeping too much, sometimes as much as 9 hours a night. Usually unbroken but a medication I'm on makes me thirsty and pee often so usually get up once to pee. What do you mean by sleep hygiene? I tend to fall a sleep on the couch for the first hour but I'm in bed lights out no tv after that

Sleep hygiene is stuff like going to bed at a similar time every day, dimming lights at night, avoiding screens, and those things that improve quality of sleep (all stuff I don't do at all, lol). Sounds like your sleep is fine though.

Maybe there's other life stressors mentally tiring you out, it sounds like it could be a mental thing, just struggling to find motivation after a period of inactivity. Or getting exhausted during the day due to work stress or something else. I wouldn't focus on finding a supplement, as it's unlikely to make a difference. Maybe more on reducing life stress and finding an activity you enjoy and that fits your schedule. Once you start and make it a habit, especially if it's something you like doing, it will become easier to increase activity over time I think. Also, modifying your diet will be more important than anything else in terms of weight loss, and will probably make you feel better overall too.

I hated it when I started, but get up and, get a coffee and go train.
I now wake up at 0530, argue with myself for a few minutes (longer if the wife and 2 year old are in the same bed), get a coffee, poop and then get gone. Either run then cycle to work (so 4 miles at the moment and 5 miles respectively, then cvcle home) or lift.

I ended up doing this mainly because getting home at 2100 awake from the gym and not seeing the family, and then getting up at 0630 anyway to get to work, wasn't doing the home life any good.

For kidney disease look into BPC157 and maybe Thymosin Beta 4 / TB500(essentially same thing). Both have anecdotally shown promise in restoring organs to a healthier state and potentially reversing various conditions. I'd start reading about them online and consult with your physicians to see what they think.

For energy I'd look into AAKG. BulkSupplements sells 1kg for about 40$. I take heaping tspn of it. That works out to about 5g give or take. Creatine (micronized) and D-Ribose are also helpful for strength/performance.

Anything that helps your sleep will likely boost your energy levels. So HGH secretagogues like CJC1295 may be helpful.

Caffeine can be temporarily helpful especially if you're able to properly recover afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I believe a lot is mental. I'm an early raiser so waking up is not a problem. Waking up and being active slight problem lol. Staying up is a struggle, after dinner I really lose energy. We eat dinner around 8:30pm when I don't go to bjj and by 9pm I'm done. Wake up around 6-6:30am. Sleeping 9 hours starts to limit my time to do things including and mostly working out.

Coffee or espresso is my go to. If I’m being a hero and doing a harder lifting program I’ll have a Gatorade too. Honestly I’d recommend you look at some of Dan Johns new stuff, his easy strength for fat loss stuff is really useful. It also changed my approach to lifting where I no longer need a preworkout, in fact he prefers to lift fasted

Sounds like you get enough sleep, so that can't be the issue.

I think a good start would be losing that extra 25 pounds. Extra fat fucks up your T levels. I wouldn't recommend caffeine if you're looking for more energy in general. It's great as a pre-workout but relying on it will just make you crash and feel just as shitty afterward.

Maybe try to get in a regular exercise routine, possibly in the morning to get the blood flowing before you start your day.

Do you eat large meals? Maybe try to eat more smaller meals every day to keep energy levels up. I usually eat five to six times a day with only two of those being larger meals and feel better when I'm eat carbs throughout the day.

I take several vitamine supplements but recently added magnesium.
I couldnt sleep as well with it. Now I take it before the gym or in the morning.
Anyone know what magnesium does exactly ?

Hi everyone, been a while since I been on Sherdog but 13 years ago these forums helped me learn nutrition, engage in the BJJ community and essentially lose around 100lbs. Here we are post pandemic and I'm nearing 40, life has gotten busier and I don't work out like I use to. But besides time, I struggle to find the energy I once had. I've gained about 25lbs since 2019 and I'm struggling to turn the tides. I'm wondering if I should get a prework out supplement to give me some energy. I believe once I start gaining momentum I'll need the supplement less but hoping it will get me over this hump.

So looking for some advice on supplements or natural food to take for energy and when I should take them. I do have a kidney disease called PKD so while its in very early stages and I really have no dietary limitation I do try to be mindful of that and any stronger supplements I would review with my Dr before taking
just be wary of supplements, since those aren't regulated by the FDA so companies might be including/excluding ingredients.

the B vitamins, especially B12 do something for energy. i don't know exaclty what but B12 is in that 5 hour energy and celebrities take b12 shots sometimes lol

if you're low in iron that might cause low energy too.

1. Sleep like everyone has said
2. Try water first thing in the AM before your coffee. At least 8oz.
3. Stretch regularly
4. A cup of coffee, a dose of Acetyl L-Carnitine, and a spoonful of coconut oil is damn near rocket fuel for me, ymmv
5. Try to cut out processed foods as much as possible

Honestly, it doesn't sound like energy is your problem. It sounds like motivation is your problem. Perhaps your problem is more mental than physical and addressing it physically will likely not yield the results you seek. Go through the whole goal setting process and find what you need to make your gym routine consistent.

You may also want to check your iodine levels. An iodine supplement may help you feel more energetic. I definitely feel better while taking it. I settled on half pill dosage or about 75mcg. The full dosage affected my blood pressure a bit too much.

You may also want to check your iodine levels. An iodine supplement may help you feel more energetic. I definitely feel better while taking it. I settled on half pill dosage or about 75mcg. The full dosage affected my blood pressure a bit too much.

Iodized table salt, or pink Himalaya salt, is a good source of iodine as well.

Back