Looking for bottom half-guard kneebar options

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tiger.shark, Jul 15, 2010.

1. tiger.shark

tiger.shark To the sharks!

Hey guys. I've been attacking with kneebars from bottom half-guard A LOT lately and I'm having pretty high success isolating the leg and avoiding being kneebarred myself, but I was hoping maybe some of you know of some videos for bottom half leg attacks.

I tried doing a bunch of searching on forums, youtube, Google, etc, but I keep finding typical top attacks.

I use a couple different sweeps with the idea in mind that if they defend them I'm set to roll into the kneebar. I'm just trying to get get more options and tighten up a few things. Thanks.

2. nefti

nefti Red Belt

stephan kestling

3. Qtip inspector

Qtip inspector Blue Belt

You should tell us what you already do know. A good basic one is from 93/z guard. Fake the kimura/sweep , swing belly down and attack the far knee.

4. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  5. MC40

MC40 Boston Brawler

6. MC40

MC40 Boston Brawler

Half guard is a very bad position to be in. It's VERY easy to be controlled in half guard. Most wrestlers prefer half guard.

7. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

I wholeheartedly disagree. Half guard has become a deadly position when used correctly.

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I always play bottom half guard very deep and I usually end up escaping or with a knee bar.

9. Breadcutter

Breadcutter Yellow Belt

This kneebar works at like white and blue and there's some dudes that muscle the sh out of it further, but it's not a good technique in the end. It's just too easy for a guy that's decent to plant his weight on his knee on the ground and defend. You can catch it in transition sometimes, but I'd recommend not pulling against the back of their knee. That's like pulling against somebody sprawling. The ways he shows to avoid that don't work on people that are good. You can turnover and grab the end of the leg at the ankle and/or foot and pull that out and it naturally makes the leg extend out and you have a chance. Same goes for top half knee bars, whether you turn in or turn back, a decent opponent is going to get a good push on you and have a backtake opportunity.

10. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

This.

Maybe in an MMA scenario, but in grappling, it is an extremely powerful position and can be very sweep and sub aggressive.

11. crocoppertones

crocoppertones Silver Belt

That was actually an interesting break down of all the techniques used during that portion of the fight

thx for the post.

12. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

there is almost no ultimate truths in grappling, it is rock paper scissors but with the whole body and more option, but there is a counter to everything

13. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Correction: Any position beneath Brock Lesnar is very bad. Does not matter what specific position it is.

That doesn't mean any position on bottom is very bad, however. It is certainly NOT very easy to be controlled in half guard. Great half guards beat great wrestlers all the time in nogi grappling.

14. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

I agree with this. It's very hard to hit this kneebar unless you can grab the heel and torque it towards you, which will extend the leg and make your opponent turn. Otherwise any wary opponent will simply sprawl against your grip.

It's a lot easier to simply reap your leg over the top into the heelhook/ankle lock position from half guard than it is to hit the kneebar.

15. Breadcutter

Breadcutter Yellow Belt

Good follow up. Yeah, right on point for viable attacks. Toeholds too and it's actually, if timed right, a decent transition from a regular half guard to the 50/50.

16. bagelgod

bagelgod Green Belt

I'm going to have to say this is semi-wrong. I've tapped purples in competition with this, and I hit it in rolling against browns and blacks. But I have a slightly modified set up because of the partial truthiness in this statement.

I don't hook under and then grab with my other hand. I used to get darce'd faster than it takes for someone to get groped at a frat party, so I do it with one arm.

In half, I get super close to them, underhook the leg, and then roll my entire body the opposite way. The process of turning my body away, rather than pulling with my arm, is what gets them in motion. The arm is really only to keep them connected to me, rather than to pull them across. If I can't turn my body, then I can't move them, though this is EXTREMELY rare. I'm not strong by any means, and I can move the 300 pound ex-football player.

Once they're moving, I just pop my legs out into the kneebar position. Usually I'll turn to face their front-side/other leg, put my in-between-their-legs leg in his free-leg's knee pit, put my other foot on top of his shin, cross my ankles, and finish the knee bar. Reason I go through that trouble is it controls both their legs and keeps them from sprawling/smashing, and if you hit a sweet spot, you can calf crush by extending your legs as you kneebar. If I can't get to that for whatever reason, there's inside/outside triangle/ Fiddy fiddy.

Now, if I can't get close to attach our bodies, or I can't roll them for some reason, I'll try working this:

Or work for a sweep. Classic deep half (aesopian's website goes through this in great detail) stand up sweep, or a homer simpson variant. I really just alternate between these four moves for my bottom half.