Looking back was the serra win over st pierre really that big of an upset?

Well...yeah. Serra even in his prime was a truly awful fighter. Imo the most overachieving fighter ever in MMA.

And GSP is one of the best fighters that has ever lived. So yeah put 2 and 2 together pal.

It was a very big upset but Matt Serra was also very underrated. A lot of people scored his fight with BJ for Serra.

It was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen. It definitely affected GSPs legacy, losing to a 5'2 Journeyman

Last edited:
Yes, it was a big upset. Though there was an even bigger upset two weeks later.

It was a huge upset, but shits happens when you start throwing fists.

He (gsp) may’ ve become one of the greats, and got his revenge on Matt, but when it comes to being entertaining, Serra’s the champ! I submit to his jokes and overall loveability <BC1>

Sherdog Translation - I beat my meat to Looking for a fight videos

It was and one of the most embarrassing things I've seen. It definitely affected GSPs legacy, losing to a 5'2 Journeyman

I don't even think that's all that accurate, because it was such an obvious fluke and GSP proved it so thoroughly in the rematch. Serra shouldn't have even been in the same octagon as GSP, the difference was that substantial and the fluke so intense.

It was a big upset but I don't think it was as huge as some people believe. Serra was notoriously hard headed and not easily finished. The guy went up against three Champions in GSP, Hughes, and BJ and only GSP put him away, doing so in the rematch.

It took Serra one round to beat GSP and take the belt. It took GSP two rounds to beat Serra and get it back. A big upset but not as huge as many believe. That's my opinion.

CM Punk vs Usman odds would be 10x more one-sided than GSP vs Serra odds, so I'm not sure why you compare Serra to Punk. But yes it's one of the absolute biggest upsets in MMA history because Serra was seen as a UFC dropout who earned his way back by beating other UFC dropouts and got a title shot for this, and GSP was clearly the best WW planet already by then and thought to be the future of the sport.

Well...yeah. Serra even in his prime was a truly awful fighter. Imo the most overachieving fighter ever in MMA.

And GSP is one of the best fighters that has ever lived. So yeah put 2 and 2 together pal.

Serra was a +850 underdog. Holm was a +830 underdog to Rousey. Is there a bigger upset, betting-wise?

No. Serra mogs even former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold

serra rockhold.jpg

It was a massive upset.

If you WERE a hardcore fan and knew that Serra was a tough dude with some close decisions that didn't go his way, you were pretty sure he was going to get smashed moving up in weight to fight GSP. GSP was on an absolute tear, and had just crushed Matt Hughes.

If you WEREN'T a hardcore fan, Serra was portrayed as an over the hill guy who had come up short a few times at LW, and was on the receiving end of one of the most highlight reel KO's at the time. Then they put him on the comeback season of TUF which was made to produce more of a feel good / charity longshot idea than it was a legit contender.

Either way, nobody, no matter their level of knowledge about MMA thought that he had a chance at all, especially by 1st round KO.

I mean for sure it was a big upset but i get the sense people gere treat it like it was a usman vs cm punk type of upset. Matt was a solid fighter, not great but really his win was no fluke he did have the skills to do that it was just unlikely

Yes it was massive. Serra was a UFC reject who came back via winning the ultimate fighter by beating other UFC rejects. He also beat GSP via TKO when GSP was running through people in his wins.

Not even close to Douglas beating Tyson or Ruiz beating Aj
Hold on now, Ruiz was in every top 10 hw list before fighting AJ. Has always showed solid skills and great speed for a hw. Plus was undefeated and had a better record than AJ.
Even in the rematch, AJ changed his whole fighting style and changed his body size and said he did his most serious camp ever YET still struggled hard to avenge his loss against Andy. And afterwards we found out andy gained weight and didnt train properly, even his dad and trainer yelled at him for it.

Hold on now, Ruiz was in every top 10 hw list before fighting AJ. Has always showed solid skills and great speed for a hw. Plus was undefeated and had a better record than AJ.
Even in the rematch, AJ changed his whole fighting style and changed his body size and said he did his most serious camp ever YET still struggled hard to avenge his loss against Andy. And afterwards we found out andy gained weight and didnt train properly, even his dad and trainer yelled at him for it.

It was still a major upset

AJ was way ahead of gsp at the time he fought serra, when he faced ruiz

Also was serra not top 10?

When you're done this thread please start a new thread on Matt Hughes losing twice to Dennis Hallman. We haven't had one of those in a while ...

Back