Looking back was the serra win over st pierre really that big of an upset?

people greatly underrate serra here of course. that said, it was obviously a huge upset given how good gsp was and was viewed at the time.
I mean i know it was a big upset but people treat it like serra was bum, he was not, maybe a 6 to 1 underdog but he was no cm punk

It def. gained more of upset-status considering how GSP's career went and obv. the rematch. That being said, GSP was very highly touted at the time and Serra was given no chance whatsoever. It was 100% an upset, since people thought GSP would steamroll the entire division (which he did in all fairness).

At least thats how I remember it.

Matt was coming off a robbery and didn't have any finishes by strikes on his record prior. GSP was both bigger and sharper technically, so he shouldn't have ran into any trouble, let alone lost, on paper.

A huge upset you could reevaluate is Rousey/Holm, since the gap on the feet should have been apparent and there were people picking Holly.

I mean i know it was a big upset but people treat it like serra was bum, he was not, maybe a 6 to 1 underdog but he was no cm punk
i already said serra was underrated. but it was still a huge upset. obviously punk isn't capable of doing what serra did.

You sound new to mma. I’ll let your ignorance slide this time.

He (gsp) may’ ve become one of the greats, and got his revenge on Matt, but when it comes to being entertaining, Serra’s the champ! I submit to his jokes and overall loveability <BC1>

Yes.

When you get knocked silly standing by a LW masquerading as a WW BJJ black belt it is an upset.

Only to MMA casuals. GSP had just won the title from Hughes, who was the long time, dominant champion. GSP was the talented, young newcomer, who had just recently dethroned Hughes. Sera was an experienced veteran, who had faced world-class competition, like BJ.

Yes it was. As far as skill gap discrepancies go, I still think Matsui/Pele was the bigger upset.

A b-level fat 155er KOing the greatest WW of all time? No upset there.

GSP (-1300) - Serra (+850) isn't 42-1 like Buster was but it's still pretty huge

Not close

Mike in his prime was thought to be unbeatable and Douglas was extremely inconsistent

I was a kid at the time but many said if Douglas hears the bell to end the first round, he has done ok

Biggest upset in combat sport history, at least in a high profile fight

Ruiz beating AJ was shocking as well. Maybe not as much in hindsight, but the little fat guy coming in from short notice was not giving a chance. I personally thought he was a good fighter and hard done by the Parker decision, but never envisioned him winning

I believe AJ was originally going to hire Ruiz to spar, before millar was caught doping

Back