Looking back: Takanori Gomi vs Chute Boxe

I'll chime in. Big Gomi fan. Was an awesome rivalry too. Really wished he could have had a better showing in the UFC. We still have the memories though. Guy is a warrior.

gomi was a jerk against azevedo LOL

Love me some Fireball Kid. Kids these days don't realize what an absolute monster Gomi was in his prime.

I was a huge fan back then, I recall after Pride was done he went off to Sengkou, and I had such a hard time trying to find his fights

Had to download the entire event, fucking hours of it in one go.

Then he lost out to that Russian guy, got quick subbed by Kitaoka, and barely got past Tony Hervy (good fight though)

I was amazed the UFC picked him up after that

Did he get cut in the end?

I nearly shart myself when he KO'd Tyson Griffin

1678t1s.gif

One of the reasons I started watching MMA

I was a huge fan back then, I recall after Pride was done he went off to Sengkou, and I had such a hard time trying to find his fights

Had to download the entire event, fucking hours of it in one go.

Then he lost out to that Russian guy, got quick subbed by Kitaoka, and barely got past Tony Hervy (good fight though)

I was amazed the UFC picked him up after that

Did he get cut in the end?

He's still in the UFC.

This is still one of my favorite moments while watching a live event.

I jumped out of my chair and spilled all my chips. Only time I've had that type of reaction

It was great seeing him KO Griffin. He also fucking beat Diego! Judges robbed him there.

This is still one of my favorite moments while watching a live event.

same here man, I hadn't watched many of his fights before he came to ufc, the torque he gets on that ko punch is awesome, wasn't tyson a big favorite here as well?

same here man, I hadn't watched many of his fights before he came to ufc, the torque he gets on that ko punch is awesome, wasn't tyson a big favorite here as well?
I can't remember who was the favorite, but I'm sure it was Tyson. Gomi was on a rocky road at that point I think.

He needed that win bad. His fans needed it bad, and he delivered an old school, Gomi mack truck fist KO.

Fucking beautiful.

gomi was a jerk against azevedo LOL

He brought some kids with him too, like some role model or something. Azevedo was lighting him up until the 3-4 then he went berserk. Went back to the locker room with the kids.

BUSHIDO!!! Gomi was an amazing fighter, he put on great fights. Seemed to struggle with motivation after he lost the belt in Pride though.

Back