Looking back, Conor's path to a string of victories and success was meticulously crafted like..

Yes it was all guided by the UFC and Fox. I said years ago a contact at Fox shared the primary concept of the Fox deal with the UFC from a marketing standpoint was to make Conor and Ronda stars.

Conor was at the time the best fighter in the world at 145lbs. He just almost died each time he had to make weight.

So was Rousey until Holm came to the 135lb division.

So it wasnt like either of them were not top fighters in their divisions at the time. Conor could go back to 145lb today and beat everyone save Ortega. Conor is just too small and too weak for 155lb when it comes to the top grapplers in the division.
how did fox benefit from conor and ronda being stars? fox had one programming night with either of them combined. that was the concept of the fox deal??

Conor is a good fighter that was hyped up to be one of the greatest mixed martial artist. His fans bought the talk and the UFC hype. Reality has set in and it is what it is. There are some lessons to be learned from all of this but I do not think many will learn from it.

I wouldn't completely agree, he definitely did get some favourable matchups but he beat some huge names eventually. What I will say is, some people are just blind. After he lost to Nate, there were some fans who insisted Nate's 3 inch height advantage & 2 inch reach advantage made the fight almost unfair. They ignore the fact that Conor almost always enjoys a reach advantage on his opponents. In fact, Diaz was the first time Conor didn't have a reach advantage in the UFC. You cannot overstate Diaz's height & reach advantage while ignoring Conor routinely enjoys much bigger advantages in his other fights. Guys like Brandao, Brimage, Siver, & Mendes are really short or have very short arms or both (though Mendes is a great win, so I give him a pass on that).

if poirier is a favorable matchup, it actually proves how good he is.
Conor is definitely talented for sure but Dustin doesn't engage much in grappling unless desperate and was chinny af at 145. It was a semi favourable match up at best

how did fox benefit from conor and ronda being stars? fox had one programming night with either of them combined. that was the concept of the fox deal??

The company memo stated clearly make them stars. Conor fought Holloway, Brandao, and Siver on Fox before he became the PPV king. That image was crafted during his fights on Fox.

How did Fox benefit? Do you really need to ask how ratings and advertising works?

The company memo stated clearly make them stars. Conor fought Holloway, Brandao, and Siver on Fox before he became the PPV king. That image was crafted during his fights on Fox.

How did Fox benefit? Do you really need to ask how ratings and advertising works?
Holloway fight was buried on the undercard. Brandao was on fight pass. Siver was the one show fox benefited from conor, as I said. So you’re saying the fox deal was built around that one event? Ronda never fought on fox.

The siver fight did give conor visibility to a wider audience and that fight worked out well for the ufc. Fox sports 1 had ratings for one night.

Back