Looking back at Goldberg

I always thought he meant living the Hollywood life instead of training to defend your belt. Holly didn't have the luxury of filming movies and just trained for the win. I think we can agree Ronda didn't take it as seriously as she should have.
Idk i just rewatched that fight and it didnt sound like thats how he meant it tbh. Rogan even responded immediately saying "thats not it mike she is just swinging and missing"

While trying to explain while Matt Hughes has such devastating ground and pound:

"You know Joe, when Matt Hughes and his brother Mark were growing up, they would pound each other behind the barn."
There was another great one about how Matt’s twin brother was the same age as him

I love watching fights. In that I'm a purest

But Goldie and the commentators are part of the "show"

He was funny, (not always on purpose) and it was a loss in the overall UFC experience when they sacked him... For me.

The Goldie/joe combo worked so well because Joe could call the technical PBP and offer insight unheeded and Goldie would be some comic relief and deliver the scripted stuff like a goof making Joe into the straight man keeping him focused

Now the commentary teams are all over the place and have so much ego there isn't any chemistry, they want to talk about themselves more than the fight or correct each other etc

Joe/Goldie is the goat MMA commentary team

He sucked, I was glad he was killed off an I have a low opinion of everyone who likes him.

I liked him because of the stupid shit he said. They should have just let him get drunk before every show. Would have added to the entertainment.

i liked goldberg but there was always an asterisk on his name due to his goofiness.

this asterisk vanished completely tho during the khabib/mcgregor fight, when uber analyst Dominick cruz was explaining how conor was trying to gas khabib out by getting smashed over and over again in the face

<Oku03>

<Goldie11>

I always thought he meant living the Hollywood life instead of training to defend your belt. Holly didn't have the luxury of filming movies and just trained for the win. I think we can agree Ronda didn't take it as seriously as she should have.

Ronda made the mistake of staying with Edmond. She could have likely beaten Holly and given Nunes a much better fight with more competent training. Nunes might still have been to much even for the best version of Ronda though. Everything seems to have just clicked for Nunes and if she has weaknesses, no one can get to them. I'd like to have seen what happened if Ronda had gotten Nunes to the ground though.

How could anyone dislike goldie? He was excited about his job, all around good guy, and yeah he said some fun stuffs...but apparently the fun stuffs goldie said rubbed some people the wrong way and I have no idea what the big deal is I'd it took goldie 3 times before he could articulate 'the prodigy'; I just thought it was funny but oh well... some smart asses got their panties in a bunch and started hyper ventilating in anxiety...are these the same guys that watch luke thomas and dan hardy's fight analyses?

Corn nuts... Corn to the core. The official snack of the UFC
Xynergy powered by xience

I was not a fan of his or Rogan for that matter, Rogan is much more tolerable with another partner on color commentary however.

I may be one of the few, but I really liked Jeff Blatnik and Don Wilson, I felt they broke down the techniques well and gave some first hand experience on what the fighters may be going threw mentally, they came across pretty legit back in the early UFC’s...I felt the commentary team had lost that for many years to come after that
I'm with you, Jeff Blatnik especially is sorely missed.
I have said before if MMA ever needed a president to oversee every damn thing, Jeff would be the perfect choice.

Rest in peace buddy, you were never replaced

I was glad he left and then Bellator signed him. I would like him to go to another sport.

He used to announce those Redbull Air Race events....not really sure what happened to them.

Goldberg brought great energy and enthusiasm to the commentary team, where Anik is more... level/professional I guess. I feel like Anik does a better job.
My issue wasn't so much that UFC let Goldie go, but how they let him go. He was there for about 20 years, and they didn't even give him any sort of send off or goodbye. The whole thing felt undignified and uncool.

i liked goldberg but there was always an asterisk on his name due to his goofiness.

this asterisk vanished completely tho during the khabib/mcgregor fight, when uber analyst Dominick cruz was explaining how conor was trying to gas khabib out by getting smashed over and over again in the face

<Oku03>

<Goldie11>
For real even Rogan was like wtf are u talking about

So just curious on what everyones thoughts are now that there has been some time since Goldberg got let go as commentator.
I remember at the time being slightly upset and alot of other people being even more upset to the point of anger but was this entirely based upon nostalgia alone?
These last few months the ufc has uploaded alot of free fights and wow the stuff that came out of Goldbergs mouth was so idiotic at times its mindblowing. I think that every other commentator that has been up there since has done a significantly better job. Rewatching Rousey vs Holm was cringy af hearing Rogan say "Ronda's looking tired now mike" after getting outclassed by Holly all round and you hear Goldy coming in with "its tiring being a superstar!" No u idiot its tiring when u are missing every strike u throw while not being able to land a takedown.
Ive heard alot more god awful lines from him lately while watching replays and im just curious on what the sherdog concensus is in 2019.
The guy was always awful. For someone who spent so much time around mma, he knows so little.

And hes so robotic and predictable with the cliches and one liners. He sounds exactly the same calling fights as he does calling the red bull air shows.

Call me nostalgic, but I miss the days where every event hadn’t Goldie and Rogan. Now I’m stuck with Hardy, Anik, some random, and Florian doing Robot Wars.

FML - I miss the old ufc. If only Ken could do a promotion of mma without gloves. Gii, no gii, boxing gloves, he’ll jeans and a t-shirt, I think it would be more enjoyable.

Haha

GOAT
images

Back