Looked like DC was trying not to hurt Hendo

I think he was at 20% his capability. You don't want to see 100%. Someone might fly out the octagon. :icon_lol:

And Hendo wasn't able to reverse DC and dominate with top control at the end of the fight like Herring did with Fedor.

Hendo didn't have 4 inches and 20 pounds on Cormier like Herring had with Fedor.

wow, thought i was the only person thinking that.

I'm not talking about the entire fight- just from the point at which he had clearly shown he could dominate Dan and Dan was already exhausted (end of the 2nd and while Hendo was on his back squirming in the 3rd).

At that point he easily could have flurried and blasted Dan to a tko stoppage (if he was willing to beat on him hard and in doing so probably hurt him) and Hendo could not have stopped it ... but instead DC waited and put him away with the sub.

I agree with you. I kind of noticed the same thing until the fight went deeper then he was getting more ruthless. Dan needs to move to 185 now. He can't compete with monsters like that.

Hendo is shorter, DC likes to jab to set up his power shots, which, with his style, has been easier to do against taller, slower fighters. Taking Hendo down was to nullify his chances to land that right hand.

Him not being able to do much damage was more due to Hendo holding him in half-guard and trapping his arm when he tried to constantly get a mounted crucifix. DC still has work to do with his grappling.

I really hate reading this stuff.

Hendo was working hard not to get subbed or hurt.

At least it seemed that way to me. I think that at a certain point it was quite clear that DC could do anything he wanted to Hendo. Props to Dan for not ever quitting and fighting and finding ways to get out of bad positions, but DC was just too big and too good.

Anyway.... DC could have postured up and blasted away or slammed elbows and won via TKO at any point, but to do so, he would have had to really unload on Dan, who he respects a ton, so he kept busy and worked patiently until he got that sub, which was the best way for the fight to end, honorable for Hendo who didn't even tap- the man has no quit in him at all and says he wants to keep competing for as long as his body will let him- he is in his mid 40s and has been fighting legends, former champs and hall of famers. DC is a beast, an elite fighter who is one of the best of all time already.

but DC chose, in my opinion not to risk hurting Dan by just blasting him out (at any time he wanted) and instead waited patiently and got the sub, I think he would have even let it go to the judges if the sub hadn't have materialized rather than pound Hendo out... just my opinion, that is what it looked like to me.

Props to both men. Hendo is a warrior and DC is an amazing fighter. I haven't seen anyone throw a grown man that high in the air since Rocky III when Rocky fought Hulk Hogan.

I with you. I saw it too. If I was fighting an over matched, smaller fighter I could feel the same way.

He should have laid him down gently and tucked him in instead of powerbombing his ass like a drunken abusive father does when his child gets out of line.

He threw him over like he was on the turnbuckle. It wasn't that bad.

I'm not going to lie, this thought crossed my mind while I was watching.

Granted, the slams are a bit contradictory to the hypothesis, but still, I think it's possible. He had full control. Hendo was doing everything in his power to survive though, and it's not like he was making it easy.

Still, people who are thinking it absurd, bear in mind that an amateur fighter who was winning his fight tapped out because he didn't want to do anymore damage to his opponent.

he seemed to be just doing wrestling exercises for a bit like he didnt want to just pound him out. I was wondering what he was doing but finally he just choked him

He molested poor Dan just like we all thought for Dana's birthday cash present

The thought crossed my mind but if you look at some of DC's other fights he doesn't really posture up and throw big shots on the ground. He maintains control over everything else.

I'm not talking about the entire fight- just from the point at which he had clearly shown he could dominate Dan and Dan was already exhausted (end of the 2nd and while Hendo was on his back squirming in the 3rd).

At that point he easily could have flurried and blasted Dan to a tko stoppage (if he was willing to beat on him hard and in doing so probably hurt him) and Hendo could not have stopped it ... but instead DC waited and put him away with the sub.

You're right TS, from the second round it looked he was just making contact without any mean intention, when he was on his back or full mount he could have pounded Hendo pretty bad but didn't. Maybe it was not to gas out but I doubt it.

Then he got the choke and thought, hey I won't beat the plaster out of him, I'll just submit him.

I agree with you. I kind of noticed the same thing until the fight went deeper then he was getting more ruthless. Dan needs to move to 185 now. He can't compete with monsters like that.

Thus far the only one he couldn't compete with was DC.

Dan was right there with Rashad, Machida, beat Shogun, beat Fedor which is amazing...

Never before in my opinion had Hendo seemed completely outclassed or unable to compete against a bigger man, he KOed Wandy, split decision against prime Arona...even has a win against a young healthy Big Nog

DC is just that good. I couldn't believe that throw, put the Boesch toss to shame, amazing.

DC seems like a nice guy, he doesn't hurt his opponents just controls them.

DC could have penetrated Hendo anytime he wanted. Henderson only survived to the third round because DC allowed it.

Respect, we see it all the time in this sport.

Yup. That is honestly what it looked like to me. It was clear as day he had Hendo under control, and he was able to avoid any sort of trouble himself, keep busy enough to make Dan squirm until something opened up and he could take the sub without ever having to throw real heavy leather (which also could have resulted in a broken hand and fucked up his ability to train for a title shot).

DC is a smart dude and he is very respectful of the elite fighters and the legends of the sport. He is not a malicious person that is in the sport to hurt people, he is clearly capable of that, but I doubt he would derive pleasure from hurting Hendo at that point when he was capable of winning in dominant fashion (and even still securing the finish) without anyone being seriously hurt.

I doubt he wanted to retire Hendo and being completely honest he probably could have put on a beating like that if he wanted to.
(Like a Kongo vs Al Turk or Arona vs Sakuraba or Igor vs Enson)

Back