Look what Cody Garbrandt once said about his fight iq

Faber's reaction lmfao

another gem from that season was the tether ball game
such a perfect metaphor for their actual fight
Cody comes out and immediately understands the game, gets an early lead
TJ adjusts, Cody gets flustered, TJ wins

I think the pole was too high for the little manlets.....

When TJ hit from a certain angel, there was no way for Cody to hit it unless he jumped which led to some of his falls (His balance in general sucks tho)

Timestamped

LOL he looks like a total idiot now.

When doesn't he ? You can probably take any 30 seconds of Cody talking to deduce that. He's an exciting fighter but he's not the sharpest knife in any drawer.

My bad, meant to say that id Cody had any fight IQ, he wouldn't twice open up on TJ (knowing TJ could capitalize and KO him)
No he wouldn't have won if he had IQ.You are probably basing this on Cruz fight but that is just false.

Cody has a tendency to drop his left hand and doesn't move his head as much as he should during exchanges. It's a lot easier said than done to fix a hole like that. Even Cruz stunned him a few times for those flaws.

fb5d2439c3534a31b8719399227b3668.jpg

This is Cody's face after the Cruz fight.Cruz is good but his striking is terrible, Cody slipped and countered his big loopy punches. TJ is a much, much tighter striker, it's a very different fight. Cody is a right hook with a left hook setup, throws them the same every time, he's really good at that combo, but he's never going to top an elite striker with that.TJ is a much harder guy to counter and is excellent when leading and dictating the fight. It allows him to play to his strengths. Cruz, on the other hand, seems to excel most when he gets someone chasing him. I think it's a stylistic difference first and foremost.

Cruz and Dillashaw aren't dissimilar, both enjoy their stance switches and feint at an alarming frequency, but Cruz never engages in the pocket the way TJ does. He's okay with his opponent chasing him, but he invariably either angles away after a counter or two or shoots in. Cruz is a unique fighter but he's also one of the stronger adherents of "all the way in or all the way out", because his unorthodox form serves well to enable his long-range game (jabs, weird straight-arm hooks, long uppercuts, shifting to cover distance) and that long-range game draws an opponent in close for his excellent takedown game, but his loopy form and preference for shifting as he strikes is easily exploited by a tighter boxer when he sticks around in the pocket for long enough.

XFKUy7Z.gif

If there was TJ instead of Cruz.Cody would go night night like he did in the first fight.Or if only Cruz had more power he would have finished Cody.

Look Cody here.He tried exactly what got him KO'd against TJ in the rematch.

H15nhZK.gif

ScalyWideeyedAntbear-size_restricted.gif

Seems familiar doesn't it? Cody looking different against Cruz is a completely false narrative.TJ beats him 9 out of 10.Cody always has a puncher's chance.

Cody had TJ in trouble. He took a step forward, and TJ hit him flush.
yes, it was fast and it turned within seconds, but TJ got in trouble first.
I wouldn't call hitting someone clean is having him in trouble tho.It's a fight.Of course he is gonna get hit.

Cody is dumb. And if you needed the neck tat to tell you that, you are not paying attention.

No he wouldn't have won if he had IQ.You are probably basing this on Cruz fight but that is just false.

Cody has a tendency to drop his left hand and doesn't move his head as much as he should during exchanges. It's a lot easier said than done to fix a hole like that. Even Cruz stunned him a few times for those flaws.

This is Cody's face after the Cruz fight.Cruz is good but his striking is terrible, Cody slipped and countered his big loopy punches. TJ is a much, much tighter striker, it's a very different fight. Cody is a right hook with a left hook setup, throws them the same every time, he's really good at that combo, but he's never going to top an elite striker with that.TJ is a much harder guy to counter and is excellent when leading and dictating the fight. It allows him to play to his strengths. Cruz, on the other hand, seems to excel most when he gets someone chasing him. I think it's a stylistic difference first and foremost.

Cruz and Dillashaw aren't dissimilar, both enjoy their stance switches and feint at an alarming frequency, but Cruz never engages in the pocket the way TJ does. He's okay with his opponent chasing him, but he invariably either angles away after a counter or two or shoots in. Cruz is a unique fighter but he's also one of the stronger adherents of "all the way in or all the way out", because his unorthodox form serves well to enable his long-range game (jabs, weird straight-arm hooks, long uppercuts, shifting to cover distance) and that long-range game draws an opponent in close for his excellent takedown game, but his loopy form and preference for shifting as he strikes is easily exploited by a tighter boxer when he sticks around in the pocket for long enough.

XFKUy7Z.gif

If there was TJ instead of Cruz.Cody would go night night like he did in the first fight.Or if only Cruz had more power he would have finished Cody.

H15nhZK.gif

Seems familiar doesn't it? Cody looking different against Cruz is a completely false narrative.TJ beats him 9 out of 10.Cody always has a puncher's chance.

I wouldn't call hitting someone clean is having him in trouble tho.It's a fight.Of course he is gonna get hit.

I like your post. a lot of good things here.

BUT:
1) I do call hitting when someone gets visibly hurt. And TJ got hurt. Not wobbly, but hurt enough to step back and regroup.
Enough that Cody thought he could end TJ right there.

2) While I like your analysis, I would like to hear more. But add what happened between TJ and Cruz as well, and what enabled Cody to beat Cruz and TJ to lose.
note: this is not a gotcha kind of quesiton. I like how you explained TJ & Cody,m and would like to have your view on their fight against cruz as well. (invariably I find that you saw things I did not and as such, I learn about different points of view i might not have thought of).

It would have been better for the division had Cody won absolutely. Because right now TJ is sitting at the top with no challengers. Unless Dominic can get healthy and get back in the mix. Other than that he has nobody really to fight.
ah letz give Marlon what he wants..

It would have been better for the division had Cody won absolutely. Because right now TJ is sitting at the top with no challengers. Unless Dominic can get healthy and get back in the mix. Other than that he has nobody really to fight.
Marlon moraes

While I like your analysis, I would like to hear more. But add what happened between TJ and Cruz as well, and what enabled Cody to beat Cruz and TJ to lose
Garbrandt was able to beat Cruz to the punch every time, and he was able to flashily avoid many of Cruz's punches, because he gameplanned to force Cruz into a range where Cruz could access none of the benefits of his style, and could only eat the brunt of his bad habits. He kept Cruz from taking and leaving at angles with sound boxing footwork and he was able to defend the takedowns of Cruz, and he forced Cruz into trades where the crisper boxer will beat the weirder boxer.

Forcing TJ into trades is tough, and Cody wasn't guaranteed to win because TJ isn't terribly vulnerable in the pocket. Not only could TJ kick at range to keep himself out of harm's way (against Cody's mostly pocket-boxing arsenal), he was excellent in defending himself when Cody rushed at him (where Cruz wasn't), and found an opening in the pocket that he was equipped to exploit (which Cruz wasn't). The first fight gave Dillashaw the opportunity to read the approach of Garbrandt that way, safely taking the angle in the pocket (where Cruz wasn't equipped to) and finding the southpaw right hook, and Dillashaw just took advantage of the same liabilities in Garbrandt's aggression at 227.

When it comes to TJ vs Cruz;

Cruz seems like an insanely frustrating guy to fight for anybody.

TJ was most successful when he let Cruz come to him. He doesn't hit hard enough to really give you trouble, but the more he makes you miss, the more winded you get and the easier it is for him to score points with pot shots.TJ fought angry, and it cost him. He was flat footed and loading up on everything.TJ figured Cruz out in the later rounds of the fight and that bodes very well for him in the rematch tho. He can make much more drastic adjustment than Cruz.The leg kicks.The first good leg kick TJ landed had Cruz in trouble, but TJ spammed head kicks for some reason.

A few tweaks and TJ can definitely win that fight, but its going to start with understanding what Cruz wants you to do, and not letting pride get in the way.

this is not a gotcha kind of quesiton. I like how you explained TJ & Cody,m and would like to have your view on their fight against cruz as well. (invariably I find that you saw things I did not and as such, I learn about different points of view i might not have thought of).
Thanks

I respect that he told the truth

when you are true to yourself, you can learn and grow... so maybe he can actually develop that fight IQ

Garbrandt was able to beat Cruz to the punch every time, and he was able to flashily avoid many of Cruz's punches, because he gameplanned to force Cruz into a range where Cruz could access none of the benefits of his style, and could only eat the brunt of his bad habits. He kept Cruz from taking and leaving at angles with sound boxing footwork and he was able to defend the takedowns of Cruz, and he forced Cruz into trades where the crisper boxer will beat the weirder boxer.

Forcing TJ into trades is tough, and Cody wasn't guaranteed to win because TJ isn't terribly vulnerable in the pocket. Not only could TJ kick at range to keep himself out of harm's way (against Cody's mostly pocket-boxing arsenal), he was excellent in defending himself when Cody rushed at him (where Cruz wasn't), and found an opening in the pocket that he was equipped to exploit (which Cruz wasn't). The first fight gave Dillashaw the opportunity to read the approach of Garbrandt that way, safely taking the angle in the pocket (where Cruz wasn't equipped to) and finding the southpaw right hook, and Dillashaw just took advantage of the same liabilities in Garbrandt's aggression at 227.

TJ was most successful when he let Cruz come to him. He doesn't hit hard enough to really give you trouble, but the more he makes you miss, the more winded you get and the easier it is for him to score points with pot shots.TJ fought angry, and it cost him. He was flat footed and loading up on everything.TJ figured Cruz out in the later rounds of the fight and that bodes very well for him in the rematch tho. He can make much more drastic adjustment than Cruz.The leg kicks.The first good leg kick TJ landed had Cruz in trouble, but TJ spammed head kicks for some reason.

A few tweaks and TJ can definitely win that fight, but its going to start with understanding what Cruz wants you to do, and not letting pride get in the way.

Thanks
I appreciate it. I will have to re-watch those fights, but you gave me a different perspective to look at.

Holy shit!

A person was wrong! Never thought I'd see the day.

I watched this a few days ago.

Bang Ludwig bangs his chin into oblivion in an open weight fight.

I think this is one of the reasons why people dont act as childish/cocky as someone like Cody does. Because when you get smashed, it can be pretty difficult to cope with, I think. Ronda had a hard time with her. Thats why most people dont like to be so bold. Guys like Conor are immune, it seems.

XFKUy7Z.gif

H15nhZK.gif

Thanks
These are some of the best breakdowns I've read for these 3

Back