Longest You or Someone You Know Stayed at a Job

my uncle has been at his job at a tool company for like 32 years. some lady at my old side job at a chocolate factory worked there for like 58 years they used to give her all expenses paid vacations because of her long time there. I also think that they bought her a car. I think job agencies and covid will lead to the long time worker not existing in the future though even if the worker is loyal the company will not reciprocate that loyalty. I predict future jobs will exist in 5-10 years periods.

The promise of a college education being the key to a high paying job is a myth now. Other than select fields, the only thing they really do is maybe give you a step ahead of other potential job candidates. I worked with a guy who had his master's in fisheries and ended up doing underwater welding making way more money

I worked for the same company for 36 years under 2 different owners. The first owner grew up poor, died a multi-millionaire and only graduated high school. The next owners were a corporation who wanted all managers to have at least a 2 year degree. They didn't care what the degree was in. One of the managers had an English literature degree.

The original owner gave regular raises and bonuses depending on each person's performance and how he valued each person.

The corporation that bought it changed everything. Every employee company wide got the same cost of living raise and same bonus which was a small fraction of what the original owner had provided. When I informed them that I was planning to retire in a couple of years and they should start looking for a replacement for me to train, they placed an ad with the starting wage at less than I had started at in 1980. Starting wage implies regular raises but they never increased more than the annual cost of living. They couldn't find anybody that could do the job at the wage they offered. They did find a guy when they raised their price and promised him raises, but after almost two years he hadn't gotten the promised raises and took another job after I retired.

Last edited:
My longest is probably 3 years.

That's very short come to think of it. I didn't realize it until now.

This is a new age IMO. Things like job loyalty are a thing of the past and many people can't get some full time job, hold down a house, then retire.

Many people get a job, need more money, get another job, go back to school, get a higher paying job, etc.

My longest is probably 3 years.

That's very short come to think of it. I didn't realize it until now.

This is a new age IMO. Things like job loyalty are a thing of the past and many people can't get some full time job, hold down a house, then retire.

Many people get a job, need more money, get another job, go back to school, get a higher paying job, etc.

This. My longest is 3.5 years.

I did the math the other day. I've been hired at 14 different jobs in the 12+ years since college.

Then again, I'm a giant piece of shit.

Loyalty seems to be mean very little these days to people and most people I know job hop every 1-2 years.

I've been at my current job for 13 years. My previous job, 5. It seems like people look down on you when you tell them you've been at a company that long. It's like they immediately assume you are lazy, are milking it or wonder why you haven't moved around like they have.

For me, it's all about job security and stability. If I can find a job that pays well, isn't boring, has some meaningful work, learn different things and is in a good industry, why exactly would I want to move around? I get looking for higher positions and pay but that has never motivated me. I just want enough money to pay my bills, some spending money and some to put away into savings.

One downside is if you do lose your job, some employers might think you are a one trick pony and pass you for younger blood. Also, if you happened to get fired for some reason, you just blew a decade + of your life and will have to explain yourself on a resume.

I've looked and I'm pretty sure I could make more money elsewhere but my mindset is my current job survived the recession, allowed me to buy a house, buy and fully pay for 2 cars and now thrive during COVID. I just wouldn't want to let that job security go for a slight bump in pay. It seems like others though, they'll leave a job for $1 or $2 extra an hour or the slightest bit of stress.
All the raises I've gotten are via job hopping, it's def more than 1 or 2 dollars an hour lol. The idea of job loyalty is stupid to me, why be loyal to them when they sure as well aren't gonna do the same for you?

Companies treat employees only how the employees will let the company treat them. It's disturbing that almost no one in the workforce understands this. You get from this life exactly what you deserve. Nothing more, and nothing less.
That's some stupid shit. Companies don't give a shit I'd you're gonna not take their shit. They're just gonna fire you and hire someone more keen to gargle their balls.

Unless your really that special and gifted you will be replaceable. If you really are then I don't know why someone like that would be working for anyone when they should be running their own company.

People need to specify whether they work in the public or private sector. If you get hired full time by city, state or federal government it’s probably best to stay there. If you work in the private sector it’s rare that loyalty will be rewarded in the long run.

My moms is retiring today after 41yrs at her job. My father in law was 37 yrs at his job too but seem like people don't last that long anymore due to buy outs, shut down, etc..

Is job loyalty a thing of the past?
I think job loyalty on both side (employer and employee) is a thing of the past. My grandfather worked at the same place for 36 years.

I just passd 14 years. I know a guy who has worked at Port of Subs since his junior year of high school. Hes probably around 40 now. I still see him when I go there. He always hooks me up with his employee discount

Companies don't follow that model, and employees don't either. It still exists in some small family businesses, but it's rare.
I have found the exact opposite from small family businesses. The last one I worked for found every way to fuck their employees

I was in the same department from Feb 2000 til a couple weeks ago. Still with the same business though.

About 3.5 years but the average is one to two years.

That's some stupid shit. Companies don't give a shit I'd you're gonna not take their shit. They're just gonna fire you and hire someone more keen to gargle their balls.

Unless your really that special and gifted you will be replaceable. If you really are then I don't know why someone like that would be working for anyone when they should be running their own company.
Thats what you and the other peons believe because that's the front they put up. The reality is it all depends on the situation and what kind of money the employees are making the company.

Even if a company can get new employees tomorrow, they are still going to lose money getting them up to speed with the old crew. And that's assuming they can find replacements right away. Generally it's going to take them a few weeks to collect apps, review them, set up interviews, and make decisions.

It's been my experience that once a company hires some one, they do whatever they can to not have to go through the process of finding their replacement. Especially in corporate gigs where no one you work for actually gives a shit about the company.

Everytime I think about leaving I just think about how it took me ten years to get 4 weeks vacation. I couldn't imagine going back to two weeks or less a year.

Thats what you and the other peons believe because that's the front they put up. The reality is it all depends on the situation and what kind of money the employees are making the company.

Even if a company can get new employees tomorrow, they are still going to lose money getting them up to speed with the old crew. And that's assuming they can find replacements right away. Generally it's going to take them a few weeks to collect apps, review them, set up interviews, and make decisions.

It's been my experience that once a company hires some one, they do whatever they can to not have to go through the process of finding their replacement. Especially in corporate gigs where no one you work for actually gives a shit about the company.
I agree. Market saturation and how difficult it is to replace a loyal employee definitely play a big role. I put in a two week notice and the head of HR and the GM met with me to convince me to stay. I said I was going to work until the two weeks notice was up and that I was going on vacation when it was, asked for my final check to include all my unused vacation time. They begged me to reconsider and email them during vacation if I changed my mind. I emailed them mid-week of vacation and said nothing had changed and the decision was final. When I got back in town I had multiple people from the company calling to ask if I could work more until they found someone to replace me. I felt bad but I had to stay firm and remind them that I gave them ample notice and never any false hope about the situation. They had three weeks to do something and they did nothing but hope I would change my mind. A loyal, capable and reliable employee can be very difficult to replace in certain sectors.

Back