Longest You or Someone You Know Stayed at a Job

I had two uncles that worked at the same place, one was there for like 36 years and was nearing retirement and the other was at 35 with still at least a decade left of work, until they shut it down in like 2014 or 2015.
My father worked about 40 years for CN Rail. Amazing union job with amazing benefits.
The last part is very true, the pension is one of the best left in Canada, but that company, at least on the conductor/locomotive engineer side, is a fucking nightmare to work with.

Quite a few of my former colleagues had been with the company that I worked at to 20+ years. Most of them have taken redundancy due to Covid though, and they'll have gotten a good layout for doing so.

I stayed with my former employer for about eight years, even though the pay was shit and customer service could be frustrating. I regret seven of them, and I don't really know what I was thinking...

I had two uncles that worked at the same place, one was there for like 36 years and was nearing retirement and the other was at 35 with still at least a decade left of work, until they shut it down in like 2014 or 2015.

The last part is very true, the pension is one of the best left in Canada, but that company, at least on the conductor/locomotive engineer side, is a fucking nightmare to work with.
Can confirm my father was a locomotive engineer

Agreed, also it's kinda ridiculous how companies expect employees to give 2 weeks notice when they can shit can ppl without any notice
Companies treat employees only how the employees will let the company treat them. It's disturbing that almost no one in the workforce understands this. You get from this life exactly what you deserve. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Almost ten years at one job and just under four at another. I might go 4 somewhere else but doubt I'll ever put in ten somewhere again.

My moms is retiring today after 41yrs at her job. My father in law was 37 yrs at his job too but seem like people don't last that long amore due to buy outs, shut down, etc..

Is job loyalty a thing of the past?

yes, job loyalty is definitely a thing of the past. i was with one employer for fourteen years, and i was planning on staying there until retirement, but there are simply too many other opportunities out there, and i took one.

i actually think that most people would prefer to stay at one job for the long-haul. it's a lot less stressful, in terms of having security, and not having to think about changing your entire environment with a new job, and all that entails. but employers are no longer loyal to employees, and that i think has caused a lot of employees to take matters into their own hands, and to find better opportunities elsewhere.

the other thing, is because there are few companies who are giant enough to deal with the ups and downs of the economy, lots of people don't feel safe that the company they work for will continue to do well. with huge companies like google, amazon, general motors, and the like, you feel more secure about remaining employed and moving up within the company.

Loyalty seems to be mean very little these days to people and most people I know job hop every 1-2 years.

I've been at my current job for 13 years. My previous job, 5. It seems like people look down on you when you tell them you've been at a company that long. It's like they immediately assume you are lazy, are milking it or wonder why you haven't moved around like they have.

For me, it's all about job security and stability. If I can find a job that pays well, isn't boring, has some meaningful work, learn different things and is in a good industry, why exactly would I want to move around? I get looking for higher positions and pay but that has never motivated me. I just want enough money to pay my bills, some spending money and some to put away into savings.

One downside is if you do lose your job, some employers might think you are a one trick pony and pass you for younger blood. Also, if you happened to get fired for some reason, you just blew a decade + of your life and will have to explain yourself on a resume.

I've looked and I'm pretty sure I could make more money elsewhere but my mindset is my current job survived the recession, allowed me to buy a house, buy and fully pay for 2 cars and now thrive during COVID. I just wouldn't want to let that job security go for a slight bump in pay. It seems like others though, they'll leave a job for $1 or $2 extra an hour or the slightest bit of stress.

This current presidency has felt like a real dystopian apocalypse.

giphy.gif

I worked 5 years straight for a mom and pop hardware store starting at 15. I only left because they sold it, and even with the raise to stay on I wasn't making as much as some of my other friends at 20, so I took a landscaping job...good money, long hours.

Still in the Coast Guard after 18 years.

Longest was 17.5 yrs. Moved up positions on average every 2.5 yrs.

Company used to have great pension plans, loyalty bonuses etc etc and a foreign company bought us and shit canned it.

I passed up a lot of head hunting job offers with bumps in pay for the pension etc I had at the company where I was.

In the end, I got right fucked for being loyal.

There used to be fuck tons of 30-50yr employees there when I started. Not anymore.

World is a different place now. Companies are ran by the shareholders and make decisions that straight fuck companies in the long run, to make a few bucks on the Friday afternoon stock closure every week.

The head carpenter on my last job did his 54th vacation on the same company before retiring at 70..

Last years (standard pension at 65) he just consulted for the kind of price the company gives someone who worked for them for 50 years..

I'm coming in on 4 years on my job and have no plans on quitting..

Back