Longest You or Someone You Know Stayed at a Job

Job loyalty is indeed a thing of the past. I was at my last job for 7 years and that was too long. I only quit because I moved across the country, but I was long overdue to leave that place.

I've been at my current job for 2.5 years but I'm ready to quit because they didn't meet my salary demands. Wouldn't even meet me halfway (and my demands weren't unreasonable) so it's time to go.

I feel like now that only people that are going to stay long term at jobs are government workers because they have great benefits and structured pay scales. My wife has been with the state for four years and will retire with them, because they actually incentivize you to stay.

I was at my last job for 11 years and never thought I would leave. A friend of mine is a recruiter and pushed me to see what else was out there and at least do some interviews. I eventually did and I realized that sometimes the grass is actually greener on the other side.

Changed positions, but I’ve been with the same company for 13 years. From age 22 to 35

No my dads job is white collar. And as you can see from the pictures from my work that I've posted, I'm not

Aye

I thought you were cleverly saying you worked in a family business that you've taken the reigns of since he retired and he consults you

My bad dude.

Do you guys work like that photo you showed me in the winter too ?

My dad is going on 45 years, started at 22. He is looking to retire next year, but then says he isn't sure. My mom worked at her company for 40 years and retired in 2018.

Knew a dude at an old job that worked for the company for 35 years. I knew him for a while, but didn't know how long he had worked there until we had this little award ceremony one year. They rewarded his over 3 decades of loyalty with this little plaque and a 3 day cruise. No pay raise, no real monetary gift or compensation. I walked out about 3 weeks later. Loyatly to anyone other than yourself is quickly going out of style, and for good reason. You have to be a damn fool to believe that anyone except yourself is going to do right by you. This goes beyond employement and extendeds to family, friends, romantic partners, etc.
Agreed, also it's kinda ridiculous how companies expect employees to give 2 weeks notice when they can shit can ppl without any notice

I've been at mine for 17 years (actually, it's technically 22 years). I have a pension there and very good job security. So, if I were to take another job it would have to be substantially more pay than my current pay to leave. I'll most likely be there for 30+ years.

And, several colleagues have been there 40+ years.

Job loyalty is indeed a thing of the past. I was at my last job for 7 years and that was too long. I only quit because I moved across the country, but I was long overdue to leave that place.

I've been at my current job for 2.5 years but I'm ready to quit because they didn't meet my salary demands. Wouldn't even meet me halfway (and my demands weren't unreasonable) so it's time to go.

I feel like now that only people that are going to stay long term at jobs are government workers because they have great benefits and structured pay scales. My wife has been with the state for four years and will retire with them, because they actually incentivize you to stay.
I'm always looking around for a better offer

That's just his job title. Basically he's working part time and pulling a paycheck ensuring that it doesn't mess with the pension hes getting.

I know some people that have retired and then became a consultant, and made more money that way than when they were actually working that job.

i probably would get into some kind of consultant job as a Procurement Officer when I eventually retire.

My moms is retiring today after 41yrs at her job. My father in law was 37 yrs at his job too but seem like people don't last that long amore due to buy outs, shut down, etc..

Is job loyalty a thing of the past?

Outside of some unique industries, it's a thing of the past. LEOs still have that somewhat, insurance also somewhat (lots of ppl at places like Prudential stay around for 10+ years, many 20+), but even these kinds of industries aren't quite the same as they used to be. My longest stint at a firm was 2.5 years. You can ride the wave of better money at other firms in your industry for quite some time before someone starts wondering about you jumping, but it's less and less common for people to even expect long term loyalty, churn (for lack of a better term) is becoming a built-in expectation in big companies. Consultancies are built on churn. Loyalty is more expected at higher levels, but even there it's not uncommon to see SVP+ ppl peace out after 3 years. The world has changed. People understand that they cannot expect loyalty from their employers, and for those who still do, 2008 crash says hi. I personally never stop job hunting, i keep my resume up to date at all times and look for opportunities, because I don't believe in employer loyalty. To some extent, one should even be a bit suspicious of environments that have large numbers of "lifers" or similar long term emps - while it could be a simple matter of high quality people being treated well, it could also mean that the company doesn't weed out low performers, which is a horrifying thing, nobody wants to work with low quality co-workers....

I started doing freelance delivery driving for a Texas based delivery service app on october of last year and I’m still doing it, so 1 year is the longest I’ve lasted.

Never been in a job for longer than 3 years. My current one is cool as hell and I get a guaranteed payrise each year so I can see me sticking this one out for a lot longer.

Aye

I thought you were cleverly saying you worked in a family business that you've taken the reigns of since he retired and he consults you

My bad dude.

Do you guys work like that photo you showed me in the winter too ?
Mostly. Sometimes we have other projects that we get assigned during the Winter months cuz it's too cold to various parts of our job

Back