Longest You or Someone You Know Stayed at a Job

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My moms is retiring today after 41yrs at her job. My father in law was 37 yrs at his job too but seem like people don't last that long anymore due to buy outs, shut down, etc..

Is job loyalty a thing of the past?

Last edited:
I worked at the same place for 12 years but did different jobs there. Next job only lasted about 2 years.

Most of my parents fiends had their jobs for 40+ years, same job

My dad stayed on his first job for 35 years until he got retrenched last year.

Company loyalty means shit nowadays when you get a 20% to 30% pay jump if you get head hunted by another company. Jump 3 times and you more than doubled your first salary.

I've been with my same job and position for 14 years now.

right now is out slowest time of year...from January to mid-September is our busiest.

Companies don't follow that model, and employees don't either. It still exists in some small family businesses, but it's rare.

Father in law is up for 40 years next year.
I worked at the same company for 4, that was enough for me

The economy keeps breaking up with me. I dont understand what im doing wrong. I was in urban planning up until the housing market crashed in 07. Upped my mixing chops and became a live sound guy then covid hit. I might have to run for potus if concerts dont start back up soon.

Knew a dude at an old job that worked for the company for 35 years. I knew him for a while, but didn't know how long he had worked there until we had this little award ceremony one year. They rewarded his over 3 decades of loyalty with this little plaque and a 3 day cruise. No pay raise, no real monetary gift or compensation. I walked out about 3 weeks later. Loyatly to anyone other than yourself is quickly going out of style, and for good reason. You have to be a damn fool to believe that anyone except yourself is going to do right by you. This goes beyond employement and extendeds to family, friends, romantic partners, etc.

I've been with the same company for 14 1/2 years. Been a foreman for 8 and a general foreman for 3.
My dad worked for the same company for over 30 years before he retired and now is working for them as a "consultant".

the consultant...can make more money that way.

I've been with the same company for 14 1/2 years. Been a foreman for 8 and a general foreman for 3.
My dad worked for the same company for over 30 years before he retired and now is working for them as a "consultant".

So

Are you running your dad's business?

I think it depends on the area of the country a bit as well as the age of the employee. Older people and people in smaller markets tend to stay at one place b/c the options are a bit more limited and it's a different mindset. Younger people and those in large cities or places with a lot of options tend to jump around a bit more.

The place I used to work is a lot of 40 and 50 year old people and most of them have been there like 15-25 years already.

My mom retired after 36 years.

My grandfather worked in a Louisville Ladder warehouse for 39 years. Retired in the early 90s with a fucking ballin'-ass pension.

Was able to buy a nice suburban home, multiple cars, a boat, a camper to put on a permanent campsite at a nice NJ campground, put three kids through college without him having even a high school education.

College-educated 30-somethings can't even afford to move out of their parents' house these days.

Somewhere along the line our politicians fucked us.

My mom retired after 36 years.

My grandfather worked in a Louisville Ladder warehouse for 39 years. Retired in the early 90s with a fucking ballin'-ass pension.

Was able to buy a nice suburban home, multiple cars, a boat, a camper to put on a permanent campsite at a nice NJ campground, put three kids through college without him having even a high school education.

College-educated 30-somethings can't even afford to move out of their parents' house these days.

Somewhere along the line our politicians fucked us.

The promise of a college education being the key to a high paying job is a myth now. Other than select fields, the only thing they really do is maybe give you a step ahead of other potential job candidates. I worked with a guy who had his master's in fisheries and ended up doing underwater welding making way more money

Back