Long time Whey eaters and possible side effects?

What she said is still undetermined ( kind of). There is a big debate amongst protein. Many claim that you need ridiculous absurd amounts of protein, others say you do not and you can still maintain tons of muscle mass. What she said is true(in regards to the side effects), but you would have to eat alot and I mean alot of protein to have that effect.

Personally I would side with the 2nd arguement because honestly I wouldnt; be surprised if companies just made up bullshit so you can waste your money on tons of protein products. i have seen buff people healthy people who are in shape who have no more than 75-100g of protein.

The whole 1g of protein per body weight is only for those who are professional body builders.

What is interesting is more and more studies are showing that you do not need so much protein to maintain muscle mass. All I have to do is look at athletes such as Randy Couture or Phoenix Suns player Raja Bell, and know for a fact I do not need hundreds of grams of protein.

There's almost nothing correct about your post.

Higher protein intake has been very clinically studied, and absolutely proven to have benefits. It has nothing to do with companies making up bullshit as you put it, it's been known for quite a while.

And you also left out critical information in your "1g per body weight"...which means nothing. Most people have that fundamentally wrong because it's not per pound of bodyweight, it's per kilogram of bodyweight.

Also, please provide your studies that show you do not need "so much" protein to maintain musculature. I would like to see the definition of "so much", and I'd also like to see a study that proves in the negative, a study done to disprove something.

Lastly, "hundreds" of grams of protein is wrong unless you weigh hundreds of lbs AND are basing the gram amount on the fundamentally flawed information.

dude just drink a lot of water and flush out your kidneys

as long as your drinkiin your water i think youll be ok, but i could be wrong

how much is your whey protein bill for the month? I had to cut down recently, cuz the shit is so expensive now.

Its not that bad. I order 2 10 lb boxs of the stuff over the internet every couple months or so. I think I use about 10lbs every 3 or 4 weeks. I got some MRM now that was like 70 dollars for 10lbs. I look for the stuff that is low cholesteral and sodium and no artificial sweetners.

What this wench got me worried about was excessive protein consumption. I know humans were designed to eat a certain level of protein a day I just wondered if guys like us that eat 2x or so what normal people eat, with a majority of it coming from whey, have a higher rate of kidney issues because of it. Of course Im talking long term here, not folks that go on and off diets or lift weights for a few months than quit, people who eat whey religiously for 10, 20 and longer years.

Holy shit. Learn to cook. Eat real food. Your mouth will thank you.

Plus the more you cook the greater variety of foods you learn to prepare so you can gear your diet to a higher level of specificity (i.e. more/fewer carbs, protein, fats from different sources).

There's almost nothing correct about your post.

Higher protein intake has been very clinically studied, and absolutely proven to have benefits. It has nothing to do with companies making up bullshit as you put it, it's been known for quite a while.

And you also left out critical information in your "1g per body weight"...which means nothing. Most people have that fundamentally wrong because it's not per pound of bodyweight, it's per kilogram of bodyweight.

Also, please provide your studies that show you do not need "so much" protein to maintain musculature. I would like to see the definition of "so much", and I'd also like to see a study that proves in the negative, a study done to disprove something.

Lastly, "hundreds" of grams of protein is wrong unless you weigh hundreds of lbs AND are basing the gram amount on the fundamentally flawed information.

No my post was entirely correct. If a human consumes too much protein, they will mess their kidneys up, but as I said before you would have to eat a serious overload of protein.

It has also been known for quite a while that you do not need to consume 200g+ of protein like some people do to gain muscle mass and whatnot. Once again if you observe athletes who are vegerterians or eat very little meat you will notice they are in top physical condition yet do not consume absurd amounts of protein. Take Randy Couture for instance, now I am not too sure if he has changed his diet, but before he was on the Akaline Diet. (This was back when he came into the 205 division and beat Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell). If you look at that diet, the protein intake is no where near as much as what your standard body building magazines tell you, you should have.

You say most people have it fundamentally wrong, then I guess you must be right because Sports Nutritionist tell their athletes you should consume 1g of protein per body weight, not kilogram. In fact alot of men and body builders live by the 1g of protein per bodyweight. Hell some body builder magazines even suggest 1.5g. Men's Health magazine post that shit like everday. Other sources say you only need 0.5-0.8. (which is probably more accurate).

I'll be more than happy to give you tons of books that shows you do not need to eat hundreds of grams of protein to have muscle. Sorry bro but the whole "you must eat hundreds of grams of protein" is a fad. Just as their studies that show high protein being a necessity there are tons of studies that show you do not need high amounts of protein. (once again unless your a professional body builder, or professional athelete).

^^^^^^^^^^

akh2dv.jpg

Its not that bad. I order 2 10 lb boxs of the stuff over the internet every couple months or so. I think I use about 10lbs every 3 or 4 weeks. I got some MRM now that was like 70 dollars for 10lbs. I look for the stuff that is low cholesteral and sodium and no artificial sweetners.

What this wench got me worried about was excessive protein consumption. I know humans were designed to eat a certain level of protein a day I just wondered if guys like us that eat 2x or so what normal people eat, with a majority of it coming from whey, have a higher rate of kidney issues because of it. Of course Im talking long term here, not folks that go on and off diets or lift weights for a few months than quit, people who eat whey religiously for 10, 20 and longer years.

I'd be willing to bet that eating excess protein is healthier for you than eating excess processed carbohydrates, trans fats, and simple sugars. People seem to forget that to be an athlete you need an abundance of calories. The best way to consume those calories is through a balanced diet, with specific amounts of calories from all macro-nutrients. If your overall calorie intake has to increase, your fat and carbohydrate intake will increase. In order to maintain balance, you MUST increase your protein intake as well..

I think I have to agree with vedic on the whole 40g. whey/day thing. From time to time or possibly on heavy lifting days there isn't a problem with going over. If you're consuming 50, 60, or more grams of protein from supplements per day on a regular basis, you probably need to take a second look at your diet.

I do think there is not much downside to taking say 15-20g casein before bed, on top of your 40g whey/day.

It's unfortunate that I've only now seen this discussion (who actually reads all the way to the 4th page??), but these are the exact issues I needed to discuss in my books. I performed literature reviews on all of this.

Without giving all the details, it seems that ~10% of the populations suffers from mild asymptomatic renal insufficiency. In this case, consuming high quantities of protein for long periods may be problematic -we don't know forsure. Otherwise it seems as though the kidneys simply adapt.

Whey is incredibly anabolic and I suggest at least one whey shake a day for all of my athletes. Additionally, my recommended protein intakes are higher than most people suggest. We must stop applying outdated ideas and work within reason.

I've covered this in great detail and have provided references, so I'll leave it at that.

My understanding as far as my father (doctor for 40 years) told me is that the type of protein doesnt matter so much as the amount. The body can only process so much protein and excess is weeded out by the kidneys. He advised me not to be taking in over 300g of protein a day total as this is around the area where kidney damage can occur.

If you want to dwell in ignorance yourself, be my guess :icon_chee

Or you could go back, re-read King Kabuki's post, re-read your post, and realize you are disagreeing with him by agreeing with him.

It has also been known for quite a while that you do not need to consume 200g+ of protein like some people do to gain muscle mass and whatnot.

That may work for you or someone else, but for me personally, just to maintain 190lbs requires about 280g of protein per day and about 320 to gain lean mass. I'll stick with my high protein intake.

No my post was entirely correct. If a human consumes too much protein, they will mess their kidneys up, but as I said before you would have to eat a serious overload of protein.

It has also been known for quite a while that you do not need to consume 200g+ of protein like some people do to gain muscle mass and whatnot. Once again if you observe athletes who are vegerterians or eat very little meat you will notice they are in top physical condition yet do not consume absurd amounts of protein. Take Randy Couture for instance, now I am not too sure if he has changed his diet, but before he was on the Akaline Diet. (This was back when he came into the 205 division and beat Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell). If you look at that diet, the protein intake is no where near as much as what your standard body building magazines tell you, you should have.

You say most people have it fundamentally wrong, then I guess you must be right because Sports Nutritionist tell their athletes you should consume 1g of protein per body weight, not kilogram. In fact alot of men and body builders live by the 1g of protein per bodyweight. Hell some body builder magazines even suggest 1.5g. Men's Health magazine post that shit like everday. Other sources say you only need 0.5-0.8. (which is probably more accurate).

I'll be more than happy to give you tons of books that shows you do not need to eat hundreds of grams of protein to have muscle. Sorry bro but the whole "you must eat hundreds of grams of protein" is a fad. Just as their studies that show high protein being a necessity there are tons of studies that show you do not need high amounts of protein. (once again unless your a professional body builder, or professional athelete).

lol@just repeating your first post all over again.

The point was, you were reciting misinformation, which yes, still is misinformation. You'd be surprised how many magazines, and people can't convert metric measurements, so instead they improvise by saying "per lb"...which is indeed fundamentally incorrect.

If I were you I'd do some research on diabetes treatments and just how many people's lives are being saved by high protein/low-carb eating regimens. Books are not studies, and don't often cite the most recent or progressive research. Hundreds of grams of protein? No, because that's not right and never was. But higher protein than people took absolutely works. Sorry "Bro."

Back