Long term use of benadryl

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I take benadryl 1-2 times a week for early days at work but during allergy season I will take it a more often on days where it's really bad and I am having trouble sleeping. I have read that long term use of benadryl can put you at higher risk for alzheimers, and also mess with your memory and ability to think. The dose that I am at, am I still at high risk for those problems? What do you think the safe dosage amount would be, if there is one?

Better off using a newer generation antihistamine like Fexofenadine (Allegra) for your allergy symptoms and getting a script from your local GP for something like Zolpidem (Ambien) to use periodically when you need to cut the sleep early.

Better off using a newer generation antihistamine like Fexofenadine (Allegra) for your allergy symptoms and getting a script from your local GP for something like Zolpidem (Ambien) to use periodically when you need to cut the sleep early.
Doesn't ambien have even worse side effects that benadryl. Haven't tried allegra but I know claritin and zyrtec both did not work well for me. I would like to get allergy shots to cut down on meds but I don't think it's cost effective

Give quercetin a go during allergy season. Starting at 12mg per kg of bodyweight / 25mg topend.

Doesn't ambien have even worse side effects that benadryl. Haven't tried allegra but I know claritin and zyrtec both did not work well for me. I would like to get allergy shots to cut down on meds but I don't think it's cost effective
Give Allegra a shot.
How many times a week are you taking the Benadryl for sleep?

Give Allegra a shot.
How many times a week are you taking the Benadryl for sleep?
Once or twice a week I take benadryl for sleep but like I said, during allergy season I take it almost every day during peak season which will be about 1 month to a month and a half

Once or twice a week I take benadryl for sleep but like I said, during allergy season I take it almost every day during peak season which will be about 1 month to a month and a half
Got it. Give Allegra a shot. It’s a newer drug that works in the same mechanism just doesn’t cross the blood brain barrier. It does wonders for me too.

Give a different allergy drug a shot. Allegra works for some people well, if does for you, great. If not, try Zyrtec or Claritin (both will take a few days to start and must be taken daily to work). Generic for both is fine. Then, use a SMALL dose of Melatonin for sleep aid. No grogginess like benadryl, no headache either. And by small dose, I mean, 3mg tabs cut into 2 or 4 pieces small. It's enough to make you tired, fall asleep quicker and sleep better but wake up feeling normal. The pill sizes made are actually way too much for most people but start small and adjust as needed. About as low side effect as you'll get IMO.

I take benadryl 1-2 times a week for early days at work but during allergy season I will take it a more often on days where it's really bad and I am having trouble sleeping. I have read that long term use of benadryl can put you at higher risk for alzheimers, and also mess with your memory and ability to think. The dose that I am at, am I still at high risk for those problems? What do you think the safe dosage amount would be, if there is one?
I've read similar things about benadryl probably not a good idea to use it every day. For me personally allergy pills don't work at all even prescription ones, only thing that works is nasal sprays(there are short term use ones like otravin but others that are good for long term use, read the label) Give them a try, maybe try other pills like allegra, claritin, reactin ect. For sleep bendryl is not a great idea, it shortens your sleep cycles so your sleep quality is reduced. Look into sleep hygiene(includes limiting caffeine, alchohol, tv and having bright lights on before bed) and sleep routines(not going to bed before you are tired, reading, meditation ect.) if those don't work try melatonin, valerian or HT5/Tryptophan(this one works for me with 1000mg doses) Another thing that works is THC(if legal in your country) it can be addictive though for some people and obviously harmful to your lungs if smoked(i take it in capsules or sprays)

Depending on how you feel about natural remedies, I have been using Nature sunshine ALJ and histablock I started out with double the dose for 2-3 days then the regular dose going forward and my allergies have been well maintained on it. Nature sunshine has a website that may have it cheaper especially if you sign up with them but here's the links on Amazon. Research and read some reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back