Lombard or Romero, which Cuban Olympian has the better shot at winning a UFC title?

This. If Lombard fights like that against Rory he's getting jabbed to death.

Yea this is what i think, Burkman did a good job of countering early in the fight, also i feel the top welterweights will not let lombard pace himself by just plodding forward, dont get me wrong the guy looks like a stud athlete and throws with power but i feel Rory, condit will make him look average.

I think if Romero uses his wrestling more he will make a good run at MW, similar problem to Lombard tho, to much muscle, he tightend up alot after round 1 against Kennedy, Good power and unorthadox style.

Lombard has the easier champ to beat (no offense to Lawler, but The Chris is pretty dominant) but I feel he is less skilled.
Romero is an absolute beast, but the competition might be too tough.

I don't see either holding a belt.

I can't believe the number of people giving any kind of a nod to Lombard after that last fight. He KIND OF beat the worst Josh Burkman I've ever seen and barely lasted a 3 round fight. Rory would make him look stupid and Brown would simply tear him a new asshole after Hector gassed in 3 minutes from the work rate.

Romero at least has more skills and can develop.

Romero because Lombard is getting mauled by Brown soon

So who besides Rory are you giving the next shot to? That Shields beatdown was impressive.

Condit - overrated
T-Wood just got smoked by Rory and ducked Hector
Matt Brown - Lombard will kill
Gastellum - less deserving and he lost to Story on the ever prestigious Meathead Jock scorecard.

the shields fight was not impressive. outside of the first round, lombard landed two takedowns in both the second and third rounds and didn't do anything with them. in fact the ref hand to stand them back up a few times because lombard was just laying on him. and he refused to engage in the stand up with shields. go rewatch the fight. the second and third rounds were very uneventful.

I don't rate Lombard. I think a lot of guys in the welterweight top ten beat him (Lawler, Hendricks, MacDonald, Condit, Brown, Gastelum, Saffiedine)...

... I don't think he's a great striker. He hits hard and moves quick enough for the first five minutes, but he's not as devastating as a lot of people make him out to be. His cardio is questionable and he's past his physical prime. Can't see him getting any closer to the belt than he already is.

Romero's also old and past his physical prime, but has less mileage (still young in fighter years). His striking is a lot more fluid than Lombard's, his wrestling is insane and he uses it really well (I don't think Lombard uses his judo enough), but he is chinny and hittable, which isn't a great combination.

Neither guy will ever be champ, but Romero has the better chance of getting a title shot.

Lombard, easily, he's more well rounded and has less holes in his game.

Neither guy will ever be more than a mid top 10 in the respective division. Thats like pretty obvious

you're crazy if you think WW isn't the first or second deepest division in the UFC

3 of the top 10 aren't even in the UFC. There's a guy walking around Canada taking time off that would be a favorite against any fighter in the UFC WW div. The division is dominated right now by a 25-10 journeyman. The next 2 guys in the div have both lost to him in the last 14 months.

LW is not at an all time high right now, but it's by far the deepest.

The MW champ is an all american wrestler with ADCC level BJJ. MW has 3 former UFC champions and 3 former Strikeforce champions from both MW and LHW in the current top 10. One of whom is widely regarded as the GOAT. Another of whom is IBJJF and ADCC champ. Mixed in with them is an olympic wrestler.

The UFC has more championship caliber fighters in the top 10 at MW than it has top 10 guys at WW. Think about that.

WW is a train wreck.

3 of the top 10 aren't even in the UFC. There's a guy walking around Canada taking time off that would be a favorite against any fighter in the UFC WW div. The division is dominated right now by a 25-10 journeyman. The next 2 guys in the div have both lost to him in the last 14 months.

LW is not at an all time high right now, but it's by far the deepest.

The MW champ is an all american wrestler with ADCC level BJJ. MW has 3 former UFC champions and 3 former Strikeforce champions from both MW and LHW in the current top 10. One of whom is widely regarded as the GOAT. Another of whom is IBJJF and ADCC champ. Mixed in with them is an olympic wrestler.

The UFC has more championship caliber fighters in the top 10 at MW than it has top 10 guys at WW. Think about that.

WW is a train wreck.

WW is deeper than MW. If you focus only on the top 10 MW looks like a better division but once you go beyond the top 10 the quality falls off faster in the MW division.

Also the way you describe WW makes it sound like a deep division, deep divisions don't have many if any guys winning a bunch in a row, cause the division is too good to do that.

Romero has no shot of beating the top MW`s and Lombard would get schooled by Rory`s combination of striking and reach, having to one shot KO him.

So, none.

Rory would have the same problems he had jabbing Lawler except he doesn't have the advantage in wrestling and the clinch like he had over Lawler. Lombard is a very tough fight for Rory.

I reluctantly say Lombard. After his last fight I'm not sure how he would fare against a striker like Condit, MacDonald or Lawler.

I wanna know why the two Cubans are built the way they are. Is this common with Cuban genetics?

The answer here is Lombard by a lot.

Lombard is a better fighter than Romero. Much more complete, doesn't have a tendency to get rocked almost every fight. Doesn't get taken down by sub par wrestlers etc.

And Chris Weidman is worlds better than Lawler/Hendricks/Rory.

Both are long shots though.

Romero unless he gets stopped early. he's unbeatable in the 3rd because that's when god joins the fight.

Back