Lombard is sooo overrated

he's like the striking version of palhares. he can plow over most mw's imo. but he'll have trouble vs the more technical fighters.

Lombard is a brawler, and a game plan against him is very simple: don't stay in the fuckin pocket. The reason why so many people think he can be a contender is because he's built like a fire hydrant and has an "exciting" style which is swinging for the fencies from close range

Not being able to beat Anderson doesn't make him overrated. I see some awesome fights at 185 for him

Bisping, belcher, vitor, weidman etc

I think he'd take out belcher and maybe bisping

Pretty sure he wasn't saying he was overrated because he cant beat Silva dude.
He said he was overrated because
he has no footwork, kicks, no set up or combinations to get inside, he,s flatfooted. Anybody with a decent footwork, low kicks and a jab would pick this guy apart easily.

He just followed it saying a fight with Silva would be embarrassing.

Me, personally I don't feel like I've seen enough of Lombard to make a decision one way or the other.
Edit: I just looked at his resume. Jesus! I should check those fights out.

I don't know where he'll land up but he fought Palhares the same way Dan Henderson did, but he clearly had more success with it. His previous showing wasn't good though so it's a bit hard to say where he's at.

This sounds sort of like fighter bashing....Lombard is a real contender go watch his fights.

Lombard is actually a pretty decent striker, hes been boxing for longer than most fighter's in mma and brought up in Cubas boxing schools. He has great hand games, good counters, power, and is good at maintaining the range he wants.

I don't get the hype about this guy, some even went so far and put him in the title mix. Lombard is dangerous in the pocket, he throws some powerful wild hooks but he has no footwork, kicks, no set up or combinations to get inside, he,s flatfooted. Anybody with a decent footwork, low kicks and a jab would pick this guy apart easily.
And please don't talk about silva vs lombard, it would be embarrassing, silva would toy with this dude

Hater.

tumblr_llxwisqIu51qafrh6.gif

based on his collective body of work from Bellator and beyond i cant understand how anyone would be anything less then excited to have this guy in the UFC...

I guess being selected to box for Cuba against every other kid in the country is because he cant box and is flat footed( power). You have no idea what your talking about. His footwork is awesome if you consider he is trying to keep the fight standing

WTF do you mean selected to box for cuba? I could not find any boxing credentials about this dude, and he was never signed to box for Cuba as in World Am's, Pan Am, or Olympic Boxing. He has power, but he is not some great boxer. He would get shredded in boxing.

I don't understand what's so overrated about him. If anything, most people on Sherdog up until his fight with Palhares were severely underrating him. The poor guy has only lost one fight in the last 6 years, and everyone jumped on him as soon as it happened. He has spectacular power, good striking skills, and he has good judo. He also fights in one of the weaker divisions in the UFC, which gives him a relatively fast track to top contender status. He's not going to beat AS, but I don't see why he can't beat some of the better guys underneath AS.

he may not be a technical striker, but his power and explosiveness kinda compensate for that. you also forgot to mention his extensive judo background, the guy has great takedowns, top control and gnp, he may get taken apart on the feet but he's more than capable of taking a lot of guys down and beating them up there.

i don't think he'd beat silva, but he's a top 10 MW for sure.

I agree with this, how much of a 'beast' or how 'overrated' he is will depend on how successful he is at taking guys down when they try to pick him to peaces standing. His ground game should make him a handful for anyone and no-one but a top level ADCC grappler would choose to go there with him. He is very flat footed though. If he doesn't learn to move then he will lose.

It is Palahares that is over rated being over rated by fans like me. Its really hard to be a Toqiono fan right now. I dont see him staying in the UFC, I hope he gets some wins in other orgs.

I agree. Lombard is overrated. People point to his body of work in Bellator and elsewhere, but how many of those guys were top ten? That doesn't prove that he's no damn good, but it also doesn't prove that he's a beast either.

Ballsy to post this knowing you'll be flamed but yes he is very overrated.
Overrated does not mean a fighter is not good it means a fighter is thought to be far better than he is. And based off the "Lombard will be MW champ and rule the UFC" threads that pop up every time he fights yes he is overrated. He is talented but he doesn't nearly have the abilities some people make him out to have

Back