Lomachenko.

Lara was closer than Trout

And that pesky GGG guy
just rewatched lara/canelo. i gave lara the 1st, 9th, 10th, and 12th. i think you might be able to give him the 7th but that’s being generous. like i thought, very competitive but canelo gave him absolute hell to the body. i mean absolutely brutal shots. hats off to lara for barely showing any effect on those.

Does every thread have to devolve into canelo ggg?

just rewatched lara/canelo. i gave lara the 1st, 9th, 10th, and 12th. i think you might be able to give him the 7th but that’s being generous. like i thought, very competitive but canelo gave him absolute hell to the body. i mean absolutely brutal shots. hats off to lara for barely showing any effect on those.
That lara fight really wasn't close at all. Making a guy look bad doesn't necessarily mean you're doing enough to win.

That lara fight really wasn't close at all. Making a guy look bad doesn't necessarily mean you're doing enough to win.
I don't think Lara won but to say it wasn't close at all or that making someone look bad doesn't win are questionable statements.

If you don't make your man pay for looking bad in various ways then i guess but iirc Lara was doing better than almost anyone has against Canelo

and lara still looked way worse. the crowd was booing him loudly and often. like i said, hats off to him for taking all those body shots... but he took all those body shots and maybe landed 10 or 11 good shots the whole fight.

I don't think Lara won but to say it wasn't close at all or that making someone look bad doesn't win are questionable statements.

If you don't make your man pay for looking bad in various ways then i guess but iirc Lara was doing better than almost anyone has against Canelo
trout did far better in my eyes. got canelo up against the ropes and playing defense for large chunks of the fight. i should rewatch that one tonight too.

trout did far better in my eyes. got canelo up against the ropes and playing defense for large chunks of the fight. i should rewatch that one tonight too.
I'll have to as well. You very well could be right

Meh, no judge is giving anyone who runs like that any rounds. It was close for an amateur fight maybe ,where any scoring blow is equal.

Lara, IMO still tries to win like he's an amateur. He's never really adjusted his style as a pro. Like for example, he throws a nice 1-2 but before the 2 lands, he's already moving backwards. He's probably never won a round on effective aggression in his entire career and we all know that judges tend to favor the aggressor unless the boxer is landing some pretty stiff counters. On top of that, after about 3 rounds, Lara seems to believe he's done enough to win a 12 round decision. IMO, the scoring criteria was all Canelo in the fight. He was the effective aggressor and the ring general , cutting off the ring and ripping the body, setting the overall pace. He landed the majority of the crisp, hard punches, when Lara would hold (which was all the time) Canelo would be working inside.

Trout did better but Canelo was barely trying because he knew he was ahead. Open scoring fucked up that fight.

Trout did better but Canelo was barely trying because he knew he was ahead. Open scoring fucked up that fight.
yeah i definitely have to go back and watch it again. i feel like a lot of us had trout winning in the PBP thread. canelo wasn’t quite the megastar yet, and didn’t have a ton of diehard fans. fuck it i’ll rewatch it now

yeah i definitely have to go back and watch it again. i feel like a lot of us had trout winning in the PBP thread. canelo wasn’t quite the megastar yet, and didn’t have a ton of diehard fans. fuck it i’ll rewatch it now
had it 6-5-1 canelo with the added knockdown point. i think that comes to 115-113 canelo. a lot closer than the lara fight imo but yeah canelo deserved the win. not sure how i ever scored that fight for trout lmao i think on the stream, i thought more of his jabs were landing

Meh, no judge is giving anyone who runs like that any rounds. It was close for an amateur fight maybe ,where any scoring blow is equal.

Lara, IMO still tries to win like he's an amateur. He's never really adjusted his style as a pro. Like for example, he throws a nice 1-2 but before the 2 lands, he's already moving backwards. He's probably never won a round on effective aggression in his entire career and we all know that judges tend to favor the aggressor unless the boxer is landing some pretty stiff counters. On top of that, after about 3 rounds, Lara seems to believe he's done enough to win a 12 round decision. IMO, the scoring criteria was all Canelo in the fight. He was the effective aggressor and the ring general , cutting off the ring and ripping the body, setting the overall pace. He landed the majority of the crisp, hard punches, when Lara would hold (which was all the time) Canelo would be working inside.
I actually do mostly see all this

. Like for example, he throws a nice 1-2 but before the 2 lands, he's already moving backwards.
floyd does the same things. he will land with the right, but he is already pulling back and doesn't punch "through" his opponent.

floyd does the same things. he will land with the right, but he is already pulling back and doesn't punch "through" his opponent.
Floyd is willing to exchange with guys though, always was. Floyd would fight right in the pocket with guys. Lara was more often than not, on the other side of the ring from the opponent.

He also lost to an average fighter who was way past his prime

No one is claiming Davis is anything close to P4P #1, unlike that overrated fraud Loma who is ranked above guys with far superior resumes, like Canelo.

People get over-critical about that second pro fight Lomachenko had against a guy who made fights against elite level guys close. Even after the split win, Salido was giving top guys rough close fights. Lomachenko comes off a tough split loss and goes after GRJ (not an easy fight for anyone) and makes it one-sided. Now he is undefeated since then.

People get over-critical about that second pro fight Lomachenko had against a guy who made fights against elite level guys close. Even after the split win, Salido was giving top guys rough close fights. Lomachenko comes off a tough split loss and goes after GRJ (not an easy fight for anyone) and makes it one-sided. Now he is undefeated since then.
good call. i forgot about that fight. GRJ, rocky, walters, rigondeaux, campbell, linares, pedraza

that’s absolutely worth top p4p consideration. canelo is really the only guy i can see with a better resume

People are only overly critical of it because other people like to pretend it didn't happen and get all emotional about it when its brought up. ESPN keeps showing his record as 14-0, for example.

People are only overly critical of it because other people like to pretend it didn't happen and get all emotional about it when its brought up. ESPN keeps showing his record as 14-0, for example.

Well he's clearly not undefeated....

Wow, never noticed the 14-0 thing. Loma should be celebrated for the lone loss, it was a ballsy move taking on a guy like Salido at 1-0. The outcome of that fight feels more like a blemish when they try and ignore it, Loma and Salido put on a show and a close fight, a learning experience for Loma and he's shined since. I really like the guy, I think he is great in the ring and I enjoy his interviews, he seems to want the best fights and also seems to care a hell of a lot less about a loss than his handlers do.

good call. i forgot about that fight. GRJ, rocky, walters, rigondeaux, campbell, linares, pedraza

that’s absolutely worth top p4p consideration. canelo is really the only guy i can see with a better resume

Well I don't really have a preference for his ranking for p4p, but I do think that people get a bit too critical.

Back