Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez possible September 19

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Shael, Jul 1, 2020.

1. aries Silver Belt

Floyd certainly put on perfect performances but he's no longer with us. The only other fighters approaching that are Loma and Canelo, with a close runner up in Usyk. Yes, it will be interesting to see if Loma can swim without getting wet because he is a very offensive fighter compared to someone like Floyd, so it's much harder to stay safe with that approach. But he has statistically the best defence of any active boxer.

2. JayE Red Belt

Floyd never took a challenge like Teofimo Lopez?

Minowafanatic and Hagler like this.
  3. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

That statement may sound absurd but not when you break it down. Floyd was always the longer and/or faster man. Loma's only clear advantages on paper against Lopez are skill, experience and stamina. And there's no catchweight or rehydration clause handicaps to weaken/drain Lopez who is naturally the much bigger, longer, stronger, younger, more explosive man.

Jonny Ninja and SandisLL like this.
  4. Seano Hands of bone

Shael likes this.
  5. wolfss Purple Belt

lol. In all combat sports?? Ooookkaaay!!! Hahah. Most boxing is boring as fuck. But this is interesting enough that I seen it on yahoo and had to come check if it’s signed.

6. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

7. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

The fight will suck because boxing is boring. The post-fight celebrations are where it's at, really.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wolfss Purple Belt

Yea. I seen a few highlights of Fimo, never a full fight tho!! I like his celebrations

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  9. PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

Do we have a date?

10. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

October 17th

11. PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

I see. Thanks, man. I thought I saw that but was hoping I was wrong. I have an "event" that night. Will have to watch late on DVR in all likelihood. Oh well, I will do that. Still can't wait.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  12. JayE Red Belt

You'll understand if I'm a tad reluctant to say a guy whose entire resume is stopping a mid top 10 LW is a bigger challenge than anyone Floyd ever fought. Breaking it down isn't making it any less of a stretch.

Minowafanatic, StopDucking and Seano like this.
  13. Seano Hands of bone

Look, I like you and all but thats just not my thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PHATV and Shael like this.
  14. PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

You'll come around. I'm nothing if not persistent.

Hagler likes this.
  15. Yehudim Green Belt

There’s nothing gay about two bros watching two other bros doing a topless pillow fight

16. Seano Hands of bone

Even if one guy is sort of fat and has man boobs?

17. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Nothing at all gay about this either

18. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

This.

Lol at thinking Lomachenko taking on 23 year-old, 15-0 Lopez at 32 years old is a bigger challenge than Floyd taking on 23 year-old, 42-0-1 Canelo at 36 years old.

Hagler likes this.
  19. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

How is a guy that frequently gets hit more than Floyd (Loma) going against a much bigger puncher than Canelo (Lopez) less risky than Canelo was for Floyd? Do you not realize that Canelo & Lopez only ever realistically have/had a puncher's chance? Lopez has legit one-shot power in both hands and he's probably the most explosive fighter in the sport today. That's both speed & power combined, not just power like Canelo had over Floyd. Lopez also has the higher finishing rate opposition aside (and Commey was supposed to be a big step up, had never been stopped, yet he couldn't even last longer than a few minutes). You also neglected to mention that Floyd is arguably the greatest defensive fighter ever (how often did you really expect Canelo would be hitting him?), was laughably faster than Canelo, longer, far more proven and experienced, and quite literally better at everything.

Most importantly, Floyd was always going to be a nightmare match-up for Canelo given that he's the superior boxer, the superior counterpuncher (which btw is Canelo's own style), and mover. And it played out exactly like that. Strategically he was going to be able to beat Canelo at his own game regardless. It also can't be ignored that Canelo was brought down to fight at a 152 pound catchweight despite being accustomed to the 154 pound limit for several years and this was while he was still physically maturing/filling out.

20. moosaev Yellow Card Yellow Card

Bud Crawford has been much closer to putting on "perfect" performances than Canelo. Canelo arguably lost both GGG fights, and he has a slew of controversial decisions behind him. Don't get me wrong he's a great fighter, but its his amazing branding that has put him in the category of Floyd/Loma, not his fighting.