Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez possible September 19

If about average, yeah, best availability of sparring partners is in US but maybe now too he also picks some guys from europe to add.
not that easy to hire enough boxers from top 5% in required size.
And he definitely does needs not just few guys despite round robin usually is used to prepare for 10 and 12 rounders.
The reason I say that the US is better for sparring is because we have many more professional boxers in the US than they do in the Ukraine. The pool is many times larger. More importantly Lopez is American with an American style to match (a crab/shell catch & shoot counterpunching style). Lomachenko won't be able to easily find sparring partners that are as athletic as Lopez but lots of American fighters use that type of catch & shoot countering style with the shoulder roll. I don't think he brought any sparring partners from the Ukraine but maybe he did.

Lopez might be toughtest fight for Loma after fight with Campbell.

@Kovalev's "Man Bag"
Matter of factly? Yeah. And all your points are on a surface level, valid.
I think if you look closer at their similarities you’ll see that they’re not so similar in at least two significant ways, besides the ones that I mentioned in the previous comment.

Yeah they both prefer operating at midrange and in front of their opponents and like to let their hands go (if I’m remembering your comparison right). But:

1. Loma uses level changes and pivots, angles, to keep his opponents off balance which generally keeps him safe and opens up opportunities to attack. Khan, in comparison, even though he’s much improved skill wise, is still 2D compared to Loma’s 3D

2. Loma is much more sophisticated in how he uses his punches. He doesn’t just string combinations together like Khan, he he incorporates changes in rhythm. He touches his opponents in order to keep their hands home and probe for openings, set up punches.

These two facets of his skill set along with his athleticism allow him to fight the way he does.

He’s not perfect, as evidenced by the knockdown against Linares, but given how skilled Linares is and how
clean Loma’s record is I think that’s an exception to the rule with him. One knockdown doesn’t a pattern make.

No, Seano means that Loma got dropped once and so he’s like Khan, you know......stylistically speaking.

<{Heymansnicker}>

doesn't also means that much, Povetkin 41 y.o get dropped vs Whyte but still KOed him deeply, lol how amazing KO Povetkin handled out.
more important, had one get damaged or no.
Dadashev walked on his foot till end, it did not helped him to survive.

Khan and Loma ???
Do you even boxing, bro ?

<{walkerwhut}>
They're pretty similar. Fast footed guys, who dart in and out throwing a bunch of combos. I'm not comparing Mickey Ward and Pernell Whitaker here, settle down.

So then Ali from 60 ies and Tyson till 1988th too were like Khan because they were fast footed?
Or no just because they were from US?
-
Sorry, Ali from 60 ies too used in - out distance change despite in prizefighting spectactors more evalued just his opponent's clowning and knockouts not angles and distance change.
Nor ofc also Tyson's combos and in out game.

@Kovalev's "Man Bag"

No, Seano means that Loma got dropped once and so he’s like Khan, you know......stylistically speaking.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Oh okay. I get it. He’s been dropped once which equates to getting dropped in every other fight :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Yeah. In fact, the contracts were signed today. Here's a picture of them signing. Top Rank is going to make an official announcement for the fight tomorrow.

Vasiliy Lomachenko and Teofimo Lopez sign contracts for Oct. 17 fight

giphy.gif

Ha ha that is perfect timing!
It really was. Though Top Rank should've sent those contracts long ago and they should've been signed by both fighters before either entered camp. They probably figured since both fighters accepted the terms and had already entered camp then they were going to sign anyway but that's still doing business backwards. Fortunately it's all worked out and they'll be announcing the fight "officially" today.

It really was. Though Top Rank should've sent those contracts long ago and they should've been signed by both fighters before either entered camp. They probably figured since both fighters accepted the terms and had already entered camp then they were going to sign anyway but that's still doing business backwards. Fortunately it's all worked out and they'll be announcing the fight "officially" today.
Yeah seems like a strange way of doing business. Just glad it's all going ahead.

Lopez might be toughest fight for Loma after fight with Campbell.

In terms of tactics, no. Not even close. Lopez' youth and fast twitch speed and power are what make him tough. Loma will have to be focused for the entire duration of the fight. No mental lapses and admiring his own work like he did against Linares because Lopez could put him top sleep if given the same opening.

But if Loma is on the ball he should be able to school Lopez and possibly stop him.

In terms of tactics, no. Not even close. Lopez' youth and fast twitch speed and power are what make him tough. Loma will have to be focused for the entire duration of the fight. No mental lapses and admiring his own work like he did against Linares because Lopez could put him top sleep if given the same opening.

But if Loma is on the ball he should be able to school Lopez and possibly stop him.
Yeah I agree. Loma will have to be pitch-perfect if he's going to stay safe against Lopez. But if any fighter can do it, it's Loma.

Yeah I agree. Loma will have to be pitch-perfect if he's going to stay safe against Lopez. But if any fighter can do it, it's Loma.
If any fighter can do it is Floyd. He had the style to tame guys like Lopez and the chin.
Although he never took a challenge like that.
Loma is great, with great defence and movement, but he fights up close.
That makes the match all the more interesting though. A match for the ages.

Back