Loma vs Duran???

What do you mean by one dimensional?

Do you mean like he uses his offense as his defense and even a step further, he basically just stays in mid range? Like broad strokes....i can see what you'd mean.

But the closer you zoom in, the subtleties are definitely there.

He is a borderline savant when it comes to being an offensive boxer dipping in and out at angles and dictating range. He is SPECIAL and i can't see how you'd deny him of that, you're above the level of knowledge where I'd even believe you if you denied it. I don't see Duran on that level.

Duran is every bit as good(well, better actually) fighter than Loma is boxer but if either guy tried beating the other at his game, he'd get beat.
He fights the same way in every fight. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he's not great at what he does do, but he's not really a really versatile fighter. He has a certain range he fights at, he's not good backing up and doesn't have much inside game.

What do you mean by one dimensional?

Do you mean like he uses his offense as his defense and even a step further, he basically just stays in mid range? Like broad strokes....i can see what you'd mean.

But the closer you zoom in, the subtleties are definitely there.

He is a borderline savant when it comes to being an offensive boxer dipping in and out at angles and dictating range. He is SPECIAL and i can't see how you'd deny him of that, you're above the level of knowledge where I'd even believe you if you denied it. I don't see Duran on that level.

Duran is every bit as good(well, better actually) fighter than Loma is boxer but if either guy tried beating the other at his game, he'd get beat.

The thing is he’s exceptional at what he does, but he’s been dropped twice, hurt to the body and struggled against salido. He just hasn't put in the work to go up against Duran, compare Cholo to Salido. Duran’s timing, the variation of his combinations are far from basic just how quickly he cut off the ring and how his foot speed was when he was on, he’d be in Loma’s face when ever he wanted imo. Of course the tougher fights Loma gets into the more it would help to play this match out. I know it isn’t Lomas fault.

Duran started at LW and competes at MW, his best work (aside from beating Leonard at his very best) was at lightweight, which is not Lomachenko's best weight. Since their xeiling weights are different, Duran's size advantage would be too much to overlook. Additionally, Duran got his moniker, Hands of Stone, from bring so highly destructive at LW. Loma struggled with Salido who was far less refined, less powerful, and much smaller than Duran (granted it was only his second pro fight) so I don't see how Lomachenko wins this.

Lomachenko is the the goods, by the way, but Duran is a bigger fighter and an all time great.

Loma is a small LW with questionable resistance to pressure fighting.

Duran is Roberto motherfucking Duran.

Lomachenko gives a few ATGs a good matchup, provided they are a tad lighter than 135. Duran makes him enter a world of pain.

Duran started at LW and competes at MW, his best work (aside from beating Leonard at his very best) was at lightweight, which is not Lomachenko's best weight. Since their xeiling weights are different, Duran's size advantage would be too much to overlook. Additionally, Duran got his moniker, Hands of Stone, from bring so highly destructive at LW. Loma struggled with Salido who was far less refined, less powerful, and much smaller than Duran (granted it was only his second pro fight) so I don't see how Lomachenko wins this.

Lomachenko is the the goods, by the way, but Duran is a bigger fighter and an all time great.
Duran started his career at bantamweight.

Hard one. My favourite current fighter vs my second favourite all time favourite. I'd have to go with Duran, he was just naturally bigger and he had a really effective and damaging inside game. Part of me thinks that Loma could do a SRL on him (2nd fight) and dance around him but I think Loma is too offensively minded to adopt that hit and run tactic. What I wouldn't count out is that Loma and his father are masterful tacticians and they'd have an amazing game plan to beat Duran. I'd love to see what they'd come up with but I'd still lean toward the bigger, tougher, harder hitting fighter to come out on top.

Duran started his career at bantamweight.

Thanks.

As a teenager he may have started as a bantamweight, but he was not fully grown yet (most males aren't until the age of 22).He still had a higher ceiling weight than Loma does, and, is thus, the bigger man.

Duran by stoppage. Too tough, and one of the best of all time.

Tough fight for Loma. Duran great at closing distance and fighting on the inside. Tough fight for Duran too. I'll take Duran by a very competitive decision.

Duran wrecks him. Come on, this is the guy who couldn't beat Salido vs one of the roughest, toughest lightweights to ever live.

lol that was his 2nd pro fight.

DeJesus outboxed Duran at MSG and Duran had over 30 fights under his belt.

Hard one. My favourite current fighter vs my second favourite all time favourite. I'd have to go with Duran, he was just naturally bigger and he had a really effective and damaging inside game. Part of me thinks that Loma could do a SRL on him (2nd fight) and dance around him but I think Loma is too offensively minded to adopt that hit and run tactic. What I wouldn't count out is that Loma and his father are masterful tacticians and they'd have an amazing game plan to beat Duran. I'd love to see what they'd come up with but I'd still lean toward the bigger, tougher, harder hitting fighter to come out on top.
the one thing loma truly impresses me with, is his ability to adapt and over come adversity. the way he adjusted his game against gary russel when he realised that russel was too fast for him (walked him down and stood on the inside (cough) countering) or the way he started hunting linares's body to get the finish, when linares was giving him trouble was really impressive. the guy has a heart and a mind for boxing. all that being said i wouldn't favour him to beat duran, and would put the odds at about 3-1 against him.

The first few rounds are interesting but Duran stops him in the last four. Loma's barely a LW and Duran is one of the most sophisticated pressure fighters of all time.

lol that was his 2nd pro fight.

DeJesus outboxed Duran at MSG and Duran had over 30 fights under his belt.

DeJesus would be far and away Lomachenko's best win. I mean, I'm not sure if most would even favour Lomachenko over a full-sized LW with skill and power like DeJesus.

We need a Loma vs... sub-subforum.

DeJesus would be far and away Lomachenko's best win. I mean, I'm not sure if most would even favour Lomachenko over a full-sized LW with skill and power like DeJesus.
De Jesus wasn't that big of a Lightweight. The highest he campaigned at was Junior Welterweight. Lomachenko would be favored to beat him if the fight was made today. He gets credit for beating Duran in their first fight (and dropping him again in their second) but it was also in a 10 round non-title bout when at the time Duran really only had the Buchanan win on his résumé. De Jesus only had a career 56% KO rate. He hit harder than the numbers show but he wasn't some huge puncher.

I hope for Lomachenko he ends up getting as good a LW win as De Jesus when it’s all said and done.

De Jesus wasn't that big of a Lightweight. The highest he campaigned at was Junior Welterweight. Lomachenko would be favored to beat him if the fight was made today. He gets credit for beating Duran in their first fight (and dropping him again in their second) but it was also in a 10 round non-title bout when at the time Duran really only had the Buchanan win on his résumé. De Jesus only had a career 56% KO rate. He hit harder than the numbers show but he wasn't some huge puncher.

He was a full-sized LW who peaked very high and fell very abruptly, for obvious reasons. He's appreciably better and a bigger hitter than any LW Lomachenko fought. It was silly of me to bring up who would be favoured in terms of betting odds between men who existed on the earth at the same time for a year or maybe two, but De Jesus would be a much more interesting proposition than anyone Lomachenko has fought to date, and it's completely reasonable to think he could beat a guy like Lomachenko. Lomachenko is a rather small LW, and he's not the kind of guy with the abilities to overcome considerable size and strength disadvantages against guys who are properly elite, at least, that's my opinion.

At his best weightclass (in my mind likely FW even if he'd be a bit tested to make it at his age now), he'd give most guys, even ATGs, all kinds of fits, but LW is a different kind of beast.

He was a full-sized LW who peaked very high and fell very abruptly, for obvious reasons. He's appreciably better and a bigger hitter than any LW Lomachenko fought. It was silly of me to bring up who would be favoured in terms of betting odds between men who existed on the earth at the same time for a year or maybe two, but De Jesus would be a much more interesting proposition than anyone Lomachenko has fought to date, and it's completely reasonable to think he could beat a guy like Lomachenko. Lomachenko is a rather small LW, and he's not the kind of guy with the abilities to overcome considerable size and strength disadvantages against guys who are properly elite, at least, that's my opinion.

At his best weightclass (in my mind likely FW even if he'd be a bit tested to make it at his age now), he'd give most guys, even ATGs, all kinds of fits, but LW is a different kind of beast.
The only top guy De Jesus ever finished at Lightweight was Mijares. He also holds a stoppage win over Frazer but that was at Junior Welterweight. Those are the only two top guys he's ever finished in a 63-fight career. Loma is very small at Lightweight where guys like Campbell dwarf him. While they have advantages in size, strength and power he holds significant advantages in speed, cardio, defense, and mobility. If we're talking how he stacks up against natural Lightweight ATGs then I agree but it also applies to any naturally smaller great fighter when pitted against a larger great fighter to some extent or another.

Back