Loma vs Campbell for vacant WBC lightweight title

And you could tell it was a terrible mismatch. Which it was. I’m no Loma hater. I do enjoy decent matchups.
I called it a mismatch ahead of time, however, Crolla was more than just an alphabet body ranked fighter which you stated (even though admittedly he didn't deserve to be Top 5 rated by anybody). Commey got injured and had to withdraw. His injury was half as severe as Loma's in the Crolla fight where he broke his hand and dislocated his MCP joint. And, unlike Commey, he isn't asking for a tune-up to test out his hand which is currently in a cast, he's knocking on the same doors he has been since last year to unify the division. Mikey vacated and Campbell was already his mandatory so we're getting this to fill the vacancy.

This isn't a great fight but Campbell at least has a big size advantage and evidently it's going to be held in the UK per Arum. That can't hurt Campbell's chances should it go the distance. This will setup a bigger fight to unify all 4 titles in early 2020 with the winner of Teofimo Lopez and Commey for the IBF title.

I called it a mismatch ahead of time, however, Crolla was more than just an alphabet body ranked fighter which you stated (even though admittedly he didn't deserve to be Top 5 rated by anybody). Commey got injured and had to withdraw. His injury was half as severe as Loma's in the Crolla fight where he broke his hand and dislocated his MCP joint. And, unlike Commey, he isn't asking for a tune-up to test out his hand which is currently in a cast, he's knocking on the same doors he has been since last year to unify the division. Mikey vacated and Campbell was already his mandatory so we're getting this to fill the vacancy.

This isn't a great fight but Campbell at least has a big size advantage and evidently it's going to be held in the UK per Arum. That can't hurt Campbell's chances should it go the distance. This will setup a bigger fight to unify all 4 titles in early 2020 with the winner of Teofimo Lopez and Commey for the IBF title.

Loma has to do with whoever is available. I don’t blame him. Campbell sounds like Mikey Garcia after Crolla, so that’s fine with me.

Commey is fighting Beltran

Poor Crolla, he's a decent pro, has beaten Rees, Burns and Murray in a thriller, hung in with Linares for 24 rds. Lomachenko is just that good.

Commey is fighting Beltran
Yes, but as a voluntary defense that his own promoter (DiBella) described as a "tune-up" fight last month to BoxingScene. Commey could be fighting Loma next instead because that was agreed to before he even won the IBF title. That was the original plan between DiBella and Arum and he would've had until September to recover and plenty of time to train.

No voluntary defense was necessary on Commey's part to delay the unification further is all I'm saying. Commey will beat Beltran and then fight Lopez (after he wins his IBF title eliminator in July for his shot at Commey). The winner brings the IBF title to the table and will meet Loma (assuming he beats Campbell) in an undisputed title fight planned for early 2020.

Yes, but as a voluntary defense that his own promoter (DiBella) described as a "tune-up" fight last month to BoxingScene. Commey could be fighting Loma next instead because that was agreed to before he even won the IBF title. That was the original plan between DiBella and Arum and he would've had until September to recover and plenty of time to train.

No voluntary defense was necessary on Commey's part to delay the unification further is all I'm saying. Commey will beat Beltran and then fight Lopez (after he wins his IBF title eliminator in July for his shot at Commey). The winner brings the IBF title to the table and will meet Loma (assuming he beats Campbell) in an undisputed title fight planned for early 2020.
On a side note, I don't think Commey is at a level where he can consider Beltran a tune-up. I believe he's better than Beltran, but Beltran could give him problems with pressure.

That said, it depends on when the IBF orders the mandatory to be made. Because if they wait until after Loma/Campbell, which I believe will be in September, the unification almost always takes precedent over the mandatory. The only issue would be that Bob would be screwing over Teofimo in that process, but if Loma thinks the Commey/Beltran winner is easier for his path at being undisputed champion than Teofimo(which at this point, I think Commey is a tougher fight but Teofimo is more dangerous, in about a year or 2, I think Lopez is going to be a stud and force in the division), he could try and negotiate it before the mandatory is ordered. Money talks as well. Though, Loma and Teofimo do seem to want to fight each other.

On a side note, I don't think Commey is at a level where he can consider Beltran a tune-up. I believe he's better than Beltran, but Beltran could give him problems with pressure.

That said, it depends on when the IBF orders the mandatory to be made. Because if they wait until after Loma/Campbell, which I believe will be in September, the unification almost always takes precedent over the mandatory. The only issue would be that Bob would be screwing over Teofimo in that process, but if Loma thinks the Commey/Beltran winner is easier for his path at being undisputed champion than Teofimo(which at this point, I think Commey is a tougher fight but Teofimo is more dangerous, in about a year or 2, I think Lopez is going to be a stud and force in the division), he could try and negotiate it before the mandatory is ordered. Money talks as well. Though, Loma and Teofimo do seem to want to fight each other.
There is an issue with that though. I don't think Teofimo will be a lightweight next year. I've seen him talk in interviews and he was talking about how his body responds would determine if he continues to fight at LW or move up. And Loma is even talking about going South to 130.

There is an issue with that though. I don't think Teofimo will be a lightweight next year. I've seen him talk in interviews and he was talking about how his body responds would determine if he continues to fight at LW or move up. And Loma is even talking about going South to 130.
Well, to be fair to Loma, he kinda has to go down to 130 for fights at the moment if Mikey is determined to be a welterweight

Well, to be fair to Loma, he kinda has to go down to 130 for fights at the moment if Mikey is determined to be a welterweight
Yeah I don't blame him at all. If that's where the fights are. I was just noting that Loma and Lopez are looking to be heading away from each other.

Loma told lopez to get a belt then he can talk. But I mean Beltran will only show everyone how bad Commey is going to get it when/if he fights Lopez. Commey might go straight at Loma. This might Favor Commey not risking an L to lopez only guy winning is Arum since Id be 2 fights.

Yeah I don't blame him at all. If that's where the fights are. I was just noting that Loma and Lopez are looking to be heading away from each other.

As of when? Strange because all Lopez talks about is fighting Loma.

As of when? Strange because all Lopez talks about is fighting Loma.
He said it in an interview. Said that he wanted Commey first and then Loma after but also said he doesn't know how long his body can make weight at LW. Loma won't be fighting until Sept against Campbell most likely. So that just leaves the last part of the year to make a Lopez fight assuming he can still make weight by then and that he has a belt to fight for.

He said it in an interview. Said that he wanted Commey first and then Loma after but also said he doesn't know how long his body can make weight at LW. Loma won't be fighting until Sept against Campbell most likely. So that just leaves the last part of the year to make a Lopez fight assuming he can still make weight by then and that he has a belt to fight for.

That would suck to see. Hope he can stick around he’s only 21.

he's clearly ducking commey and mikey.

nevermind one is injured and the other left the division, it's all on lomachenko and arum.

also, if guys he's beating were any good, he wouldn't be beating them the way he is. making world champions quit on the stool clearly means they were always just bums.
<mma4>

Saturday, August 31, 2019 O2 Arena, London
ESPN, Sky Sports 5PM ET/2PM PT

The entire undercard will stream on ESPN+ starting at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.

Vasiliy Lomachenko (13-1, 10 KOs) vs Luke Campbell (20-2, 16 KOs) -

WBC, WBO, WBA Lightweight Titles

I see a lot of people underselling Campbell and claiming this will be an easy fight for Loma. I don't see that.

I think Campbell is good enough, and big enough, to give Loma at least some problems. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the distance and if Campbell scores a knockdown at some point.

He has two losses, yes. But he avenged one and the Linares fight was close and could've gone either way.

Well, that was the opening bout, I guess. And that's all I'm going to say about that...

Back