lol now this is my first proper full powerlifting event.

maori rule all

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hows it going??

My first powerlifting competition was in April but it was just a single lift competition for the deadlift.

Now I'm entering my first full powerlifting event with all 3 lifts involved. I know the rules for deadlift but for the Squat and Bench Press I only have a rough idea, if anyone could help me with this.

The squat has to go to parallel at least and th grip can be as far as the collars of the bar. But what about bar placement. The bar usually sits quite high when I squat resting on the upper traps. Is this ok?

The bench press I think I've got covered the bar can be gripped no more than 81cm's apart and has to be lowered to the chest, either the top of the chest or as low as the breast bone then the bar must be pressed on command with no head, shoulder or ass movement of the bench, plus feet have to be flat on the ground. Is that right??

The reason I ask is I lift at home and have never been taught how to lift or the rules, as the gym I have went to is in another city and the coach had his bladder removed a month ago so I havn't been able to see him.

I'm aiming to
Squat-120kg
Bench- 100kg
Deadlift- 200kg

Also, ask for a rulebook from the federation you are lifting in. Different feds sometimes have different rules.

Make sure you have someone give you a press command when you're practicing benching. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

Definetely find out what federation it is. Find out what the lifting commands are, and practice them in training. You don't want to lose a good squat just because you rack it before you're supposed to or something similar.

Hi Maori,

I've noticed that your squat is much lower than your deadlift. It lies close to your bench press mark. I know this is kinda off topic, but the fact just caught my attention, since it is not that usual.
Have you always squatted (I mean, since you started training)? Improving your squat can help you do a lot better in the event.

Good luck!

Improving your squat can help you do a lot better in the event.

Good luck!

So wait a minute...are you saying squatting more will help in a powerlifting event? I bet no one ever thought of that!!!!

So wait a minute...are you saying squatting more will help in a powerlifting event? I bet no one ever thought of that!!!!

Please don't be a jerk. Your comment brought nothing to the discussion. I only said that his squat is lagging too much behind his deadlift, and that's not usual. It probably means there

Agreed, work your squat and your deadlift will go up.

The biggest errors I've seen at powerlifting meets are:

1) Not waiting for the "rack" command after completing a benchpress.

2) Blatantly beating the "press" call in the benchpress.

3) Not waiting for the "start" command in the squat after you've taken the bar out of the racks/monolift.

4) Not paying attention to where you are in the flight and then not being prepared to lift when they call you to the platform.

5) Hitching the bar up your legs when you deadlift.

6) Lifting your butt off the bench during the benchpress.

What federation are you competing in?

Sean Katterle
Watch the complete Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting

Federation is especially important in bench press, because they all have different commands, length of pauses, different rules on foot placement, what was to be on the bench, etc.

The rules are under the IPF.

International Powerlifting Federation.

Sorry it took so long to reply I was working in my part time job last night.

I've been benching and deadlifting for a long time compared to my squat because I worked out at home and never had anything to rack the bar on to squat. So I invested on a squat rack last september and only started squating then, but some injuries here and there from rugby has stopped me lifting some weeks and close to a month or so in some cases, so my gains would fluxulate. At one stage i could bench more than I could squat but my squat is getting more consistant gains than my Bench, slow but consistant. I'm also not built for suatting at all lmao, My legs are very long probably out of proportion to my body, but again, I can't neglect my weakness's

Agreed, work your squat and your deadlift will go up.

I realised that whenever i went to my coach's gym for the first time, it was before the deadlifting competition and he was braking the deadlift down and said I lift with all back. He said the deadlift broken down into stages should be legs, legs legs then back. He further mentioned my deadlift was more, legs, back, back, back. My legs just aren't strong enough to deadlift like that, so I'm hopeing my squat and leg and hip/ass strength improve greatly over the next few months to help my deadlift further.

Thanks smashius and Donut, I've read the link as both were the same and it's more clear to me now, I think I'm ok with the bar positioning of the squat and bench so all is good as long as I listen to the referees commands.

Thanks smashius and Donut, I've read the link as both were the same and it's more clear to me now, I think I'm ok with the bar positioning of the squat and bench so all is good as long as I listen to the referees commands.

Yeah, I didn't see Smashius's link earlier. Make sure you start pausing your bench reps in training, if you're used to touch-and-go the pause will make a HUGE difference. Here's some videos of the squat, bench, and deadlift so you get a basic idea of the commands and how the lifts are executed properly:

YouTube - Vladimir Bondarenko Squats - IPF Worlds 2005

YouTube - powerlifting bench press IPF 2003 heavy +125

YouTube - powerlifting deadlifts from IPF 2003 heavy +125kg

Yeah, I didn't see Smashius's link earlier. Make sure you start pausing your bench reps in training, if you're used to touch-and-go the pause will make a HUGE difference. Here's some videos of the squat, bench, and deadlift so you get a basic idea of the commands and how the lifts are executed properly:

YouTube - Vladimir Bondarenko Squats - IPF Worlds 2005

YouTube - powerlifting bench press IPF 2003 heavy +125

YouTube - powerlifting deadlifts from IPF 2003 heavy +125kg

thanks very much Donut, I appreciate it.

Star tgetting your spotters to give you commands to begin and to rack your squats and bnehcpresses, it's far too common to see guys finish a heavy lift and slam the bar back on the supports immediately, because that's what they always do in the gym.

+1 for starting paused presses as soon as possible.

Back