Log for comp on 30th October

blandy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Decided to start a new log as my old onewas getting a bit long. I have decided to enter a grappling competition and if I can manage to get the time off work a BJJ competition at the end of November. I have been training for about 18 months now and want to try and do as many competitions as I can to get an idea of my standard before considering amatur mma at the middle/end of next year.

weekly routine will look some thing like

Monday (am)conditioning (pm)BJJ class
Tuesday Weights
wednesday (am)conditioning (pm)BJJ class
Thursday Plyo's
Friday Conditioning
Saturday Weights
Sunday Rest

Unfortunatly I can only afford to train twice perweek at the moment but that should change before the BJJ comp. For those that cant be bothered to check my old log my weights workouts consists of a sandbag and a few dumbells. I am planning on using a outdoor plyo routine from Ross Enamait's medicine ball training book with a home made ball I should finish making tomorrow. I plan to use Burpees as the core of my conditioning training

Monday 3rd October

BJJ class

Worked on some basic escapes from side control, knee in for guard or turning to your knee's. The top guys in GBUK were here for a seminar this weekend ( I was on holiday) and they emphasized they wanted strong fundimentals so I think we are going to be working on tightening up the basicas for a while.
Quite a bit or rolling at the end including doing minute drills, split into groups of 4, one person would roll for 3 minutes against a different oppent every minute. Was lots of fun, especially holding thhe person in guard so the next guy in could run over and put rear mount them ;)

(oh I know I didn't do any conditioning this morning but I only decided on this plan tonight after training)

4th October 2005

Weights

Warmed up with Pavel's Super Joints exercises

sandbag Zercher squats (90 seconds rest)
15x32kg
15x32kg
7x32kg

dumbell Snatches (90 seconds rest)
3x14kgx10+10

sandbag clean&press (60 seconds rest)
3x32kgx6

Dumbell row (enough rest to swap hands and whipe sweat from face)
2x24kgx8+8

5th October 2005

BJJ class

Went over the two escapes shown on monday, then covered a escape if th opponent controlled both your head and your hips, then a triangle if he had your head an an arm between your legs and an armbar is he had your head and far side of your body. 3 minute rounds at the end again. Towards the end I took a really hard elbow to the face when my opponent went for a kimura from guard. Bot a swelling the size of a egg on my cheek and its starting to bruise a lot all ready. Will try and post a photo later

Picture(17).jpg

Picture(18).jpg

Well training hasn't really happened recently works been hard etc but I should have fitted some thing in. After a long hard think I have decided to try and crossfit with my current equipment. i might have to make a lot of subs but I was having fun doing crossfit towards the end of my gym membership.

No BJJ this week as my instructor is away for a week.

Wednesday 12th october

Military press 30kg
bench dips
push ups

21 reps each evercise. total time = 9 minutes 34 seconds

Thursday 13th October

Rounds of
Bent over sandbag row 32kgx10
Squats

for 10 minutes

4 rounds plus rows and 18 squats

gah I hate weekends, have to work way to much

Monday 17th October

11.30 Conditioning

Tabata squats 13,11,10,11,11,10,9
Tabata sit ups 11,12,11,10,9,9,10,9
Tabata push ups 10,6,6,6,4,4,5,4

stuck to 10 seconds between exercises

18:00 BJJ Class

Worked a guilotine from teh guard and then developed on to what to do if they defended. Covered switching to the cross coller choke, or if they put their arm in a swep similar to a half butterfly guard sweep. 30 minutes rolling at the end

Wednesday 19th October

11:00 Conditioning

2 round of
Sandbag thrusters 32kgx15 reps
sandbag rows 32kgx45 reps

total time : 16 minutes and 32 seconds

18:00 BJJ Class

worked on follow ups to the armbar from the guard if they i)stand up (swing leg back to the sweep where you pull their ankles and push on their hips) ii) stack with leg behind your butt (hand holding their arm moves up to their collar for cross choke iii) stack with other leg up (flower sweep)

Looks good. Maybe add some Jumping Rope, Rope Climbing?, Complexes, 4-5 exercise combo with the sandbag?

Friday 21st October

Conditioing

25 sandbag rows (32kg)
50 push ups
75 squats

total time = 11 minutes 51 seconds

sunday 23rd October

Conditioning

10 sets of 1 power clean and 5 front squats with my 32kg sandbag 2minutes between sets

Monday 24th October

BJJ class

went through the armbar stuff we did on wednesday and added up some details. ie if they are stood and their weight is backward like they are going to pick you up, then go for the sweep shown on monady, if their weight is forward hook their leg and take them over you. For the flower sweep if the arm is tight sweep them straight into the armbar, if its a bit looser then sweep them and take the mount. If they stack you with the leg behind your arse up adn the armbar is tight you can still take their leg and sweep then instead of the coller choke.

Tuesday 25th October

Conditioning

3 rounds of 21-15-9 reps
lefthand dumbell snatches 16kg
right hand dumbell snatches 16kg
sandbag row 32kg

total time = 10 minutes 57 seconds

Sunday 30th October

Competition day

There was 6 guys in my catagory, 90kg+ so they split us into two lots of three for a round robin and then the two first place and two second place would fight for medals
1st fight won my rear naked choke
2nd fight lost on points
3rd fight won by armbar, took third place

had one more fight in the absolute that I lost on points as well. This was the third qualifiying day for a final between all the previous winners in 5 weeks which I have been invited back for. Hopefully I should be able to get the time off work.

a few lessons learnt
1) my stand up grappling sucks, need to really work on this. This first match I lost the guy won on takedown points. I also gave up two points for the take down in all my matches
2)my sweeping is fairly poor as well. i much prefer playing a top game and can get there quite easliy when we start from our knees in class but starting from standing was a lot different.
3) helps to have your team mates with you. There was one else from my club there is it was a fair trek from were we are based (my home town though so visited parents to kill two birds with one stone)The fight in the absolute I thought I was winning so didn't really push the action and ended up losing

Thanks for the log again Blandy. Always interested in how you guys are training up at GB Sheff. Well done for your performance at the Tourney. I hope you are pleased aswell.

I too remember when training at Gb in Brum we did'nt do much sparring starting from standing. It took me a while to get used to it also.

I hope to start training up there too after Xmas. It's just not really possible to get from Mansfield to Sheff on the bus. Need to get another car.

Anyway, well done bro! and keep it up!

Swerve said:
Thanks for the log again Blandy. Always interested in how you guys are training up at GB Sheff. Well done for your performance at the Tourney. I hope you are pleased aswell.

I too remember when training at Gb in Brum we did'nt do much sparring starting from standing. It took me a while to get used to it also.

I hope to start training up there too after Xmas. It's just not really possible to get from Mansfield to Sheff on the bus. Need to get another car.

Anyway, well done bro! and keep it up!

Thanks mate :)

I was really happy with the tournament result, it was my first competition and you cant help but be pleased with a placing :) I aslo met a lot of guys rom GB Newcastle where I am considering moving this summer so it was nice to find some where else to train all ready ;) This was the third competition that the club had this year and they are having a finals on December the 4th for the top 8 from each weight class that I have been invited back for. I am going to try and get to at least a couple of shootfighting classes before then as the guy that runs it has a strong wrestling back ground.

Monday 31st October

BJJ class

Warmed up by jogging round the class and 50 jumping jacks. Then did a ab routine with different sorts of crunches, each student counted 25 each for a total of about 150. Then moved on to Guard passing drill 10 each side, kimura sit ups 10 each side and a drill where your partner lays on the floor, you place your head and hands on the floor and hop from one side of thier legs to the other like you were switching sides while passing guard.

Moved on to drilling open guard and how to control your opponent, pushing their head to control them while keeping them away from you with your legs, getting your hooks back if they push them off you. Rolled for about 20 minutes at the end

Wednesday 2nd November 2005

Bjj Class

Warmed up by jogging round the class and 50 jumping jacks. Then did a ab routine with different sorts of crunches, each student counted 25 each for a total of about 150. Then moved on to Guard passing drill 20 each side, kimura sit ups 20 each side and a drill where you drop back into a ankle lock and then stand up in base: 10 each side

Worked on to a basic half guard game for some of the new people. Started with needing to establish a underhook on the side you have the leg trapped nad using the other hand to prevent you getting cross faced. Down low with your head near their knee. Worked shrimping out to take their back, then a sweep similar to eddie bravo's "old school" but instead of just garbbing the foot like he shows you grab all the way round the leg so you are holding onto his upper thigh to stop him posting with his leg

Rolled for about half an hour at the end

Monday 8th November

BJJ class

Drilled attacks from the mount. Started with the armbar where they stick their arms up and you spin round, fast and loose. moved on to where they are tighter so you pull them up on to their side and slide one knee behind their head then sit back with the leg angled out so its nice and tight. Then covered the triangle where they try to move the foot away from their hp, concentrating on keeping a lot of pressure on them.

Rolled for 20 minutes at the end

Wednesday 9th November

BJJ class

worked ona few guard passes. First did a standing pass, concentratin on gripping on sleave and top of pants, leg same side as sleave grip goes up first, keep weight of opponents stomach. When standing switch grip from pants to inside of knee, steep back with same side leg and twist to break guard. Push their leg to the floor, pass your same side knee through, tight to their hip, arm grabs round back of their head. Bring other leg through and switch hips to finsih pass.

From kneeling, both hands on top of pants, elbows in tight against their knees. One of you knees moves to middle of their bum and other goes back and to side to maintain balance. Twist to break guard. ARm goes under leg, keep their calf on your shoulder rather than their knee to defend against triangle. Grip their collar and press your weight on to them. Come round to side to finish pass.

Rolled for 40 minutes at end

Thursday 10th November

Conditioning

50 sand bag rows 32kg
50 push ups
50 sit ups
50 squats

total time : 17:19

Back