Locking in the Triangle with strong opponent

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by 879lexus, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

So last night we were drilling passing guard and I was on the bottom so I was allowed to mess around with sweeps, armbar or triangle. Instead of the 'I don't know what the hell to do' attitidue, I decided to drill triangles while he passed guard.

1) When your opponent is grabbing your pant gi by your hips and pressing his elbows inside your thigh, what is the best way to get your legs around his head with both feet to initiate the triangle. His one hand is already where I want it(close to his body so I can trap that arm. But he's grabbing on to my pants and pressing his elbows insdie my thigh.

2) So I did manage to get my triangle after about 5 mins, but it was almooooooooooooooost locked in. I remembered that my instructor told us to adjust with your other leg off the guys hips then lock it in. But I already had him, but it needed a little more omph to get the lock in. I didn't want to release (just to put my other leg on his hip to adjust)he would escape.

3) And he did manage to escape. He stood up, I grabbed one of his legs, but because it wasn't locked in all the way, he escaped....

4) Also he was a big guy, and I felt all the pressure on my ankle that my other leg was wrapped around. I felt I was subbing myself with some type of ankle lock or some shit.

2. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

If you grab your shin and your leg is correctly 'framed' at 90 degrees, right on the back of his neck, you will be able to release the triangle, foot on hip, and re-triangle properly. Don't be afraid to open it up and adjust if it's not 100%, just like you're not afraid to open your guard and work.

Remember being a complete noob and trying to keep closed guard at all costs? It's the same thing, only with slightly more to lose because you know you're close to a finish.

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

The first thing you should keep in mind is that you can't just force the triangle because you want to do it...unless you're Rickson. You have to take it as it comes or set it up in some way.

1) You need to break his grips before you initiate the attack. If his arm is close to your body, but he has a solid grip, then you can't just push the hand through. If I was in that position and wanted a triangle, I would flare out the elbows to break posture, swim my arm inside to break the grip and catch an overhook, and go for the triangle from there.

2) If you're feeling pressure on the ankle, you need to relieve it. So go up and grab your ankle like when you're initially locking it in. Then use the other hand to pull down on the top of his head to break posture, and readjust the triangle.

Also when he stands up, be sure you're grabbing the correct leg.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

1) You can't do a triangle in that situation, he is defending it. Ask your instructor about how to set up a triangle

2) Reach up and grab your shin behind his neck and walk your shoulders backward and use your legs to pull his head down and break his posture. In order to posture up he would have to lift your entire body, it's not going to happen.

3) Lock the triangle over your shin, not over your foot. Flex your ankle and point that foot straight up in the air. It will be easier to do this if your shin is straight across his neck perpendicularly. This is why you grab your shin and push off his hip with your other foot--to adjust the angle.

5. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

1)Try breaking the grip by pulling up. His natural reaction should be to pull it back down but without a grip you should be able to slide it though.

I'm doing 2 and 3 out of order because you should apply these steps in the other order

3) Always keep a hand on his head pulling him down deeper into the triangle if not to make the choke deeper then to keep his posture broken so he can't stand postured up. Standing dosn't negate a triangle, posturing does.

2) underhook the arm outside of the triangle and pull yourself perpendicular to him. You'll get a tap.

4) I've applied this to people who are larger than me and it works like butter.

6. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

7. Kimura Vizion

Kimura Vizion Orange Belt

Hip out a little to the opposite side of where the triangle is locked up and point the top locking leg up...shift and lock it up over the opposite shoulder (reverse triangle)...this is what i use on dudes that are to big or strong with the regular triangle defense...my instruction may sound f***** but you tube that shit or something

8. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

This video is invaluable. It improved my triangle 300%, definitely.

9. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You know that old saying, the punch you don't see coming is the one that puts you to sleep, well the same goes for submissions. Learn how to do it properly, set it up, explode into it, and commit 100% to the hold.

10. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Agreed!

Totally changed my guard game because I wouldn't even attempt triangles for the longest time now it's just another thing people have to worry about in my guard.

11. Broski

Broski White Belt

If you need to scoot back to get full length on your legs to get the 90 degree angle with your shin, you don't have to put your foot in their hip. You can scoot back with your shoulders by, with lack of a better way to put it, walk your torso backward on your shoulders. Ryan Hall suggests it in his triangle DVD.

If you wanna have some mean triangles, watch Ryan's DVD.