Local price of gasoline - Too high, too low or just right?

I wonder what would happen if people just decided to drop gas prices to like a dollar. I'm talking owners of gas stations. But on a large scale.

I don't believe for one second that a gallon of gasoline is worth is $3.50. But I guess an object is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

About $1.25 in gas prices is in state and federal taxes.

The lowest they could really drop it is 2 something.

My 3.48 per gallon looks pretty good after seeing the prices in here.

$3.49 at an Astro on my way home. There was a Shell Station right across the fuckin' block selling theirs for $3.79/gallon lol. I imagined that the station employees carried on a fun rivalry from across the street whenever one beat the others' prices out. Would make a funny B movie....

$3.49 at an Astro on my way home. There was a Shell Station right across the fuckin' block selling theirs for $3.79/gallon lol. I imagined that the station employees carried on a fun rivalry from across the street whenever one beat the others' prices out. Would make a funny B movie....

Especially when they change the fraction of a cent

i'm glad that i have no idea, as i don't drive.

I wonder what would happen if people just decided to drop gas prices to like a dollar. I'm talking owners of gas stations. But on a large scale.

I don't believe for one second that a gallon of gasoline is worth is $3.50. But I guess an object is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I dont know about the US, but the stations here make most of their money from the stuff they sell in the store, not the fuel itself.
The supermarket based ones with their heavy discount vouchers actually sell at a loss (but make it back from you in the supermarket)

What's the price of gasoline around your neck of the woods?

Here in Seoul, north of the Han river, for the regular stuff, it's about 1850 KRW/Liter, which translates to 1.80 USD/Liter or $6.85/US Gallon.

My car requires premium, which is about 2350 KRW/L so it works out to about $2.30/L or $8.74/Gallon. That's right, $2/gallon difference between premium and regular!

It's 10-50 cents/gallon in the cheaper parts of Seoul and once you get south of the city.

On post (US military bases), it's closer to US prices at about $3.50/Gallon for regular.

Edit: Added the question.

Do you mean it's 10-50 cents cheaper? Or do you mean that you are a paying 10-50 cents per gallon? That would be a dream to pay between 10-50 cents per gallon.

If you have a USAA credit card, there's a 5% discount for gas, so that $3.50/gallon at the military base would be $3.325/gallon.

Last edited:
If you've got different grades of gas, just say "regular" or "premium."

Referencing octane confuses the issue because the US uses a different system to label octane at the pump.

Regular US 87 is closer to most of the ROW's 92 octane.

Premium US 91 octane is closer to 97 octane in the EU and Asia.

Or at least reference where you're from.

I am told NJ and NY have some of the cheapest gas in the country because of that big refinery that makes NJ smell like armpits. This was almost like three or four years ago. I went to Kern County around that same time and did not notice the gas prices to much higher. Maybe that is because Kern also has oil production. I went to Austin Texas this past summer and too did not notice much difference. But again Texas has oil production there.

A gallon of milk used to cost more than a gallon of gas. As it should be.

Back in 97ish, I remember gas getting down to $0.89/gallon down in Texas. That's less than a gallon of bottled water. I remember looking at that price and thinking to myself that that's way too cheap - something was broken about the economics there.

OTOH, didn't keep me from making road trips to NYC from Baltimore on a $20 bill, though.

If you've got different grades of gas, just say "regular" or "premium."

Referencing octane confuses the issue because the US uses a different system to label octane at the pump.

Regular US 87 is closer to most of the ROW's 92 octane.

Premium US 91 octane is closer to 97 octane in the EU and Asia.

Or at least reference where you're from.

You mean North America, not USA ;)

94 octane is available in Canada, not sure about the US.

You mean North America, not USA ;)

94 octane is available in Canada, not sure about the US.

Well, I was going to say the Anglosphere but the UK and IE using the EU system got in the way of that. Plus I haven't spent enough time in Canadia to know what you guys use up there.

Right around 3.80 in Knoxville for high test. It's interesting how the difference in price between the grades went from about 5 cents when i was 16 or so ('96) to now 15 cents.

I haven't paid for fuel for years, company fleet card ftw

Back