Economy Lobster plant can't function without TFWs, moves plant and hires middle school children.

Wealth inequality in the current economy is the result of exactly two factors:

1. Limited Liability Protections (including corporate bankruptcy protections).
2. Intellectual Property Laws (including patents and copyright).

Aside from these, income inequality is just the result of a combination of your own free choice and what you have to offer. If you don't like what your job pays, choose a job that pays more. If you can't do that, because the jobs you would prefer are already filled by people with more desirable and marketable skills, then maybe you aren't worth as much as you think you are.
I agree but you left one thing out. Those that participate in the system yet don't follow the rules. Many poor places or even in the US use exploited labor, have poor environmental practices bd don't worry about the impact on society. If I follow the rules, I am at a disadvantage to them due to my following regulations. That also has been a major factor in inequality that goes unsaid.

$13 for the middle school kids. I don't think they should working factory jobs. It's literally child labor

I am fine with the wage for HS kids.

I want to know why it's not safe for kids to go to school but its OK for them to work at a factory?
For the same reason it's safe to work at a 7-11 but unsafe to sit on the beach, and why it's unsafe for you to go to the gym but not Bill DeBlasio, and why it's unsafe to leave your house to see family for Easter but not for Trudeau to take family vacations to Quebec, why you're immoral to walk in a public park according to JB Pritzker and also immoral for asking him why it's ok for his wife to take trips to Florida, also why Neil Ferguson tells everyone else to lock themselves in their house but calls his married mistress over for sex while he's infected, and finally why Dr. Fauci says shaking hands is unsafe but sex with strangers you meet online is safe.

None of it makes any sense, school isn't unsafe and they're just hand selecting what they want open and closed for control to see what people will put up with. Turns out quite a lot.

Also, it doesn't violate child labor laws. The most ridiculous thing here is that kids can earn $520 or $600/week in pocket money while some of their parents aren't allowed to earn money.
It is against the law to employ a child under 14 to do work: for more than 8 hours a day. ... for any time during the day when that time plus the time the child is in school adds up to more than 8 hours. between the hours of 10 pm of any day and 6 am of the next day.

They will learn specific skills they can apply to future jobs, responsibility, work ethic and develop some character among other things. What will they learn from school?
Math and shit. Stuff that will help them get a job as a law talking guy, a number cruncher or the kind of stuff that pays you more than cutting lobsters

So yeah, not safe for kids to go to school but we can send them to work in underpaid factory jobs? Why do we have jobs in Canada that pay so low only TFWs will take them?
Canadian labor laws are nuts. It's probably borderline impossible to run a factory that hires Canadians.

You can't pay someone $20+ an hour for a factory job if it's virtually impossible to fire them or lay them off and when you finally can it's 6 months of severance. All that risk has to be deducted from your paycheck. That's one major reason that Canadians and Europeans make lower wages in professional careers and why it's harder to find jobs. And why companies are reluctant to hire Canadians and Europeans.

Canadian labor laws are nuts. It's probably borderline impossible to run a factory that hires Canadians.

You can't pay someone $20+ an hour for a factory job if it's virtually impossible to fire them or lay them off and when you finally can it's 6 months of severance. All that risk has to be deducted from your paycheck. That's one major reason that Canadians and Europeans make lower wages in professional careers and why it's harder to find jobs. And why companies are reluctant to hire Canadians and Europeans.
And the easy alternative is to outsource those jobs. If anyone does, others have to, or they're no longer competitive. It's amazing they want work protections and are totally fine offshore get anything and everything. Which is why much if Europe has had high unemployment for a decade now

New Brunswick Lobster company can't operate because they can't use their usually temporary foreign workers. They had an online job fair to fill the roughly 600 positions aand got only 25 applicants.

So they moved the operation to Nova Scotia and will hire highschoolers ($15/hr) and Middleschoolers ($13/hr with their parents permission).

So yeah, not safe for kids to go to school but we can send them to work in underpaid factory jobs? Why do we have jobs in Canada that pay so low only TFWs will take them?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...porary-foreign-workers-local-hiring-1.5570176

Good paying summer/part time jobs for citizen teens? I’m supposed to be troubled by this?

New Brunswick Lobster company can't operate because they can't use their usually temporary foreign workers. They had an online job fair to fill the roughly 600 positions aand got only 25 applicants.

So they moved the operation to Nova Scotia and will hire highschoolers ($15/hr) and Middleschoolers ($13/hr with their parents permission).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...porary-foreign-workers-local-hiring-1.5570176
Perhaps this will spur these companies to pay a higher wage.

Unlike arbitrary, government-mandated rates wielded as a hammer, these new wages would actually achieve a sustainable calibration that won't result in the companies moving their factories overseas. Cheap foreign labor is a band-aid.

I agree but you left one thing out. Those that participate in the system yet don't follow the rules. Many poor places or even in the US use exploited labor, have poor environmental practices bd don't worry about the impact on society. If I follow the rules, I am at a disadvantage to them due to my following regulations. That also has been a major factor in inequality that goes unsaid.

Yeah. I can agree with that.

What do you mean?
You may wish to go back and review some of our exchanges in the Trudeau hate threads for the answer to that.

Edit: please refresh my memory. Are you the person who doesn't even work for a living but complains the taxes in Ontario are too high and you've thought about moving to the states over them?

I don't know where that quotation comes from, because you didn't cite your source... but it looks to me like they are calculating the numbers as though you can isolate a certain group of workers and products as though they exist in a vacuum. Doubling wages in one sector, especially a sector as large as food preparation and service, is going to result in significant inflationary pressures in all other sectors. There would be a major rush into these sectors by employees, meaning that now you need to also raise the wages of, say laborers in the trades. So now the actual physical plant goes up in price, and that raises the price of your Big Mac meal, as well.

Also, the study seems to use MacDonalds as a model. That's an insane example to use. A large percentage of businesses don't even turn a profit, at all. Over half of them fail within 3 years. I owned a cafe. A general rule in the food service industry is that the cost of labour should be around 30% of your total costs. Most restaurants are in a constant struggle just to break even. Now you're going to double my labour costs, make them 60% of my total costs, and I'm going to raise my prices by 5% and that's going to take care of everything? Bullshit.

Do the math, yourself.

A restaurant that does $2,000,000 per year (which is a pretty modest revenue total), pays around $600,000 in wages. Then you have another $200,000 (10%) or so for rent/mortgage. Then another $600,000 (30%) in food costs. Then you're going to need to service and upgrade your equipment and furniture and space, which is going to be another $80,000 or so (4%), and you'll need a POS processor and book keeping and banking services at another $60,000 (3%), and then utilities and garbage removal and snow removal at another $60,000 (3%). Then you're going to need to do some marketing which will run you $40,000 (2%) if you're a great restaurant that can get by on word of mouth and a low marketing budget. And then you have a whole lot of miscellaneous costs from insurance to cleaning supplies to toilet paper at $60,000 (3%) if we're conservative. And that leaves me with $300,000 if I'm really, really careful, and pinching pennies. And from that I put $200,000 toward paying down my original investment for the first 10 years or so, if I'm disciplined.

And I'm left with $100,000, or 5% profit... which is good for the restaurant business. Really good.

But I'm going to double my payroll, to put myself $500,000 in the hole in the budget laid out above (not to mention the increase in my food costs as every employee down the chain is getting a raise that doubles their wage as well), and then I'll just make that up by charging you an extra $0.19 for your burger.

You people are drunk.
wouldnt doubling wages mean they are 46% of costs? Why do you say 60%?

Source? You're acting like its some bullshit child sweatshop. In 1st world countries employment is at will. Anyone can quit at any time.

I dont know about all 1st world countries, but in the US one must be at least 14 to work and that'swith limits on hours...... so no middle school kids.

Lmao and those are considered good paying jobs here in the US. What a shit hole this country has become. It's sad to think that there are people against the idea of raising minimum wage to meet that of child labor in Canada.

15 Canadian = 10 and chsnge US

You may wish to go back and review some of our exchanges in the Trudeau hate threads for the answer to that.

Edit: please refresh my memory. Are you the person who doesn't even work for a living but complains the taxes in Ontario are too high and you've thought about moving to the states over them?

That would be someone else. I live in Western Canada and have no intention of moving to the United States. I do have a passionate hatred for Trudeau, but I am reasonable enough to hope he does a good job as Prime Minister.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find this surprising at all. We've all known for a while that TFW's are the ugly secret behind maintaining the economic system we've chosen. You simply cannot pay an adult those wages if they have the Western world standards of living. You need people who will accept less or don't have other options.

As for why it's okay for kids and not the TFWs? Probably 2 reason in my opinion - parents who don't think the virus is that serious and people who believe that teens, specifically, don't have major health impacts even if they do get it.

Canadian kids doing the jobs American kids won't do !

Not the worst if they're being paid decently. They're also going to learn whether or not they want to do a job like that when they get out of school.

ron-swanson-child-labor-laws1.jpg

Perhaps this will spur these companies to pay a higher wage.

Unlike arbitrary, government-mandated rates wielded as a hammer, these new wages would actually achieve a sustainable calibration that won't result in the companies moving their factories overseas. Cheap foreign labor is a band-aid.

They won't, and quite a few posters are happy with that, as we can see.

wouldnt doubling wages mean they are 46% of costs? Why do you say 60%?

I know you think you've got me on the math, but in reality I just didn't word it quite right. Costs are measured against revenues. They aren't just random numbers connected to nothing but each other.

Your labour costs should be equal to about 30% of your revenues. So if you double it your labour costs are now double, at 60% of your revenues.

But, hey, that's nothing an extra couple of dimes per burger won't solve....

I don't know where that quotation comes from, because you didn't cite your source... but it looks to me like they are calculating the numbers as though you can isolate a certain group of workers and products as though they exist in a vacuum. Doubling wages in one sector, especially a sector as large as food preparation and service, is going to result in significant inflationary pressures in all other sectors. There would be a major rush into these sectors by employees, meaning that now you need to also raise the wages of, say laborers in the trades. So now the actual physical plant goes up in price, and that raises the price of your Big Mac meal, as well.

Also, the study seems to use MacDonalds as a model. That's an insane example to use. A large percentage of businesses don't even turn a profit, at all. Over half of them fail within 3 years. I owned a cafe. A general rule in the food service industry is that the cost of labour should be around 30% of your total costs. Most restaurants are in a constant struggle just to break even. Now you're going to double my labour costs, make them 60% of my total costs, and I'm going to raise my prices by 5% and that's going to take care of everything? Bullshit.

Do the math, yourself.

A restaurant that does $2,000,000 per year (which is a pretty modest revenue total), pays around $600,000 in wages. Then you have another $200,000 (10%) or so for rent/mortgage. Then another $600,000 (30%) in food costs. Then you're going to need to service and upgrade your equipment and furniture and space, which is going to be another $80,000 or so (4%), and you'll need a POS processor and book keeping and banking services at another $60,000 (3%), and then utilities and garbage removal and snow removal at another $60,000 (3%). Then you're going to need to do some marketing which will run you $40,000 (2%) if you're a great restaurant that can get by on word of mouth and a low marketing budget. And then you have a whole lot of miscellaneous costs from insurance to cleaning supplies to toilet paper at $60,000 (3%) if we're conservative. And that leaves me with $300,000 if I'm really, really careful, and pinching pennies. And from that I put $200,000 toward paying down my original investment for the first 10 years or so, if I'm disciplined.

And I'm left with $100,000, or 5% profit... which is good for the restaurant business. Really good.

But I'm going to double my payroll, to put myself $500,000 in the hole in the budget laid out above (not to mention the increase in my food costs as every employee down the chain is getting a raise that doubles their wage as well), and then I'll just make that up by charging you an extra $0.19 for your burger.

You people are drunk.
Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. You're only doubling the wages of people who make minimum wage. It's not a doubling of every employee's wages. The guy making $13.50 isn't getting a doubled wage. Some bump is necessary but not double for everyone.

Back