Lmao Trump wants to replace EBT and food stamps with food boxes

BjPenn2017

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Dunno if it's been posted yet but this is amazing

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pol...02/12/food-stamps-trump-administration-343245

"White House OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on Monday hailed the idea as one that kept up with the modern era, calling it a "Blue Apron-type program" — a nod to the high-end meal kit delivery company that had one of the worst stock debuts in 2017 and has struggled to hold onto customers. Mulvaney said the administration’s planwould not only save the government money, but also provide people with more nutritious food than they have now."

Would also cut down on trading EBT money for cash.

Maybe even cut down on obesity amongst poor people.

Could be a decent idea depending on the implementation.

Blue Apron is not a bad company, I don't know why they are doing so bad. It isn't a bad idea in principle. It is mainly healthy food with instructions. I had an ex who volunteered to teach nutritious cooking to poor people. They need education and how to prepare healthy meals on a budget. Which is very hard to do with the current EBT system. 200 a month max for one person. and one kid doesnt make it 400. There is some kind of scaling. Basically, I have no idea how any family or even individual can survive on that much money for groceries a month.

Another problem is the lack of real grocery stores in the inner city. You see mostly corner stores. Big grocery has to be bribed to go in there. These inner city residents often don't have access to fresh and healthy foods like produce.

I don't see why it is funny. It couldn't be worse than the current system.

Could be a good idea...but based on the the past I'm sure when put to paper will be horrible. And include something that has nothing to do with giving them food.

stamps.jpg

How dare they take away their lobster tails and steak.

I'm picturing hangry obese people opening their box and discovering there's no bottles of soft drinks or sweets in them.

tenor.gif

I just picture dropped shipments of MRE's in the middle of town.

No way they could deliver that plan efficiently while saving costs -- and they know it, hence why they are passing out the cost of that to local governments.

Would also cut down on trading EBT money for cash.

Maybe even cut down on obesity amongst poor people.

Could be a decent idea depending on the implementation.

hello The ScorpioN,

i can see the pros and cons of it.

on one hand, i like the idea that if folks are to get a food subsidy, they are forced by the government to eat the food the government wants them to eat.

on the other hand, the italicized part bugs me.

- IGIT

Blue Apron is not a bad company, I don't know why they are doing so bad. It isn't a bad idea in principle. It is mainly healthy food with instructions. I had an ex who volunteered to teach nutritious cooking to poor people. They need education and how to prepare healthy meals on a budget. Which is very hard to do with the current EBT system. 200 a month max for one person. and one kid doesnt make it 400. There is some kind of scaling. Basically, I have no idea how any family or even individual can survive on that much money for groceries a month.

Another problem is the lack of real grocery stores in the inner city. You see mostly corner stores. Big grocery has to be bribed to go in there. These inner city residents often don't have access to fresh and healthy foods like produce.

Blue Apron is not actually cost effective. The accumulating / shipping of perishable goods will cost a lot.

I see the point about fresh food, but how much is shipping going to cost to keep fresh produce stocked to these people.

The reason blue apron is struggling to keep customers is because it's expensive compared to going to the store and buying the ingredients yourself.

Why not feed them expired MREs? I'm sure the military needs to get rid of some crap they have in stock. Poor people would eat a lot better and they could potentially earn some money on Youtube doing reviews. Not to mention they would get their cigarettes for free. It's a win win situation!

Blue Apron is not actually cost effective. The accumulating / shipping of perishable goods will cost a lot.

I bet somebody like Amazon could make it cost effective. In fact, I bet that is one of the reasons Blue Apron is going to shit. Amazon will have brick and mortar food stores in Whole Foods. Maybe they should ship locally. Delivering of groceries seems to be getting more popular in general.

Also, figure in health care costs of people buying all this junk with EBT.

Why not feed them expired MREs? I'm sure the military needs to get rid of some crap they have in stock. Poor people would eat a lot better and they could potentially earn some money on Youtube doing reviews. Not to mention they would get their cigarettes for free. It's a win win situation!

hi SRN,

i miss a guy on youtube...i think his name was MREjap, or something like that.

he'd post all these videos of him eating different MREs and comment on them in poor english.

- IGIT

Possibly his best idea to date.

Execution will be hard, and it will cost more but could deliver real benefits.

Difficulty is tailoring packages to what people will eat.
Dropping off a cabbage a week and it never being used would create a lot of waste.

The proposal, buried in the White House’s fiscal 2019 budget, would replace about half of the money most families receive via the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as food stamps, with what the Department of Agricultureis calling “America’s Harvest Box.” That package would be made up of "100 percent U.S. grown and produced food" and would include items like shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, canned fruits and meats, and cereal.

Not sure the canned goods and cereal are all that healthy.

This is all Mulveney - Trump doesn't know a damn thing in his budget proposal. It's a House Freedom Caucus' wet dream budget, from where Mulveney came from.

Possibly his best idea to date.

Execution will be hard, and it will cost more but could deliver real benefits.

Difficulty is tailoring packages to what people will eat.
Dropping off a cabbage a week and it never being used would create a lot of waste.

Not to mention, determining how many people each household will be feeding.

Back