Lloyd Irvin's Kumite Reality Show- Episode 1

One thing I thought was weird is that at around 12:33 that Irish guy is defending a RNC.His opponent is on his chin.He pulls the guys arm down past his chin and taps out.Was he injured or something?

That was Darragh. Darragh wouldn't quit that way in a match. I assume the RNC was so deep and on that he just didn't want to get his face or jaw injured so just lifted his chin. That RNC looked like it would have been impossible to break it was super deep.

Just a guess.

One thing I thought was weird is that at around 12:33 that Irish guy is defending a RNC.His opponent is on his chin.He pulls the guys arm down past his chin and taps out.Was he injured or something?

I found that curious too.

I wonder if it would have still been a money move if he didn't pull the elbow down...

I found that curious too.

Remember that they're fighting 22 matches, and some (most?) of these matches last 30 minutes. In that context it makes more sense to just avoid injury when you know you're caught anyway.

No excuse. Luke had the chance to call out the reason they were all there, Keenan, but didn't. It's his own fault for being tired later on. Had he made Keenan his 1st pick he would've been nice and fresh.

I get tired of the "I'm bigger, so I tire faster" excuse. I get they have more muscles mass to feed but aren't their lungs larger as well?

I'm kind of small and have heard throughout my life that's why I can climb ropes or do more pull-ups than a larger fellow. I disagree but if you want to present that point then please agree that's why you can bench more. Not because you're stronger but because you're heavier.

That seems pretty obvious. The bigger you are the more you will be able to lift. The smaller you are the faster.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you are bigger you will probably be stronger. If you are smaller you will probably have better endurance and be faster.

This is more entertaining than any TUF and Lloyd really makes a great show- thank you Lloyd Irvin and ill be watching every episode

Osss

Looks like he was grabbing all 4 fingers. Brandon Mullins showed it in that Kesting instructional. I do it myself.Its not painful but keeps your opponent from grabbing you with that hand.

That's EXACTLY what I thought it was. "Gringo grip" in the gi (where you also have a cross sleeve grip). It's basically that "uncomfortably powerful handshake" experience, which kills their gripping options on that arm and gives you setup options on your own. If I was doing submission only, unlimited time, you'd definitely see a lot of closed guard from me doing the exact same thing. Wearing them down while using as little energy as possible. (Not that I'm fit to compete with those guys.)

so when's the next episode? is this a weekly thing or how are they going to air it?

I've pulled RNCs down from my upper teeth to the jawbone a few times, but always with shrugged shoulders and the chin down. Tooth cranks suuuuck.

That was Darragh. Darragh wouldn't quit that way in a match. I assume the RNC was so deep and on that he just didn't want to get his face or jaw injured so just lifted his chin. That RNC looked like it would have been impossible to break it was super deep.

Just a guess.

Guys it looks like an ankle lock to me. Look down at his legs. He re-crosses over the legs hard. BJJ 101, don't cross your ankles, or at least don't let someone cross them. Maybe I'm wrong though. Or am I remembering a different match?

Last edited:
Guys its an ankle lock. Look down at his legs. He re-crosses over the legs hard. BJJ 101, don't cross you're ankles, or at least don't let someone cross them.

They're talking about a different sub. Darragh taps to an RNC. At another point, a guy who has had his back taken hits the ankle lock.

They're talking about a different sub. Darragh taps to an RNC. At another point, a guy who has had his back taken hits the ankle lock.

Oh okay, figured it might of been a different one.

Nevermind, apparently Episode 2 is still en route.

Last edited:
That's Episode 2 of The Next Great Champion, not the Kumite.

Sean's calf slicer is siiicckkkk. I can't get over that thing.

The dude was crying about grips, but he was purposely pressing down on sean's chin because he knew it was injured and trying to punch his grips off? Great sportsmanship.

Keenan seems to have little to absolutely no ego. That might be because he is so clearly at a different level than the rest of his competitors, but that can also work against a guy. I was kind of impressed.

He's also a savage on the mats. Jesus.

Back