Living the G.I. diet compared to No/Low Carb?

The grocery list looks like a good start to stock up for better eating. Easy swaps for future would be sardines in olive or herring oil instead of soy, and frozen rather than canned shrimp. Taste better, fewer tin linings issues.
The carbs you have on hand are what I would consider relatively "good" carbs. Low gluten, low sugar they should pull you through any cravings or need to taper.

What do you mean fewer tin lining issues? I basically choose those carbs based on the Glycemic index chart in my mother in law's diabetic book (they were all in the GREEN zone) So i just looked at the best of the best and picked my favorites to make it easier for me to stick to.

I am thinking of only eating those carbs on weekends, and maybe scarf down an apple if im feeling lazy - what are your thoughts on that? (is carb loading needed)

Another question for you or anyone who knows the answer..I have slightly higher cholesterol levels due to the obvious..GETTING FAT..with all the fish I am adding to my eating plan I am concerned/confused on the cholesterol in them...what I mean is FAQ's say fish is good and fish oils are promoted..fish good for your heart etc..yet it has cholesterol which is apparently the devil for your heart - a simplified answer would be best for my brain to understand the difference.

I know there is good and bad cholesterol - but on nutrition labels etc it doesn't tell you that.

dump the shitty food and add in exercise and there's no need to count calories etc

I can stick to this because I love those foods - glad you approve. So now I have spent all day reading the best supplements,multi's,etc..I am now leaning towards starting up the 5x5 program by (i think his name was Bill Star) while sticking to this ketogenic diet.

Do you think I will be able to retain the muscle mass I gained while I got fat and still lose BF% based on my diet plan and starting the 5x5 program?

Also if you recommend me taking 5 a day what would you suggest I buy..there are soo many options.

I really have no idea about lifting, so I can't answer any questions in that area. When it comes to fish oil, kirkland signature is my brand of choice because it is the cheapest. Don't get fooled into buying expensive fish oil. Costco or Sam's club is just as good as the high end stuff and is much cheaper, so I would go with one of those.

As for supplements, I take 2000 Iu of vitamin d (its dirt cheap...I just bought the cheapest ones I could find on amazon, but apparently they sell them even cheaper at costco). I also take some magnesium because I noticed that my levels would always be low when putting my diet into fitday...magnesium is dirt cheap as well but probably not really necessary. Vitamin d is definitely something that is good though, unless you get a ton of sun every day.

As for multi's, I personally take Now Adam. It is cheap and seems good to me. You are supposed to take 2 a day but I only take 1 because I eat a good amount of veggies as well. So a years supply is something like 50 bucks if you buy it at the right time online. There are other good cheap ones as well. I personally wouldn't suggest spending a lot on multis unless you have the money for it. I have even heard of people just buying the costco brand one a days and just taking 2 of them to make up for lack of absorption...lyle mcdonald does this and he is quite respected in the world of nutrition.

dump the shitty food and add in exercise and there's no need to count calories etc

good advice! problem is at the moment my body is a wreck after 8-10 years of doing nadda..and I want to turn to a solid nutrition plan to bring my energy levels up and feel like I can handle working out (mentally that is)

I really have no idea about lifting, so I can't answer any questions in that area. When it comes to fish oil, kirkland signature is my brand of choice because it is the cheapest. Don't get fooled into buying expensive fish oil. Costco or Sam's club is just as good as the high end stuff and is much cheaper, so I would go with one of those.

As for supplements, I take 2000 Iu of vitamin d (its dirt cheap...I just bought the cheapest ones I could find on amazon, but apparently they sell them even cheaper at costco). I also take some magnesium because I noticed that my levels would always be low when putting my diet into fitday...magnesium is dirt cheap as well but probably not really necessary. Vitamin d is definitely something that is good though, unless you get a ton of sun every day.

As for multi's, I personally take Now Adam. It is cheap and seems good to me. You are supposed to take 2 a day but I only take 1 because I eat a good amount of veggies as well. So a years supply is something like 50 bucks if you buy it at the right time online. There are other good cheap ones as well. I personally wouldn't suggest spending a lot on multis unless you have the money for it. I have even heard of people just buying the costco brand one a days and just taking 2 of them to make up for lack of absorption...lyle mcdonald does this and he is quite respected in the world of nutrition.

$9 bucks for 400 capsules! That is awesome - thanks :) So you suggest I take 5 a day - that is nearly a 3 month supply

The vitamin d! almost forgot about that - the multi vitamin I plan on taking has 680iu so do you feel I need more then that since you are taking 2000iu?

Hanna Man

I've nothing further to add, it's pretty much been addressed on here already.
Good luck with this diet and update this thread with any issues/progress updates etc... it's always nice to see how people do.

Hanna Man

I've nothing further to add, it's pretty much been addressed on here already.
Good luck with this diet and update this thread with any issues/progress updates etc... it's always nice to see how people do.

Thanks bro! There is one final step I need to incorporate and that is proper supplements to support my new eating plan and workout regiment. So here is what I came up with after reading the FAQ and the majority of the links attached to it thoroughly.

Keep in mind I know the risks involved with going from one extreme to the next and the possibility of having a mental lapse etc..however with that being said I am an extremist and I always go balls to the wall with everything I do. The last 8-10 years was business and now that I acheived certain goals and stability with that I am ready to tackle another thing like personal health.

Animal Pak
Animal Cuts thermogenic
Kirkland Fish oil
Kirkland Vitamin D3 2000 I.U.
Creapure Creatine Monohydrate
Ephedrine HCL 8mg/tablets
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beta Alanine Capsules
L-Carnitine Capsules
100% Pure whey protein isolate 25-50g is fine (after work outs)
100% Casein protein (before bed)

Shit ton of stuff and I understand it will be expensive but I am not concerned about the finances. What I am concerned about is overlapping/overdoing certain things that can be cut out either via diet or just other supplements I have shown above.

Any advice, comments, feedback on my final draft of supplements I selected from these wonderful forums is greatly appreciated once again!

A reminder of my goal - lose body fat % rapidly, maintain muscle mass, get stronger, improve cardiovascular health and just feel and look all around healthier.

Thanks for following along with my thread and yes after I get a few more things out of it that I am looking for I will totally post some results in a few weeeks/months etc

good advice! problem is at the moment my body is a wreck after 8-10 years of doing nadda..and I want to turn to a solid nutrition plan to bring my energy levels up and feel like I can handle working out (mentally that is)

up the greens and ditch the processed food. Buying all the supplemenets and garbage hoopla in the world will not make a difference if you do not do this.

K so been about 4 days now on the Ketogenic diet...felt some dissiness here and there...(when I did i ate a few almonds..2 times I had an apple) other than that its been all protein protein protein FAT FAT FAT lol but the good kinds obviously :) Staying away from sugar and carbs is surprisingly easy..because obviously I prefered meat anyways..only thing to be honest I miss is Basmati rice - maybe after a few weeks I can have a meal with some rice on a weekend.

Yo. Sorry it took me a bit to get in here. I've been as all over the place as your opening post. The thing about the glycemic index is it can be confusing, and people end up eating calorie dense foods because they're low on the glycemic index. Anything that slows gastric emptying (such as fat or fiber content) will lower a food's glycemic rating. Certain forms of dairy that have a good amount of lactose, or added forms of sugar will still be low G.I. because of the fat content. Ice cream, whole milk, etc. But experienced diabetics will tell you a lot of these things still do them no good, especially the "fat free" versions because now you just removed the thing that makes them low G.I. Lactose in and of itself is a very high glycemic sugar, so remove the fat, and you completely change how the food is metabolized.

Unless you can read between the lines, it can be frustrating. Fiber content, fat content, overall effects, and then of course, how sensitive your particular body is. I've had some clients get as low in blood-glucose as 50-60 very easily without batting an eyelash, some it's been an EPIC struggle to get them below 100 (ironically enough, I have both a male and female client right now struggling to get below 100 who are both 6'2"...so if you're designed to be big AND tall, it could be more difficult).

As for your dizziness, be careful because you could be putting yourself into hypoglycemia. This happens frequently if people fly blind, I don't know if you're following your blood-sugar, but if you start feeling dizzy, achy, moody, your blood-glucose may actually be getting TOO low.

Yo. Sorry it took me a bit to get in here. I've been as all over the place as your opening post. The thing about the glycemic index is it can be confusing, and people end up eating calorie dense foods because they're low on the glycemic index. Anything that slows gastric emptying (such as fat or fiber content) will lower a food's glycemic rating. Certain forms of dairy that have a good amount of lactose, or added forms of sugar will still be low G.I. because of the fat content. Ice cream, whole milk, etc. But experienced diabetics will tell you a lot of these things still do them no good, especially the "fat free" versions because now you just removed the thing that makes them low G.I. Lactose in and of itself is a very high glycemic sugar, so remove the fat, and you completely change how the food is metabolized.

Unless you can read between the lines, it can be frustrating. Fiber content, fat content, overall effects, and then of course, how sensitive your particular body is. I've had some clients get as low in blood-glucose as 50-60 very easily without batting an eyelash, some it's been an EPIC struggle to get them below 100 (ironically enough, I have both a male and female client right now struggling to get below 100 who are both 6'2"...so if you're designed to be big AND tall, it could be more difficult).

As for your dizziness, be careful because you could be putting yourself into hypoglycemia. This happens frequently if people fly blind, I don't know if you're following your blood-sugar, but if you start feeling dizzy, achy, moody, your blood-glucose may actually be getting TOO low.

Thank you for the reply Sinister - better late then never.
I applied for some insurance months ago and they rated me due to elevated liver functions,cholesterol etc so I went to my doctor to get further blood work done and tests..found out my blood sugar was like 9.2 after that test where they get you to drink some sugar drink and come back..the doctor told me that if I continue eating the crap I have been for all these years I will 100% get diabetes within 5 years!
It took me a couple of months to get my shit together but I am just trying to gather the 'right' information to the best of my ability and with the help from the experts on here to eat right to shed the lbs and lower my blood sugar levels. I also figured this would be the best time to discipline myself some more and try and transform my body in a good healthy way by lower bf %, blood sugar and retaining or even adding a little bit of lean muscle.

That's all very good stuff. Getting your blood-glucose lower will allow for better fat mobilization, so avoiding the health issues and being more fit will go hand-in-hand.

Back