Living the G.I. diet compared to No/Low Carb?

HannaMan

White Belt
Reaction score
I am new to the forums and just read
Zero Carb= Fantastic Results but Questions Remain thread from start to finish and the book Living the G.I. diet by Rick Gallop & Emily Richards.

I just discovered I have an incredibly high blood sugar approx 9.2 and my doc informed me if I continue eating the way I do diabetes is around the corner. So I want to change my eating habits to lower blood sugar lose some weight and hopefully regain the energy I once had when I used to be a boxer. So this is me please be kind lol..I am 5 7" maybe 8 and weigh in at 218lbs I want to lose weight and get down to approx 175lbs I believe my body type is meant to be lean...but with fast food and no exercise for about 8-10 years I forced my body to change (to a unhealthy fatty) Oh I am 29 years of age.

So I am ready to get healthy..I have the money no problem to buy all the supplements...whole foods..etc I need to reach those goals.

Through my own research on this site and via google and calorie counters my plan is as follows.

Maintenance: 2292 Calories/day
Fat Loss Range: 1736 - 1834 Calories/day

Need 80-180g Protein daily *135* (approx 540 calories)
Need 125g of Fat daily (approx 1125 calories)
Need 38g of Fibre daily
This brings me to 1665 leaving room for about 20-30 grams of carbs per day

What do you guys think of my above plan based on what I told you about me?
The tough friggin part will be trying to pick and choose all the foods to make up that calorie break down and ensure I am getting the proper vitamins/minerals etc..the fibre part seems tough to accomplish without eating carbs too..

Ya long ass post I know..but some feedback or assistance would be great.

P.S. Sinister if you want to help me I would appreciate it and could always donate some dough via paypal!

Peace

If you're just starting out, I think this is too extreme of an approach. (I assume you're just starting out?)

There are a whole lot of easy and effective changes that can be made before you start counting calories, etc.

Pastured meats and their respective fats (this includes dairy), organic vegetable matter, and a dose or two of fruit a day will be your friends. Eat only these, and your ills will subside. Myriad tasty things can be created within the above parameters.

I had a similar story, and trust me cutting the junk is the #1 thing you need to do. It really is hard at times, but you can do it. About 2 years ago i hit 330, hell maybe 340 i wasnt keeping track, i got disgusted with myself. I have what they call a mesomorphic body type so even when I was "lean" i was a good 250-260. Work,family and just being lazy got in the way. Cutting the junk and eating lean is what really healped me start to loose weight, it does make you feel better, eating health makes you feel healthy. I'm now to the point where its down to the final 20-30 pounds. The closer you get to your goal the harder it will get, so just keep your head up and stay motivated.

If you're just starting out, I think this is too extreme of an approach. (I assume you're just starting out?)

There are a whole lot of easy and effective changes that can be made before you start counting calories, etc.

Yes I am just starting out - I want extreme results and I am prepared to go all out (Just want to ensure I am doing the safe and healthy way as to not waste my time or fix one area only to cause problems in another)

I understand what you want, what I'm saying is that an extreme approach might not be the best way to achieve "extreme results" in the long run.

Why don't you post your daily diet, and we can recommend some simple changes from there? You'll start seeing (rewarding) results. If you actually stick with it, then we can look into taking things to the next level, and so on.

The worst thing you can do is try to go all out, fail due to the difficulty, and lapse back into your old habits.

True..I am going to buy some groceries tomorrow..will design a eating plan and post on here..im thinking i will stick to meats, canned fish, broccolli,spinach,zuchinni,basmati rice..i understand what you are saying though about the crash and burn..i need to stick things through for once when it comes to my health - not take on the world all at once :)

1st off, thanks for a well written initial post. Posts like that are rare on here! :icon_chee

All I would say is that if you find switching from a high-ish carb diet to a ketogenic diet to be a bit demanding then maybe look to taper off the carbs - make gradual reduction week by week. It will just make the irritability a bit easier. Of course, if you find going keto from the off an easy thing then go for it.

lower your fat and up your carbs...it is hard to only eat 20-30 grams of carbs a day, especially when you are trying to eat so much fiber.

lower your fat and up your carbs...it is hard to only eat 20-30 grams of carbs a day, especially when you are trying to eat so much fiber.

Sorry I would expect better advice than that..I mean it is carbs I want to stay away from seeing as my blood sugar levels are soooo high and if i continue to eat too much sugars/carbs I am bound to get diabetes..is there no other alternative for a good daily fibre source without feasting on carbs?

1st off, thanks for a well written initial post. Posts like that are rare on here! :icon_chee

All I would say is that if you find switching from a high-ish carb diet to a ketogenic diet to be a bit demanding then maybe look to taper off the carbs - make gradual reduction week by week. It will just make the irritability a bit easier. Of course, if you find going keto from the off an easy thing then go for it.

I thought my initial post was all over the place! lol but glad others including yourself found otherwise :) Uh so..that is some great advice..going grocery shopping right now and will try to go more ketogenic with my choices..I will post my meal plan once I get back - would you recommend sticking to Ketogenic diet for a good week to give my body a chance to adjust before taking a small step back and slowly reducing carbs (atleast that is what I am planning on doing 1-2 weeks and if for some reason I cant adjust or deal with it I will up the carbs some and just do it gradually)

P.S. I appreciate all the comments/advice and direction given by you guys who have been there and done that and know where to go and what to do! lol

Peace

Sorry I would expect better advice than that..I mean it is carbs I want to stay away from seeing as my blood sugar levels are soooo high and if i continue to eat too much sugars/carbs I am bound to get diabetes..is there no other alternative for a good daily fibre source without feasting on carbs?

You do realize that there are people that actually have diabetes that are eating over 100 grams of carbs a day and doing great.

You do realize that there are people that actually have diabetes that are eating over 100 grams of carbs a day and doing great.

Yes I do realize that - My mother in law is a diabetic and eats more then 100g of carbs daily I am sure. However she lent me the book "Living the G.I. diet" which is geared towards eating foods with a low Glycemic levels..so they break it into 3 colors RED - Stay away Yellow - Acceptable Green - Good to go (eat as much as you want) So in a diet geared towards helping diabetics it keeps people away from carbs & high sugar foods. So when I say I did not appreciate your advice I am saying based on what my goals objectives are your blanket statement did not help me..if you want to elaborate for the uneducated (me) I would probally gain more value from your words then a one liner :)

Yes I do realize that - My mother in law is a diabetic and eats more then 100g of carbs daily I am sure. However she lent me the book "Living the G.I. diet" which is geared towards eating foods with a low Glycemic levels..so they break it into 3 colors RED - Stay away Yellow - Acceptable Green - Good to go (eat as much as you want) So in a diet geared towards helping diabetics it keeps people away from carbs & high sugar foods. So when I say I did not appreciate your advice I am saying based on what my goals objectives are your blanket statement did not help me..if you want to elaborate for the uneducated (me) I would probally gain more value from your words then a one liner :)

If you really want to eat healthy while going low carb, you should be eating a LOT of vegetables....and vegetables have carbs. If you are eating enough vegetables you are going to be eating far more carbs than 30 grams. Also nuts are healthy and have a lot of fiber in them, though they also have some carbs. You shouldn't cut these things out because they have some carbs in them.

Alright just got back from grocery shopping - below is a list of items I purchased - any suggestions, comments is greatly appreciated.

Atlantic Salmon (Fresh)
Whole Chicken
Canned Sardines in soya oil (lol i like sardines so I got like 15 cans)
Canned Whole Baby Clams (love these too)
Canned Chucks of Turkey
Canned Cocktail Shrimp (just got a couple of these to mix it up)
Carton of Free Run Just Egg Whites Omega 3 (never tried this..thought but be good)
Carton of Free Run large eggs Omega 3
Turkey Bacon
Peameal Bacon (Canadian Bacon!)
Raw almonds (I will get the few carbs from these guys)
Asparagus
Broccolli
Spinach
Spartan Apples (highest carb content in all my food..will try to eat one for a snack when feeling low energy in a given day)

Incase if you guys recommend restoring carbs on this ketogenic diet I do have some of the following for those days.

Kashi Go Lean cereal
Oatmeal
Dark rye bread
Natural Peanut butter
Basmati Rice

I think I did good - but please share with me other good protein/fat foods to add to my list!

If I were you I wouldn't spend extra on those fancy eggs. Just get regular eggs and pop some omega 3 fish oil pills if you want. Those eggs barely have any omega 3 anyway and the fish oil pills are dirt cheap if you get them at costco or something.

If I were you I wouldn't spend extra on those fancy eggs. Just get regular eggs and pop some omega 3 fish oil pills if you want. Those eggs barely have any omega 3 anyway and the fish oil pills are dirt cheap if you get them at costco or something.

K Thanks for that tip -Do you think I even need fish oil pills with the amount of fish I will be eating daily..I plan on having either a can of sardines, whole baby clams, cocktail shrimp 1-2 times every day for my snacks.

K Thanks for that tip -Do you think I even need fish oil pills with the amount of fish I will be eating daily..I plan on having either a can of sardines, whole baby clams, cocktail shrimp 1-2 times every day for my snacks.

I would say that it definitely wouldn't hurt. If you go to costco they are very cheap. If you are already eating a lot of fish maybe 5 a day would work (instead of the usual 10 a day that a lot of people on here take and a lot of nutritionists suggest). It definitely wouldn't hurt.

Overall your diet seems pretty good, as long as you can stick to it.

The grocery list looks like a good start to stock up for better eating. Easy swaps for future would be sardines in olive or herring oil instead of soy, and frozen rather than canned shrimp. Taste better, fewer tin linings issues.
The carbs you have on hand are what I would consider relatively "good" carbs. Low gluten, low sugar they should pull you through any cravings or need to taper.

I would say that it definitely wouldn't hurt. If you go to costco they are very cheap. If you are already eating a lot of fish maybe 5 a day would work (instead of the usual 10 a day that a lot of people on here take and a lot of nutritionists suggest). It definitely wouldn't hurt.

Overall your diet seems pretty good, as long as you can stick to it.

I can stick to this because I love those foods - glad you approve. So now I have spent all day reading the best supplements,multi's,etc..I am now leaning towards starting up the 5x5 program by (i think his name was Bill Star) while sticking to this ketogenic diet.

Do you think I will be able to retain the muscle mass I gained while I got fat and still lose BF% based on my diet plan and starting the 5x5 program?

Also if you recommend me taking 5 a day what would you suggest I buy..there are soo many options.

Back