Living in a small town versus a big city improve or hinder ones jiujitsu?

any of you guam heads gonna check out Amazon vs. Mike Fowler 2? (3? i forget.)

Coming from the sticks to the city I can say that if I lived in a small town again there would be nowhere to train and nobody to train with... nuff said.

Agreed. In general, the reputable schools with high ranking teachers are in big cities or in the suberbs of big cities (with a few exceptions ofcourse). If you come from a small town and have an instructor higher than a purple/brown belt, consider yourself lucky.

Agreed. In general, the reputable schools with high ranking teachers are in big cities or in the suberbs of big cities (with a few exceptions ofcourse). If you come from a small town and have an instructor higher than a purple/brown belt, consider yourself lucky.

that and in bigger cities you have way more people in your class to roll with

my town in iowa just barely passed the 700 mark. we're a wrestling dynasty. i also go to iowa state, so that should speak leaps and bounds about the grappling talent here. i consider ames a small town.

i don't consider my ground game hindered. not at all.

also the reason some gyms like purebred/loyd irvin dont allow cross training and their members to train withother teams on island is because of loyalty to the gym i dont how oter gyms take loyalty but at purebred/LI we take it very serious

For what it worth :
In my case, I live in a small Island, there is only one noticeable gym in which you can train in grappling. In the last competition, we were 32, 23 of which where from my gym. In my weight category (155) , we were 8.

My teacher, as good as he can be, cannot train us more than 2 days a week cause he has a daily job. "Us" being a bunch of guys of very diverse skills...
undoubtebly, I would be interested in finding some other people to train with,
my teacher would be interested into making groups of different levels...

In other words... that sucks.

But I still enjoy and thanks the guy for being a good instructor.

I live in a small city. We have an amazing gym probably the best of everyone here.

What do you guys think? Does living in a small town miles away from the next big city improve ones Jiujitsu? Im sure theres a reason Pat Militech chose Iowa as his base. Im from Guam a U.S territory in the Pacific. Its a small island and aside from marine sports there's really nothing much to do in a small island. Having said that our grapplers dominate in tournaments held around this region i.e Phillippines, Japan, etc.. by bring gold, silver and bronze medals back. Does being away from a big city and all its distractions and partying help improve ones game or is it just a myth?

its ur coconut juice!!! haha sorry inside joke with me and this friend of mine from Guam.

Some people like the big city, others like the prairies. One isn't better than the other, it's all about preference. Although I must say I was birn in the prairies, grew up in the suburbs now live in the cities. You can get used to anything.

Back