Living in a small town versus a big city improve or hinder ones jiujitsu?

comquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Does living in a small town miles away from the next big city improve ones Jiujitsu? Im sure theres a reason Pat Militech chose Iowa as his base. Im from Guam a U.S territory in the Pacific. Its a small island and aside from marine sports there's really nothing much to do in a small island. Having said that our grapplers dominate in tournaments held around this region i.e Phillippines, Japan, etc.. by bring gold, silver and bronze medals back. Does being away from a big city and all its distractions and partying help improve ones game or is it just a myth?

to be honest bro, its all the person. if a person is drawn to partying and banging chics all night and not training, then a big city would be a bad idea. however, if its your average joe who has a decent job and loves to train, either one is fine. put it this way, the quality of the academy far exceeds its location.

What do you guys think? Does living in a small town miles away from the next big city improve ones Jiujitsu? Im sure theres a reason Pat Militech chose Iowa as his base. Im from Guam a U.S territory in the Pacific. Its a small island and aside from marine sports there's really nothing much to do in a small island. Having said that our grapplers dominate in tournaments held around this region i.e Phillippines, Japan, etc.. by bring gold, silver and bronze medals back. Does being away from a big city and all its distractions and partying help improve ones game or is it just a myth?

I live in a small town and it really doesn't do shit. There's no where to hang out and nothing fun to do at night so EVERYONE drinks/steal street signs/ smash mailbox/ or a combination of all three at the same time while driving. Living in a city might be better cause it's harder to get away with a loud, raucous, party. Out here there's people who have parties that have houses miles away from anyone who would call the cops. Sometimes we even have parties in people's fields. Sounds lame, but it's really fun.

Having said that our grapplers dominate in tournaments held around this region i.e Phillippines, Japan, etc.. by bring gold, silver and bronze medals back.

Wow, your team brings back medals from the Philippines? Impressive. How many academies do they have there... 1?

I think the most important thing anywhere is quality of instruction. Living in a small town can seriously hinder your skills if there is only one place to train and the instruction is lacking.

i would almost make a case that a big city is better because you can choose the best school for you out of the (usually) numerous that are there.

We have several acadamies in Guam. Purebred/Lloyed irvin, Carlson Gracie, The Pound instructor under Marc Laimon, Guahan Top Team affiliated with American Top Team, Gracie Barra & Comquest Relson Gracie affiliation. Also we have many backyard BJJ practioners with no affiliation to any gym or school.

I think the most important thing anywhere is quality of instruction. Living in a small town can seriously hinder your skills if there is only one place to train and the instruction is lacking.

i would almost make a case that a big city is better because you can choose the best school for you out of the (usually) numerous that are there.

I think for a small place Guam has a good number of Acadamies unfortunately the politics and rivalry make it difficult to cross train or even roll with other gyms unless your planning to switch clubs or competing in a tournament. Is this healthy? I don't know. Looks for like a stumbling block to me rather than a chance to improve.

We have several acadamies in Guam. Purebred/Lloyed irvin, Carlson Gracie, The Pound instructor under Marc Laimon, Guahan Top Team affiliated with American Top Team, Gracie Barra & Comquest Relson Gracie affiliation. Also we have many backyard BJJ practioners with no affiliation to any gym or school.

ever..heard..of..a..small..tow..with..that..may..clus.....ad...why..pose..the.questio...if..there,..commi.g..home..medals
sorry...keyoards...fucked

Why train at the other gyms when there is purebreed. I met one Guam's purple belts he also owns Fokai. He was in town to get belted good guy

Fokai for life

My personal experience is limited to training where there is no other grappling instruction around, and overall the learning has been great.

Check the experience of Christian Graugart (shogunhq.blogspot.com). Training alone with his friend pushed him to analyse stuff and think. i would say that if you are inner motivated being in a small town with no grappling instruction around can be an incentive to take your learning into your own hand.

i hope you get the point and I wish you the best
laurent

Why train at the other gyms when there is purebreed. I met one Guam's purple belts he also owns Fokai. He was in town to get belted good guy

Fokai for life

I would like to train with purebred/lloyd irvin and Mike Fowler however their tuition is just a little to0 steep for me. A guy I know switch gyms and is paying $100 and that is a discounted price according to him. Most new guys pay around $120~$140. What do you think?

It's down to the individual. If you can apply yourself, you'll improve. However, one thing I will encourage (which I found was a great benefit when I travelled a few months ago) is to actually travel and go out and about and roll with other people and clubs.

See how the other side trains and rolls if you will. You'll see if your jiu jitsu works and how it does against different styles. I've found that so many people in my club roll the same style cos its my instructors style. Something a bit different was a eye opener.

Coming from the sticks to the city I can say that if I lived in a small town again there would be nowhere to train and nobody to train with... nuff said.

it all depends on the caliper of academy that you go to... i mean, if your training with jacare or Marcel Garcia or someone along those line, no doubt you JJ is going to be better regardless of where you live

it all depends on the caliper of academy that you go to... i mean, if your training with jacare or Marcel Garcia or someone along those line, no doubt you JJ is going to be better regardless of where you live

Yep, totally agree.

I would like to train with purebred/lloyd irvin and Mike Fowler however their tuition is just a little to0 steep for me. A guy I know switch gyms and is paying $100 and that is a discounted price according to him. Most new guys pay around $120~$140. What do you think?

Train At Carlsons... Gabe makes champs....

Fokai for life

talikng bout Roman dela cruz hes one of the better guys i have ever met in life

Back