Living in a Ban State

FyrFytr998

When the shit keeps piling up…Get a shovel.
@Gold
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share some of my experience of being a weapon owner in a state that has an Assault Weapons Ban in place. I would also invite others that live in states similar to mine to share their experiences as well. I figure with the renewed push for gun legislation after this most recent shooting in Florida, the liberal snowflakes might make some headway on an all out AW ban in some places.

Life for a 2nd Amendment practitioner in a post Newtown Massacre Connecticut is not nearly as bad as our gun grabbing politicians would have you believe they are making it. We may not like it, but it's not nearly as bad as other states. Even with an AW Ban, we still can conceal carry all the live long day.

The truth of the matter is despite a banned by name and features list in effect. I still have plenty of legal options available to me, IF I'm willing to pay the price gougers. Here is a list of my AR/AK/Semiautomatic options currently, because we all know it could change at any second....

- Pre Ban (Sep 1994) AR/AK's not banned by name. (There has been some court action on this recently.)
- Fixed Magazine AR's and VZ's
- AR/AK functioning systems with traditional stocks (SCR, Saiga Sporter)
- SKS rifles with either a traditional stock or bubba'd up.
- Ruger Mini's of any variety, except no folding stock or flash hider
- Any non NFA weapon that does not fall under the ATF Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun designations such as AoW, Other, and Firearm.

The only real winners in this state are the price gougers. What's only a few hundred dollars in a free state costs $1500 minimum for pre ban AR and AK offerings here. I personally said screw that and put my trust into my Ruger Mini 14. For the money, it's the most complete rifle we can buy without having to modify it, and it doesn't scare the snowflakes.

While Murphy, Blumenthal, and Malloy grandstand on the national stage at every tragedy. The fact remains that pro gun groups have done well to make sure CT residents have options. I feel bad for my other restricted state brothers that can't even conceal carry legally.

TL;DR - Despite political grandstanders, CT residents got options, and still pack heat legally.

Let's hear it Cali, NY, NJ, and Illini bros.

CA is very county dependent on CCW.

I just sold my XDS 9mm to a dude for $700. Which was was like $150 less than going price because it is an off roster gun.

I still have my Saiga, M1A and AR15. They are working on registering the ARs but still dont have the system up and running.

I just sold my XDS 9mm to a dude for $700. Which was was like $150 less than going price because it is an off roster gun.
I still have my Saiga, M1A and AR15. They are working on registering the ARs but still dont have the system up and running.

I'd love to have that XDS to conceal (I prefer the trigger just a little over the Shield) but our Sheriff, Geoff Dean, has said he will not approve any CCW for off roster handguns.

I hate having the bullet button, but I've learned to deal with it. I've been in at least one situation where I needed to clear the rifle, but had to look around for something to drop the magazine, as opposed to just being able to do it with my hands. As a military vet, it irks me to be limited to a 10 round magazine in my AR... I liken it to having a sports car with a 5 gallon tank. My AR will not be registered, and I will most likely make it featureless.

It also sucks having to listen to elected officials like Feinstein talk about how evil guns are and how people can't be trusted to use them responsibly, when she herself is a CCW. I think she's basically forged her whole career off the Moscone and Milk assassinations. I've tried to get a hold of my congresswoman Julia Brownley, but I just get stonewalled. They're all dyed-in-the-wool liberals. I have ZERO faith that I would ever be heard with an open mind anyway.

I just started a new job at a hospital as an Infosec / HIPAA Compliance Analyst so I want to put in at least 3 years here before seriously deciding to leave the State. It really sucks, I was born and raised here on KRTH 101 and Double-Doubles (amongst other things), but the gov't has grown so hostile, raising taxes, and clamping down on self-reliance and the numbers to reverse the tide just aren't there. The hepatitis infected homeless population is getting worse. I've had nurses in the ED tell me don't touch them. The Thomas Fire just burned up a lot of my favorite hiking places.

Aww, fuck it. I'm done.

<Huh2>

Holy shit I can get a new .40/357 sig xds for less than half of that, $345 shipped and after ffl fee. Add $20 for 9mm.
I think I bought it for leas than 4. Its sat in my safe for over a year and I don't carry it since I switched to the M&P 9c.

Guy I sold it to said he's seen them listed for as high as 900 to a grand on Cal Guns. I went with the lower end of what I saw them going for there. Literally sold it in like 4 hours time from listing it and driving out to meet the guy at his FFL. Needed the $$ for my custody battle with my ex...

Cops are exempt from the featureless requirement, no?

I do have a set up in mind should Hell freeze over and the gen pop loses all semiautomatics. I’ll just run a Troy PAR and a .357 revolver.

I'd love to have that XDS to conceal (I prefer the trigger just a little over the Shield) but our Sheriff, Geoff Dean, has said he will not approve any CCW for off roster handguns.

I hate having the bullet button, but I've learned to deal with it. I've been in at least one situation where I needed to clear the rifle, but had to look around for something to drop the magazine, as opposed to just being able to do it with my hands. As a military vet, it irks me to be limited to a 10 round magazine in my AR... I liken it to having a sports car with a 5 gallon tank. My AR will not be registered, and I will most likely make it featureless.

It also sucks having to listen to elected officials like Feinstein talk about how evil guns are and how people can't be trusted to use them responsibly, when she herself is a CCW. I think she's basically forged her whole career off the Moscone and Milk assassinations. I've tried to get a hold of my congresswoman Julia Brownley, but I just get stonewalled. They're all dyed-in-the-wool liberals. I have ZERO faith that I would ever be heard with an open mind anyway.

I just started a new job at a hospital as an Infosec / HIPAA Compliance Analyst so I want to put in at least 3 years here before seriously deciding to leave the State. It really sucks, I was born and raised here on KRTH 101 and Double-Doubles (amongst other things), but the gov't has grown so hostile, raising taxes, and clamping down on self-reliance and the numbers to reverse the tide just aren't there. The hepatitis infected homeless population is getting worse. I've had nurses in the ED tell me don't touch them. The Thomas Fire just burned up a lot of my favorite hiking places.

Aww, fuck it. I'm done.

Going featureless means no bullet button right? If so, you might wanna jump on a SCR lower before the next price jump.
yWgDFBE.jpg

Cops are exempt from the featureless requirement, no?

I do have a set up in mind should Hell freeze over and the gen pop loses all semiautomatics. I’ll just run a Troy PAR and a .357 revolver.
No, we are only exempt if we get a rifle for PD use. Requires department letter head and usually a Chief level sign off. If you get that, you can get a non-neutered AR. Otherwise we still fall under all the other crap.

Our Chief just recently decided to sign letters. I've been at my agency for almost 10 years and this last year and a half or so is the first time we could get letters. Don't have the funds to get one right now unfortunately.

Just thought I'd share some of my experience of being a weapon owner in a state that has an Assault Weapons Ban in place. I would also invite others that live in states similar to mine to share their experiences as well. I figure with the renewed push for gun legislation after this most recent shooting in Florida, the liberal snowflakes might make some headway on an all out AW ban in some places.

Life for a 2nd Amendment practitioner in a post Newtown Massacre Connecticut is not nearly as bad as our gun grabbing politicians would have you believe they are making it. We may not like it, but it's not nearly as bad as other states. Even with an AW Ban, we still can conceal carry all the live long day.

The truth of the matter is despite a banned by name and features list in effect. I still have plenty of legal options available to me, IF I'm willing to pay the price gougers. Here is a list of my AR/AK/Semiautomatic options currently, because we all know it could change at any second....

- Pre Ban (Sep 1994) AR/AK's not banned by name. (There has been some court action on this recently.)
- Fixed Magazine AR's and VZ's
- AR/AK functioning systems with traditional stocks (SCR, Saiga Sporter)
- SKS rifles with either a traditional stock or bubba'd up.
- Ruger Mini's of any variety, except no folding stock or flash hider
- Any non NFA weapon that does not fall under the ATF Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun designations such as AoW, Other, and Firearm.

The only real winners in this state are the price gougers. What's only a few hundred dollars in a free state costs $1500 minimum for pre ban AR and AK offerings here. I personally said screw that and put my trust into my Ruger Mini 14. For the money, it's the most complete rifle we can buy without having to modify it, and it doesn't scare the snowflakes.

While Murphy, Blumenthal, and Malloy grandstand on the national stage at every tragedy. The fact remains that pro gun groups have done well to make sure CT residents have options. I feel bad for my other restricted state brothers that can't even conceal carry legally.

TL;DR - Despite political grandstanders, CT residents got options, and still pack heat legally.

Let's hear it Cali, NY, NJ, and Illini bros.

Which state is it where you can’t. Ring in new handguns or something like that??? Ie: if you want a certain handgun, you have to look for somebody who’s already in the state who wants to sell it or something like that.

Which state is it where you can’t. Ring in new handguns or something like that??? Ie: if you want a certain handgun, you have to look for somebody who’s already in the state who wants to sell it or something like that.

I believe @Protectandserve said Commiefornia has a roster of new guns allowed for purchase, and I believe it gets smaller every year, because manufacturers refuse to do something that has to do with stamping.

I believe @Protectandserve said Commiefornia has a roster of new guns allowed for purchase, and I believe it gets smaller every year, because manufacturers refuse to do something that has to do with stamping.

That is correct. It basically amounts to a tax on gun manufacturers but it has grown worse; all new pistols to the roster need to have "microstamping" which is a de-facto ban on any new model of pistol to be sold here.

Here's a link to the CA roster:

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

Manufacturers have to reapply guns that are already on the roster every year to keep current models legal for sale in the state. If they update a pistol design it's automatically dropped from the roster unless it has a loaded chamber indicator and it can 'microstamp' a unique identifying marker on spent brass (bullshit technology that doesn't exist and would take 2 minutes with a file for criminals to defeat if it did). No new pistols will likely ever be added to it as long as the requirements exist in their current form.

Private party transfers can get around this bullshit but you will pay a hefty premium. Here's a popular forum for setting up PPTs in California, just look at the prices for offroster guns:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=332

1100 average for P320s (NOT X5s)

1700 for a P226 Mk.25 that doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator

1100 for a PPQ with a thousand rounds through it

...the list continues

CCW is no issue or extremely limited issue for many counties in California. Luckily I live in Kern, which has a strong 2A Sheriff who hands out CCWs to practically anyone who can pass a background check. Also you can basically shoot anywhere you want as long as you're a few hundred feet from any dwelling and have the owner's permission, and the sheriff is a vocal critic about California's absurd firearms regulations. It's essentially west Texas transplanted into California (in terms of culture). So even though the state may be a total shitshow, there are still some pockets where being a gun owner isn't that bad.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the CA roster:

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

Manufacturers have to reapply guns that are already on the roster every year to keep current models legal for sale in the state. If they update a pistol design it's automatically dropped from the roster unless it has a loaded chamber indicator and it can 'microstamp' a unique identifying marker on spent brass (bullshit technology that doesn't exist and would take 2 minutes with a file for criminals to defeat if it did). No new pistols will likely ever be added to it as long as the requirements exist in their current form.

Private party transfers can get around this bullshit but you will pay a hefty premium. Here's a popular forum for setting up PPTs in California, just look at the prices for offroster guns:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=332

1100 average for P320s (NOT X5s)

1700 for a P226 Mk.25 that doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator

1100 for a PPQ with a thousand rounds through it

...the list continues

CCW is no issue or extremely limited issue for many counties in California. Luckily I live in Kern, which has a strong 2A Sheriff who hands out CCWs to practically anyone who can pass a background check. Also you can basically shoot anywhere you want as long as you're a few hundred feet from any dwelling and have the owner's permission, and the sheriff is a vocal critic about California's absurd firearms regulations. It's essentially west Texas transplanted into California (in terms of culture). So even though the state may be a total shitshow, there are still some pockets where being a gun owner isn't that bad.

Those are some insane prices. I can empathize. I think the CT Unicorn is finding a Preban AR pistol or virgin receiver that is Preban. The last Preban AR pistol I saw sold for $2700 dollars or so. With a pistol brace you can get a SBR size without the tax stamp.

And while I’m grateful for them, I also think builders that can get around state bans by using ATF definitions to their advantage are drawing the wrath of grabbers as well. Especially now that you can shoulder a pistol brace without penalty. This is not a rifle or a pistol.

71E9BE30-BB97-4230-9B8B-B27A029A007E.jpeg

Can you build an 80% there ?

The AR you pictured is a SBR. The vertical forward grip on a <16" barrel makes it a fucking NFA weapon. :mad:

And while I’m grateful for them, I also think builders that can get around state bans by using ATF definitions to their advantage are drawing the wrath of grabbers as well. Especially now that you can shoulder a pistol brace without penalty. This is not a rifle or a pistol.

View attachment 352023

Can you build an 80% there ?

The AR you pictured is a SBR. The vertical forward grip on a <16" barrel makes it a fucking NFA weapon. :mad:

Read the ATF definition. Not a rifle. Not a pistol. A rifle (long or short) is only a rifle, if it was designed to be shouldered. The ATF has already defined these as AoW’s. The ATF pistol brace ruling has made SBR tax stamps obsolete. If I lived in a free state, a suppressed AR pistol with a brace would be my ultimate PDW.
E5274B95-1A09-41B3-9A2D-119C1BC54653.jpeg

That’s a no on 80%’s for us. I think.

EDIT: I might also add, that for a firearm to be ATF defined legal as an AOW or "other". It can never have been a pistol or rifle in it's existence. Which means these firearms are all built off virgin receivers. Converting a papered rifle or pistol falls under the NFA.

Last edited:
Back