Liver Health

zere0wn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you guys that drink worry about damaging your liver? How can you tell if your liver is running optimally?

I recently had a problem pop up (hemorrhoid), which I attributed (after hours of research) to some liver congestion as a result of excessive excessive alcohol consumption. Might be a completely off diagnosis but it got me wondering.

I'm not a consistent throughout the week drinker but for the past 5 years I've been the kind of person who would get fucked up (borderline blackout or blackout) at least once a week and earlier on twice maybe 3 times a week. The past year I have worked on cutting back but still do this on occasion. I'm 23 years old.

Curious what the odds are I could have done some kind of less than temporary damage to my liver as a result of this?

Decided to not drink for minimum 3 months and wondering about doing something for my liver and see if I notice any effects from it. From what I've read, most of that cleanse stuff is bullshit.

Thoughts?

----

It would also be cool if this could be a thread on anything kinda liver-related. Couldn't find any good thread on the topic.

Rather than wondering about it, you should go to your doctor and get your liver enzymes checked. It's a common and inexpensive piece of lab work.

I take milk thistle twice daily because it's supposed to help maintain healthy liver function, and I do like to have a few once in awhile. However...with the amount you said you tend to drink when you do drink, no supplement could help you there. It certainly won't hurt to take something designed to keep your liver functioning properly, but that doesn't mean you can go crazy either. The best thing to do is what the above poster said so that you know where you're at right now, but then you need to keep the cutback of alcohol serious for the long term not just until your liver recovers. Either be a social drinker, or quit drinking altogether for life.

Rather than wondering about it, you should go to your doctor and get your liver enzymes checked. It's a common and inexpensive piece of lab work.

Yea you are probably right. I probably could get a bunch of other bloodwork type stuff while I'm there too just to get a general checkup. Never had it done in my adult life.

I take milk thistle twice daily because it's supposed to help maintain healthy liver function, and I do like to have a few once in awhile. However...with the amount you said you tend to drink when you do drink, no supplement could help you there. It certainly won't hurt to take something designed to keep your liver functioning properly, but that doesn't mean you can go crazy either. The best thing to do is what the above poster said so that you know where you're at right now, but then you need to keep the cutback of alcohol serious for the long term not just until your liver recovers. Either be a social drinker, or quit drinking altogether for life.

I was beginning to and now have fully realized this. Thanks for the info.

Definition for a problem drinker is = Does it cause you problems?

Even if you cut back to once a week, month or year the potential is there to cause liver damage when you over do it. After your blood work I would suggest to stop eating all processed food and stick with whole & organic foods, as always drink lots of water & cut back on caffeine. Do a little research there are lots of foods that promote liver health that I can't even begin to name. The liver is a fantastic organ and can heal itself with the proper care. Good Luck!

If you find you can't stop drinking keep in mind that there is help out there, don't wait until it's too late you can save yourself alot of pain and misery.

Definition for a problem drinker is = Does it cause you problems?

Even if you cut back to once a week, month or year the potential is there to cause liver damage when you over do it. After your blood work I would suggest to stop eating all processed food and stick with whole & organic foods, as always drink lots of water & cut back on caffeine. Do a little research there are lots of foods that promote liver health that I can't even begin to name. The liver is a fantastic organ and can heal itself with the proper care. Good Luck!

If you find you can't stop drinking keep in mind that there is help out there, don't wait until it's too late you can save yourself alot of pain and misery.

Thanks for the advice. I'm eating Paleoish right now so the most processed thing I eat is bacon. Also drink min 3L water a day. So I think I eat pretty good besides the whole tons of alcohol thing. No caffeine either.

Quittings not going to be a problem. I don't know if its the people I have surrounded myself with or if its just the general culture of people here in America my age but everyone I know loves getting wasted regularly (2-3x+/week in the summer). I wonder if previous generations or people in other countries are the same. Luckily I'm an independent kind of guy.

Agree with the milk thistle recommendation, also look into n-acetylcysteine, which as far as I'm concerned is a wonder supplement that also has liver protective effects. Its mechanism of action is boosting the body's glutathione levels. Glutathione is the body's major internal anti-oxidant that neutralises many of the free radicals created by the oxidation/metabolism alcohol, drug and other exogenous chemicals, pollutants, poisons etc.

Obviously, the real root of the problem is drinking, which at least is acknowledged as an issue. Supplements can only do so much. If your drinking has been excessive (and believe me, many people don't realise their drinking is excessive), as someone suggested, get your enzyme levels checked (it's something you may possibly need to pay out of pocket for, but you only have one liver).

Also consider that alcohol is not good for your body's normal metabolism. Much of what you eat while drinking will be stored as fat. Additionally, alcohol will increase your estrogen levels, which if you're a man like me, is not a positive.

Moderation is key. If you can't moderate, quit altogether (obviously easier said than done).

Sinister maybe you can answer this one for me since you've brought up glutathione before. I want to specifically protect or enhance the natural function of my liver to keep it in good shape for when I get a lot older. I firmly believe in prevention. Would it be better to take milk thistle, n-acetylcysteine, or a combo of both? I know that milk thistle is specifically for the liver, and glutathione is a major antioxident. I don't know just how much the production of glutathione via n-acetylcysteine focuses on the liver compared to the milk thistle.

Back