Live Rolling vs Drilling Technique

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by GetBeasty, Aug 27, 2010.

1. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

I have been training BJJ for a little over a year now.

I am not currently enrolled in any school, and I train only once (sometimes twice) a week due to being married, having a kid & a full time job. I do run/lift/bike/swim every day, but can only get together to train BJJ on the weekends. Most of my time is spent rolling (2 to 3 hours each session), with very little time devoted to drilling technique.

I train with my uncle, who has been grappling for about 4 years and is close to being a purple belt.

I am currently training to compete October 2nd in my first tournament (NAGA Southeast). What value would you place on live rolling experience vs. drilling technique? Also, I have very little takedown experience since we start from various positions (usually in each other's guard).

Thanks.

2. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

More time should be devoted to drilling than rolling if you want the simple answer. However, the more complicated answer is that there are many degrees in between and the distinction between drilling and rolling is not always clear.

Here is the continuum:

Negative resistance drilling: Your partner actively helps you complete the technique.

No resistance drilling: Your partner does not do anything active, but also complies with everything you do.

Passive resistance drilling: Your partner is obstinate, but does not really attempt to counter attack on his own.

Active resistance drilling: Also called positional sparring. You start from a given position, but your partner actively resists from there.

Active resistance rolling: What is normally called rolling. It's not generally fought with 100% intensity, but both participants are trying to defeat the other with no preset parameters. The goal here is more improvement than winning.

Competition: Active resistance rolling, but with 100% intensity. The overriding goal is to win.

3. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

How much live rolling would someone in a traditional setting get in per week? Maybe an hour or two?

4. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

I also think you should do positional games at full or close to full speed. This seems to help alot imo.

Start in side control (set timer for 1,3 or 5 minutes) and the game is guy on bottom must regain full guard or escape, guy on top must get full mount. Anytime some "wins" start over.

Same with starting in someones guard (the game is to pass and control in side vs. getting swept or stuck in guard.)

there are many situational games/drills that should be done over and over imo.

Balto what do you think of these types of games?

5. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

depends on how often they go to class to be honest.

I think its important to get live rolling with multiple partners, not just the same guy that knows your moves and you know his and you both know what will work againts eachother.

6. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Those games are very important to development. They fall under the active resistance drilling category in what I had listed. There is a defined purpose to the drill, but it is done with normal resistance from both parties.

What you described is actually my preferred method for learning something new. No resistance drilling for muscle memory is easier for newer guys to do, but I just feel like I learn best with practical resistance. Once I get past the basic no resistance stage, I'd rather continue honing it with active resistance drills instead.

7. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

Dude, I get 25 minutes a class in my Gi BJJ of live rolling with different partners every 5 mins. First 30 mins of class is working a technique (or a couple of them) then we go roll. In my No Gi class they are a little longer so i can get about 45 mins of live rolling with multiple partners. I train 7 days a week and many times two different classes a day.

Now you can do the math, how much live rolling do you think I get? AND agaisnst different people and sizes all the time.

8. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

Yeah that's another problem, I roll with the same two or three guys (mostly one). Although they all outweigh me by 20-100 lbs.

I haven't rolled with someone my same weight in a while (I'm at 175)

9. ShindoNinja

ShindoNinja faixa marrom

Do any of you guys have training partners that make every drill into situational sparring? It gets kind of frustrating and makes it harder to learn complex techniques.

10. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

If I'm working on a new skill set or technique, zero resistance. If I'm refining something that I'm already decent at, 20/30 percent resistance helps a lot. Solo drills specific to the techniques you are working also help a lot to develop the muscle groups that you need to perform the technique.

11. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

bro all u gotta do is roll thats what i do and then u will learn everything u need 2 kno when u roll

12. POPPA ROTZEE

POPPA ROTZEE Brown Belt

I do classes 3 times a week which devote 30 minute to an hour of rolling and about 15 minutes of drilling. Then, I take 4 moves and drill them 1000 x a month for an hour a day on Mondays and wed. with our black belt wolverine.

13. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

I've been doing BJJ for about 4 months now. You have to have a balance of both because if you don't drill a technique and get proper instruction on it, than you can't properly learn it and impliment it rolling.

Rolling is good because it trains your instincts and put you in situations where you can think "oh, gee, I'm in his half guard... now what do I do?" If you don't have or know a good technique you've trained, you got nothing but to try and advance your postion, which you can only do so much.