1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Little tip for those who lift in Chucks...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by XTrainer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Even though I use Oly shoes for most of my lifting, I still use Chucks for deadlifts and anything that will require me to run around along with my lifts (i.e., strongman stuff).

My Chucks have actually held up pretty well over the past couple years, but I've been through several pairs of laces. They always seem to snap at the worst time, like when you're tightening them up before a heavy deadlift. :(

Not wanting this to happen in my first strongman competition, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I relaced my shoes with 550 paracord. If you're an outdoorsy-type guy like me, there's a good chance you have some lying around. If you don't, it's dirt cheap, compared to buying new laces.

This is very easy to do--I'm not a "crafty" person at all. Just cut the paracord (with scissors) to the length you need for your shoes, and then thread it through like a normal shoelace. Then, singe the ends of the laces with a lighter to prevent fraying, and let them cool (your new laces should feel like they have solid, plastic-like ends).

Now you have some ridiculously durable shoelaces, and it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace them, should you need to, than with conventional laces.

There's also a side benefit. Paracord has some stretch to it, so your shoes will fit more comfortably. To try to put it into words, it's more of a "squeeze" than the "bite" you get when tightening down normal laces. I like it, I think you will too.

Anyway, just a tip to get more mileage out of your Chucks and ensure that they are ready to go when you need them.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

good stuff. I stole a 200 foot spool of 550 chord before I got out of the military. I called it a parting gift. Your shoelaces will now endure anything.

3. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

Skate laces.

4. Morganation

Morganation Brown Belt

This thread reminds me to not be so cheap and get some Chucks.

5. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I always wore hiking shoes when doing strongman, except for pressing where I wore oly shoes.

6. flak

flak Guest

Speaking of Chuck Taylors and shoelaces, the stock-parts laces on my low-tops are ridiculously long. So after I double-tie 'em, I always tuck the loops ("bunny ears") and the ends (tips) underneath one of the laces that crosses over the top of my foot.

It prevents the laces from dragging on the ground, possibly get stepped on and possibly cause me to bust ass. Not a big thing, but if I'm doing squats or deads, I want to minimize the things that could go wrong. And I don't want to fall and get busted up on the way to or from the gym, either.:D

7. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I never even tie my chucks.

8. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I thought wearing Chucks was being cheap? They retail for like $40, I imagine you can get them $20-$30 online. Great investment, I'd say. I can't imagine deadlifting in anything else. I don't really dig barefoot, and the other options I might consider at some point (like Vibram Five Fingers) are twice as expensive.

Any particular reason there? Hiking boots are pretty much my daily shoe, and I do a lot of hiking/walking in them, but I don't think I'd like them for lifting.

9. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Seriously? Maybe it's psychological, but I get them really snug before I lift. I often retie them if it doesn't feel just right. I often tighten them up again before difficult lifts/sets. I think it helps. Or, maybe I'm just obsessive-compulsive.

10. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

I like to deadlift without shoes, but this tip is probably good for work type shoes as well.

11. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

The main reason I wear them is that most gyms require shoes be worn. When at the lifting club, I sometimes pull in my socks.

12. scoopj

scoopj ackson

This sounds like me. +1 on the obsessive-compulsive conclusion.

13. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Thanks X Trainer thats a great tip, because I just snapped my lace on my left shoe so using something more durable makes perfect sense.

14. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

For many strongman movements, you don't want a flat foot, especially on those requiring forward momentum (tires, farmers, etc.)

Mine were similar to this: [​IMG]

They allowed for some ankle flexion and a bit of protection, instead of regular mid/high stiffer hiking boots. Almost all the strongmen I worked out with and competed with wore similar shoes, if not something like a trail runner.

15. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

^Interesting, I'll have to give that some thought.

16. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

Never had a problem with fraying or worn out laces, but I always relace my boots with paracord just 'cause it's the survivalist thing to do.

17. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I'm fucking decked out in paracord head to toe. Neck knife haning by it, bracelet made of it, belt, rifle strap, shoelaces... you all laugh now but someday you're gonna be like "you know what we need? Some fucking rope!" And I'm gonna be hangin from a hole in the ceiling blastin mobsters cause ill never be without it...

18. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

Why would you use a paracord belt or sling?

I have used my rigger's belt for about 3 years now and yes, I have rappelled down several buildings with it.

[​IMG]

19. cXs808

cXs808 Brown Belt

plastic tip at end of shoelace = aglet

20. scoopj

scoopj ackson

I can confirm this. In fact, thanks to Phineas and Ferb, my entire family is quite familiar with the term "aglet". That was a good episode.