Little help with injury/type of doctor

AtlSteel

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My son's right knee (the outside) always gets sore when he runs and sometimes when he squats. Rowing does not aggravate it. We got an MRI and no structural problems but a little bit of fluid indicating that something is aggravated. This might be technique related but really can't tell. For the squat technique check, the Dr. suggested a trainer. We lift in our home gym, but we have access to Lifetime Fitness and their trainers, but I don't think I trust them. I suspect I would get different advice from every one of them - could be wrong. I guess the immediate question is what kind of professional can take a look at squat technique and diagnose something like this? Thanks in advance.

My son's right knee (the outside) always gets sore when he runs and sometimes when he squats. Rowing does not aggravate it. We got an MRI and no structural problems but a little bit of fluid indicating that something is aggravated. This might be technique related but really can't tell. For the squat technique check, the Dr. suggested a trainer. We lift in our home gym, but we have access to Lifetime Fitness and their trainers, but I don't think I trust them. I suspect I would get different advice from every one of them - could be wrong. I guess the immediate question is what kind of professional can take a look at squat technique and diagnose something like this? Thanks in advance.

You would likely want to look at finding a sports medicine doctor. A center that focuses on sports medicine and rehabilitation. They will have the best information for you.

@AtlSteel

Are you from Atlanta? I can give you some great recommendations if you're in the metro area or city.

It's fairly normal to get pain somewhere when beginning new demanding physical activities.

Running and squatting are both demanding , particularly for anyone who has not been consistently physically demanding sporting activities for the past couple of years.

A number of things could be causing the pain, none of them ominous.
Look at gene cops diagram, where does it hurt?

The pain might go away all by itself as your son builds up a tolerance. But it could be due to imbalances in muscles/mobility and bad movement patterns created from years of inactivity. In which case focusing on exercises/activities to improve the deficits can be extremely useful.

Is the squatting in question, weighted barbell back squats? Or do you mean a bodyweight squat?
I ask because most people underestimate what can be achieved without barbells. Barbells are extremely useful for fast radical changes to strength and muscularity but it can be at a large cost if your body is not in good shape to tolerate them.
And unless the goal is to increase the squat for the sake of the squat (powerlifting etc) almost everyone ends up overdoing it, because it's addictive wanting to milk your body for every last Oz of possible gains.

Back