List the superfights that the UFC has made

If the current champion of the LW division (and former WW champion) fights the current WW champion and isn't the definition of a Superfight then what the hell is a Superfight?

The only Superfights in Zuffa UFC history are:

GSP UFC WW champion vs BJ Penn UFC LW champion
Dan Henderson Pride MW (aka LHW) vs Rampage Jackson UFC LHW champion
Dan Henderson Pride WW (aka MW) vs Anderson Silva UFC MW champion

There have been no others that I can recall. I don't believe any SF champions fought immediately for any UFC titles.

Edit: Giblert Melendes SF LW champion got an immediate title shot vs Benson Henderson UFC LW champion

My thoughts as well.

Edgar Aldo and almost Aldo Pettis

Maybe Anderson Diaz?

Youre being a twat. Im not just naming different weight classes. Iisted lesnar vs nog, lombard vs silva, alvarez vs edgar etc etc. Do you have difficulty reading?

Alvarez vs. Edgar? What are you smoking? There was never a time when that fight made sense.

How about instead of listing arbitrary fights that were never made you list the ones that were? Instead of fighting a 3-1 fighter, Nog fought Mir, the guy who beat Brock. Instead of fighting Lombard, Silva fought a much bigger fight in the rematch with Sonnen. Lombard was given a guy he was supposed to run through and let everyone down. That's all on him. The UFC made the right decision in both of those matchups.

If the current champion of the LW division (and former WW champion) fights the current WW champion and isn't the definition of a Superfight then what the hell is a Superfight?

The only Superfights in Zuffa UFC history are:

GSP UFC WW champion vs BJ Penn UFC LW champion
Dan Henderson Pride MW (aka LHW) vs Rampage Jackson UFC LHW champion
Dan Henderson Pride WW (aka MW) vs Anderson Silva UFC MW champion

There have been no others that I can recall. I don't believe any SF champions fought immediately for any UFC titles.

Edit: Giblert Melendes SF LW champion got an immediate title shot vs Benson Henderson UFC LW champion

GSP vs. Shields

wandy chuck

Missed Couture vs Cro Cop, Sylvia vs Cro Cop,
GSP/Silva is the huge blown opportunity.
Not truly a superfight, but Swick vs Leben was a missed opportunity when they were both on runs after the buildup on TUF.
Pettis should have fought for the belt as soon as he moved to the UFC. Was BJ still champ, or was it Edgar then?

Ronda vs Kevin Nash/Scott Hall.

Last edited:
Tough for UFC to make the super fights when divs are 10-20 pounds apart and fighters/champs arent willing to move up to fight each other.

UFC tried to get Fedor, he wouldnt sign.

They pushed for GSP to move up to fight Silva, he wouldnt.

They wanted Silva/Jones but Silva didnt seem into it.

They pushed for GSP to move up to fight Silva

I never saw any concrete evidence of that, and Dana never seemed too convincing in his assertions that he wanted to make the fight.

Missed Couture vs Cro Cop, Sylvia vs Cro Cop,
GSP/Silva is the huge blown opportunity.
Not truly a superfight, but Swick vs Leben was a missed opportunity when they were both on runs after the buildup on TUF.
Pettis should have fought for the belt as soon as he moved to the UFC. Was BJ still champ, or was it Edgar then?

They couldn't make that fight. Edgar vs. Maynard ended in an amazing fight and draw remember?

They couldn't make that fight. Edgar vs. Maynard ended in an amazing fight and draw remember?

My memory's a little fuzzy about those days... looking back at Fight Finder, I had a lot of shit going on in my life then that clouded my memory (other than smoking crack).
Pettis in a champ vs champ fight could've been pushed big time. In the long run, I think the Guida loss probably made him a better fighter, but champ against champ would've been cool.
Pettis would've had to wait awhile looking at the dates, though.

My memory's a little fuzzy about those days... looking back at Fight Finder, I had a lot of shit going on in my life then that clouded my memory (other than smoking crack).
Pettis in a champ vs champ fight could've been pushed big time. In the long run, I think the Guida loss probably made him a better fighter, but champ against champ would've been cool.
Pettis would've had to wait awhile looking at the dates, though.

It was his call and he would've had to sit out a long time. Edgar vs. Maynard III was the fight that had to happen.

In the long run it set up Bendo as the champ and Pettis as the title contender. Which imo was the more compelling fight.

The Chris vs Lyoto. I consider it a superfight if it's between a champion and a former champion if they're both in their prime.

The only true super fight the UFC has ever made was ruined because the "champion" from the heavier division allowed his corner to lube his back and shoulders with Vaseline.

Back