LISS specific adaptations versus HIIT

apizur**

Aggressive Finesse.
@Brown
Reaction score
As I understand, anaerobic exercise causes both aerobic and anaerobic adaptations. I've also come to hear on several occasions that LISS has specific aerobic adaptation advantages over HIIT that creates a call for it, no matter how much HIIT you do. What are those advantages?? Or did we determine that HIIT really is the holy grail of conditioning?

Don't let me asking for sources dissuade you from answering, but sources.

I'm going to get disagreement here going in and I realize that but here goes....HIIT is probably the only protocol that a person needs for general fitness or fat loss...LISS is effective for athletes for reasons i wont get into but really IMO you dont even NEED conditioning period if you are lifting weights for the reason you stated..overall conditioning is specific to the activity for which you are training for

I supposed I deserved that.

For fight conditioning. Competitive level fighting.

Reread the conditioning FAQ.

My RHR is in the low 40s right now (lowest its ever been) and I haven't run further than 3.2km in one hit in the last 9 months, so... roadwork.

My RHR is in the low 40s right now (lowest its ever been) and I haven't run further than 3.2km in one hit in the last 9 months, so... roadwork.

What's your pace?

Reread the conditioning FAQ.

This. The Conditioning FAQ has good explanations and sources thanks to miaou.

But to answer the original question in a general way, no HIIT isn't the holy grail of conditioning work.

This. Or mph.

So I'm gonna read the FAQ again. Don't be bashful if you're thinking of something that you know isn't on there yet.

This. Or mph.

So I'm gonna read the FAQ again. Don't be bashful if you're thinking of something that you know isn't on there yet.

righto.

i run sub 8:30 for 2.4km (1.5mile) and when we do intervals its usally 8 x 400m with 2 min rest and i'll start at about 1:08 and get slower as i fatigue avging 1:10-1:11 overall.

NB i actually used to do a lot of roadwork prior to this recent stint of not doing it. Even ran a marathon. So... roadwork?

As I understand, anaerobic exercise causes both aerobic and anaerobic adaptations. I've also come to hear on several occasions that LISS has specific aerobic adaptation advantages over HIIT that creates a call for it, no matter how much HIIT you do. What are those advantages?? Or did we determine that HIIT really is the holy grail of conditioning?

Don't let me asking for sources dissuade you from answering, but sources.

If you want references, read "the Sicence of Running" literature review:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2011/08/factors-affecting-distance-running.html

The first section has a primer in the energy systems and the whole thing is referenced.

Also, Joel Jamieson Ultimate MMA conditioning. I think if you care about conditioning you simply have to read this book.

Back