Social Liquor, Beer or Wine - Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick out of the 3 it would be beer. Just easier to chill with.

4897c78da4d76216d6a1de834e84f7f0

608797.jpg

21pour1-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

I drink wine most often. I was trained as a sommelier and worked in the wine merchant business for 8 years so I am rather passionate about wine.

Though sometimes I like to drink scotch, especially in the winter months. They are great as a nightcap when it's really cold.

I can't really drink much at all anymore, but I do like a beer or a glass of wine, when circumstances permit, which is not too often. I should pick wine, because it is better for you, and the buzz is pretty good, but I went with beer, because it is easy to drink, mellow, and I like the mild effects of hops. Alcohol is a beneficial drug when used appropriately, but only in moderation. I don't get wasted anymore, and I kind of wish I hadn't in the past, but whatever.

The history of beer, itself, is pretty fascinating. It was a way to store excess grains without them spoiling or being eaten by rats, and it was a way to provide safe water for drinking, as water was not always clean or reliable, etc. Many workers were paid in beer as part of their wages. Alcohol is a key part of civilization, and has been for a long time.

Liquor, beer or wine? ...Yes.
that was my answer
although beer might win out if we including all kinds of beer
i could swig a 40 just as happily as a sip on an imperial IPA or stout

liquor o love too but a night drinking without beer seems like a waste to me

I can't really drink much at all anymore, but I do like a beer or a glass of wine, when circumstances permit, which is not too often. I should pick wine, because it is better for you, and the buzz is pretty good, but I went with beer, because it is easy to drink, mellow, and I like the mild effects of hops. Alcohol is a beneficial drug when used appropriately, but only in moderation. I don't get wasted anymore, and I kind of wish I hadn't in the past, but whatever.

The history of beer, itself, is pretty fascinating. It was a way to store excess grains without them spoiling or being eaten by rats, and it was a way to provide safe water for drinking, as water was not always clean or reliable, etc. Many workers were paid in beer as part of their wages. Alcohol is a key part of civilization, and has been for a long time.

You are very correct about the spoiling grain part, but the the clean water thing is a total myth that refuses to die! Of course most peoples conception of history leaves much to be desired and once pop history ideas like this gain widespread acceptance they are hard to rectify.

The vast majority of Medieval people lived outside of cities. These people had ready access to springs and rivers that provided clean water. If you did live in a city, finding a water source could be a little bit more difficult (especially as the Middle Ages go on and cities get larger), but the Medievals also solved that problem by building aqueducts to pipe pure spring water into a city. Just like the romans. Along with other methods. A basic rainwater barrel suffices for most purposes. If you had money, you may have a lined cistern to collect rainwater with, in conjunction with proper gutters and pavements to ensure you got as much rainwater as possible. And if the groundwater situation is good, you'd have a well, which would obviously provide perfectly good water too.

People in medieval and ancient times had access to perfectly good water. They drank alcohol, including beer, simply because they liked it: they liked the buzz, they liked the taste, and they liked the calories it provided. A very important part of civlisation but not for the reasons some people suggest.

Cider. Although good cider isn’t a drink you want to stick with for a night out (not that most places have good cider)

I don’t really drink anymore but I’d pick a good whiskey over a beer at home. I had a Italian ex who got me into good red wines so I’d pick wine with a meal. A good beer or cider for general occasions.

Cider is the GOAT but I find all of them acceptable

Back