Linus Torvalds steps aside from Linux because of SJW pressure as Linux adopts new code of conduct

Damn, he wasn’t pulling punches with his emails.

“Please just kill yourself now. The world will be a better place,” he wrote in one. “Guys, this is not a dick-sucking contest,” he observed in another. “SHUT THE FUCK UP!” he began in a third.”

This reminds me of basic training but that was 30 years ago.

Meh. I say worse shit on the daily in Rocket League.

I can see how someone like him who's technically gifted and oriented would want to avoid human drama. He was a dick at times, sure, I just don't see evidence that it was rooted in privilege or a sense of non-professional superiority.

As for the Intel fix being total garbage (if it's the one I'm thinking of for Meltdown/Spectre), he was dead on and Intel can eat a dick for publishing half-baked patches

He clearly states he's taking time off to contemplate how to not get associated with far right Nazis.

And thanks for getting unnecessarily pedantic, but try to be correct next time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

In Google: what is linux
Lin·ux
ˈlinəks/
noun
trademark•Computing
noun: Linux
  1. an open-source operating system modelled on UNIX.
Clearly when people refer to Linux, they mean an operating system. If they wanted to talk about the Linux kernel, they would say 'Linux kernel'

No, he took time off and endorsed the new CoC. Then the alt-right decided that the CoC was an attempt to promote diversity (the horror!!) when the intent of introducing it was more about being civil than anything else. But because the alt-right is now associated with the opposition, people will implicitly associate his leave of absence with bigotry (like you retardedly did). He's just clarifying that his situation is NOT related to that at all.

And you still don't fucking get it. You said that he works on an OS. He works ONLY on the kernel. Its not being pedantic. Its about being accurate and you're talking about something that you obviously know very little about.

He's a passionate asshole. I'd honestly rather work with some asshole or have some boss who will tell me to go kill myself if I'm wrong and fucking up than someone who will just try to do it 30 years later slowly and painfully with some phony sexual assault charge.

You're distorting the truth.

There are two issues that are only tangentially related. First, Linus is an asshole. Imagine the stereotypical socially awkward asperger programmer who doesn't understand why calling people idiots to their face over small disagreements is socially frowned upon..yeah, thats him.
It always cracks me up how we worship these people in popular culture, but hate them in real life.
sheldon_soulful.jpg

The-Social-Network-Jesse-Eisenberg-7-31-8-10-kc.jpg

the-imitation-game-benedict-cumberbatch-2.jpg

OR

landscape-1482419524-12382542-low-res-sherlock.jpg

111247368.jpg

cox.jpg

Walter_with_a_bald_head.jpg

the_imp_by_photoshopismykung_fu-d4lukr2.jpg

s077145709-300.jpg

No, he took time off and endorsed the new CoC.
You don't fucking get it. He clearly stepped aside because of this BS. Anyone who isn't a complete plank can see that. Not only that, but many devs are threatening to pull their code as well - https://hub.packtpub.com/linux-prog...f-conduct-threaten-to-pull-code-from-project/
And you still don't fucking get it. You said that he works on an OS. He works ONLY on the kernel. Its not being pedantic. Its about being accurate and you're talking about something that you obviously know very little about.
And who give a shit if he focuses on kernel development? The kernel is the heart of the OS.

BTW - Take a look at the pig vomit leading the charge for the CoC
Caroline-1.png

Caroline-2.png

Then the alt-right decided that the CoC was an attempt to promote diversity (the horror!!) when the intent of introducing it was more about being civil than anything else.
Wrong again
TV8VScL.png

This isn't an SJW issue.

It's a basic HR issue.

The guy was actually being a prick to his co-workers.

It is his OS and his company. They can fuck off.

He should destroy the company and make sure nobody has a job.

It always cracks me up how we worship these people in popular culture, but hate them in real life.
sheldon_soulful.jpg

The-Social-Network-Jesse-Eisenberg-7-31-8-10-kc.jpg

the-imitation-game-benedict-cumberbatch-2.jpg

OR

landscape-1482419524-12382542-low-res-sherlock.jpg

111247368.jpg

cox.jpg

Walter_with_a_bald_head.jpg

the_imp_by_photoshopismykung_fu-d4lukr2.jpg

s077145709-300.jpg

It's almost as if in the shows, especially in those more social awkward characters, that there is an over arching plot point relating to how those characters need to become more able to relate to those around them or risk alienating everyone possible until they are left with no friends, family, or colleagues that want to work with them.

Also some of those make no sense in that grouping.

They certainly have a board like a corporation does.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/board-members/

If anything, being that it's open source, the founder/creator has even less say.
Perhaps. But it seems like developers for the OS find the CoC objectionable as well and would have no issue with things as the were. The board may find a way to do without Torvalds, but they cannot find a way to do without developers. The CoC (at least in it's current iteration) is poison. Torvalds would make a hell of a figurehead to its opposition.

It's almost as if in the shows, especially in those more social awkward characters, that there is an over arching plot point relating to how those characters need to become more able to relate to those around them or risk alienating everyone possible until they are left with no friends, family, or colleagues that want to work with them.
Shows do this to every character. Leonard has to learn to be more confident, independent, and less needy of affirmation. In other words, he needs to be more like Sheldon.

Even after softening those characters retain their distinctive brusqueness and arrogance. Meanwhile, audiences tend to love them most before this softening. Compromise represents closure to the character (and thus the show). We adore them without compromise.

The underlying truth is that while Leonard had to evolve, too, audiences always loved Sheldon more. Star of the show.

Last edited:
Shows do this to every character. Leonard has to learn to be more confident, independent, and less needy of affirmation. In other words, he needs to be more like Sheldon.

Even after softening those characters retain their distinctive brusqueness and arrogance. Meanwhile, audiences tend to love them most before this softening. Compromise represents closure to the character (and thus the show). We adore them without compromise.

The underlying truth is that while Leonard had to evolve, too, audiences always loved Sheldon more. Star of the show.

I couldn't watch that abortion of a show for more than 20 seconds.

I couldn't watch that abortion of a show for more than 20 seconds.
Many agree with you, but many more like it than just about any other show in existence, which is why it reigned as #1 for so many years on network television, and as a comedy regardless of platform, so that's why I'm using it to root the observation.

"omg linus is such a big meanie head, i hope that he stops working on the most important OS in the world!!!!!"
You sound incapable of comprehension

And most likely are poor

You're distorting the truth.

There are two issues that are only tangentially related. First, Linus is an asshole. Imagine the stereotypical socially awkward asperger programmer who doesn't understand why calling people idiots to their face over small disagreements is socially frowned upon..yeah, thats him. His asshole-ishness is infamous and legendary to anyone that knows anything about him. No one is accusing him of being or saying anything racist, sexist, or homophobic. Other people who help maintain the kernel pulled him aside and told him that being an asshole was hurting the project because it was driving developers away...and not specific types of developers..all developers because he's a dick to everyone. He heard them out and apparently realized that he could do better and decided to take time away. SJWs did not drive him away. In fact, a kinder, friendly Linus will rejoin the project at some point.

The second issue is that many open source projects have toxic communities (in terms of them being full of assholes). And because Linus is a major asshole, it fostered an asshole culture within the Linux community. Realizing that it wasn't enough for only Linus to stop his asshole-ish behavior, the maintainers decided to adopt a new code of conduct. They didn't write the CoC themselves instead opting to adopt a third party CoC that has been used successfully by other open source projects (Kubernetes, Ruby, etc) called the Contributor Covenant. If you actually READ the code of conduct, it basically amounts to "don't be a dick" but the alt-righties got triggered because it also included one bullet point about not being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc (among other things including "body shaming") to encourage inclusivity and decided that it was a SJW takeover. Again, the CoC was not adopted because anyone thought that Linus was some sort of bigot. It was adopted because a lot of the developers are dicks and the CoC discourages people from being a dick.

This is a nerd party "I know this' response.
Gist is Linus is annoyed by SJW movement so just stop being retarded.

He's back in charge of the kernel.

In these talks I give, I also say that "the only thing that can stop us
is ourselves, it is up to us to mess this up." And that's truer now
than when I first started saying that a decade ago. There is no other
operating system out there that competes against us at this time. It
would be nice to have something to compete against, as competition is
good, and that drives us to do better, but we can live with this
situation for the moment :)

These past few months has been a tough one for our community, as it is
our community that is fighting from within itself, with prodding from
others outside of it. Don't fall into the cycle of arguing about those
"others" in the "Judean People's Front" when we are the "We're the
People's Front of Judea!" That is the trap that countless communities
have fallen into over the centuries. We all share the same goal, let us
never loose sight of that.

So here is my plea to everyone out there. Let's take a day or two off,
rest, relax with friends by sharing a meal, recharge, and then get back
to work, to help continue to create a system that the world has never
seen the likes of, together.

Personally, I'm going to take my own advice. I'll be enjoying this week
in Edinburgh with many other kernel developers, drinking some good
whiskey, and taking some time off of reading email, by spending it with
the great friends I have made in this community.

And with that, Linus, I'm handing the kernel tree back to you. You can
have the joy of dealing with the merge window :)

thanks,
greg k-h

https://lwn.net/Articles/769110/

Holy shit is that really someone’s name?

Back