Links on strength and conditioning to specifically supplement BJJ

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Any good ones? Perhaps workout regimenes you know current BJJ practitioners/ champions use?

I know Andre Galvao does some awesome stuff, but I can't find anything on his regimen. He fails to mention anything about it in his book "Drill to Win". There's also the "Training for Warriors: The Team Renzo Gracie Workout Book and DVD" by Martin Rooney. Has anybody read the book, or seen the DVD?

Any info is apprecaited. Thanks.

I still say general strength and explosiveness (squat, deadlift, press) is great for you.

Check the S&C forums, lots of guys actually train there as well, or at least understand people who do.

I still say general strength and explosiveness (squat, deadlift, press) is great for you.

Check the S&C forums, lots of guys actually train there as well, or at least understand people who do.

This, to get stronger on the mat you get stronger. There is no magic exercise.

This, to get stronger on the mat you get stronger. There is no magic exercise.

I never meant to ask for any magic exercise. I was only thinking that there might be certain S&C routines that work specific muscle groups that would most supplement BJJ, i.e. pulling (cable) exercises, since there's lots of pulling and gripping BJJ. I'm sure general strength routines would generally work.

Ive been working on this for a while. It's tough to figure out, and you will have to look at your BJJ schedule to make it work for you.

This is what I am doing for now, for my personal fitness goals. I like it, but it could be better.

Sunday - Gym day - Deadlifts 5x5, Bench 5x5, Rows 5x5
Monday- BJJ
Tuesday - stand-up and krav
Wednesday - Gym - Squat 5x5, Pull-ups 5x5, Arnolds 4x10
BJJ with the kids
Thurday - BJJ or stand-up
Friday - off or gym catch up day (if i do gym its because i missed wedsday's workout, if i didnt miss i try to work isolation - ie: bis, tris, lats, rombs)
Saturday - off day

This works for me. I would advise others to have at least one off day and try to only have one workout session per day, esp at first. After your body is used to the work then you can step it up.

Back