Like it or not, Holm makes sense.

That division is thin as paper. Everybody is getting a title shot after 2 UFC wins.

Uh welcome to the UFC so do tons of people, Brock, Big Nog, Shogun the list goes on and on. 2 wins is HUGE in the UFC. Or you can have Zero wins like Chael and get a title shot

Uh welcome to the UFC so do tons of people, Brock, Big Nog, Shogun the list goes on and on. 2 wins is HUGE in the UFC. Or you can have Zero wins like Chael and get a title shot

Nog and Shogun were big names and PRIDE Champions. Brock was huge and brought views and money.

Holly's sole purpose here is to pad Ronda's record.

I like it and it does make sense. Its really either Holm or Nunes, they either go with the one that is undefeated and was already talked about fighting Ronda before the UFC or they go with Nunes who has the more impressive wins but has losses as well.

I would be happy either way

The criteria to fight Ronda at this point are:

1) Win about 2 fights

2) Don't already have a loss to Ronda

And half the time it seems you only need one or the other.

Which was okay when Ronda was fighting 4 times a year, but now that she is on the every 6 months schedule it sucks.

get

lol, unexpected!

7/10

Holly was signed with full intent to make this fight happen. Even if her first 2 fights were underwhelming, anyone should have seen this fight coming. I swear, people act as though previous UFC title shots were based on some unbiased mathematical formula. Holly has the boxing credentials and an undefeated record in MMA, which will likely sell to the largest demographic. I love how fans actually think that a business that is based on PPV sales is always going to put on "fights that have the most merit". How can anyone be so naive?

Oh look you completely ignored the part where I mentioned Rousey USED to fight at 145. Gee, I wonder why she dropped down a weight class...

Because Cyborg got caught juicing and the fight at 145 was cancelled when Cyborg couldn't get licensed? Because the UFC doesn't have a 145 division? Because Cyborg is an obvious and proven steroid cheat? Because Cyborg is only talked about because she leeches off of Ronda's fame?

FACT, the fight would have already happened if Cyborg wasn't caught cheating.

She has looked unimpressive in the UFC, she clearly won but she looked nothing like the Holm that was 7-0 coming into the UFC. They give her someone like Pena, Tate, Cat and they lose a potential undefeated challenger for Ronda. Right now they need someone they can market. Holm is 9-0, attractive, has nice striking, kicks, and a great highlight reel. Tate will always be there, Cat has been inactive so a rematch makes no sense, Cyborg will make 135 never.

This fight makes sense right now.

i agree in the sense that its more compelling than a tate 3- although im surprised they didnt do tate as thats an easy fight for ronda - thought it made more sense from the ufc money making perspective

seems pretty clear that somethign went wrong in the back room negotiations w tate

Sherdog told me that taekwondo fighters and even tennis players would dominate WMMA with few months of training, so boxing champion should also do it easily. Let us watch 18-time boxing world champion beating Ronda.

How many fighters currently in the UFC have failed drug tests and no one questions them at all?
Hint: There are a lot of them.

How many fighters in the UFC have failed drug tests and then were given preferential treatment with a champ moving up to a division not in the UFC so the cheat doesn't have to make weight? Cyborg isn't being punished for her past use. She's just expected to make weight like everyone else.

By make sense you mean everyone else already lost so they'll throw her in to be destroyed then sure.

dude..you guys are nuts..its a good fight...gives ronda more of a unbeatable feeling......have cyborg fight Tate on same card...proves she can make weight...plus if(and thats a big IF) she beats tate in the 1st round could you imagine the build up for ronda/cyborg then....think outside the box people.....

Best idea yet. 5 months for Cyborg to lose 5 lbs. After they both win get in the octagon and face off and let the hype begin.

Come on now, you can't be serious. This is a squash match, Holly is only 2-0 in the UFC, and like Bethe, has no top ten wins. Fights like this are just to make the bigger name look more impressive.

Bethe is a lousy one dimensional brawler who was tiny compared to RR. Don't compare that joke of a fighter to Holm. I do agree Correira was a bit of a showcase fight but I don't see this being the case with Holm.

Holm is actually a decent challenger who is very athletic with good conditioning, competed in professional boxing at a high level and has a reach/height advantage over RR. She's very good at fighting at range and is training with a good gym. Holm has finished more opponents than Bethe as well. Actually finishing the majority of her opponents despite the fact that people are constantly saying she's boring and can't finish.

Do I think she deserves it? No, not yet. But I prefer it to Tate again that's for sure. And the fight does make sense. Holm is 33 and is in her physical prime. It makes sense to do it now instead of waiting for her to be 35+ years of age. Makes a hell of a lot of sense more than a 3rd fight between Tate/RR that no one wants to see.

It may make sense if they put in a special rule that says Rousey can't take her down and has to keep the fight standing. I mean cmon, this fight won't even be close to competitive. Ronda wins easily in the 1st by submission

100% Agree

what makes sense is that she will get submitted easily and tate would've put up more of a fight

Then why was Ronda accused of ducking Holly in the past.

If they wanted someone to pad Ronda's record why bring in a fighter with a lot of wins in a combative sport.

When did anyone say that? She's never shown anything to make Ronda afraid.

In fact, people have been tearing Holly's UFC run to shreds, calling her overrated, but now because she's getting the title shot, suddenly she's a threat. Don't fall for the hype.

The division was built around Ronda, that really should say it all. No-one under the UFC banner will beat her.

Back