Light Middleweight

Seeing as there is already a Light Heavyweight division why not have a Heavy Middleweight division?

:wink:

I thought this would be like a Franklinweight discussion.

The match-up between TS and Team Imperial will be in the light middleweight division

Debut of the light middleweight division for TPF: Clash of the 21st Century Titans! Who is the Strongest? Super Hyper Mega Power!

I'd pay to see it.

yes!!!!!!!How about.

lightflyweight -120
Junior Flyweight-123
Flyweight-125
superflyweight 127
light bantamweight 129
bantamweight 132
bantamweight 135
superbantamweight 137
lightfeatherweight 140
Junior feather weight 143
Featherweight 145
superfeatherweight 147
lightlightweight149
juniorlightweight 152
lightweight 155
superlightweight 159
lightwelterweight 163
juniorwelterweight167
welterweight 170
superwelterweight 173
lightmiddleweight 178
juniormiddleweight 181
middleweight 185
supermiddleweight 190
superlightheavyweight 197
lightheavyweight 205
heavyweight 205-265
superheavyweight 265-350
elephantweight 350+

thoughts?

Bored?

i just wanted to put it out there for discussion. it has merits and drawbacks and i would respectfully suggets that if you dont want to discuss them fuck off and comment on a different thread. :)

Problem is none of the weight classes are that deep that they should be broken split up. While fewer classes does mean less titles, it allows for deeper divisions.

I actually thought maybe getting rid of WW and having 165 and 175 pound divisions in its place would be pretty cool. It'd allow for the fighters who're too small to fight at MW or WW but too big to fight at (and cut properly for) LW and WW more options, and could present some cool matchups. BJ, Diego, Nick and a bunch of others I can't think of would fight at 165, and GSP, Anderson, Shields, Okami, Alves, Condit, Marquardt, Maia, and a whole bunch of other would fight at 175. It would also keep the whole 10 pound difference thing going; you know, it goes 10 pounds up from 115-155, then it goes 15 pounds for WW and MW, then 20 for LHW...

Of course, it's never gonna happen, but I thought it might be cool.

The match-up between TS and Team Imperial will be in the light middleweight division

Eeeh! Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?

So they should create weight classes so guys can win more than one belt?

Sounds stupid.

another weightclass?

please no. we have to many as it is right now

Nah what I feel is that they should merge bantamweight and Featherweight and this should be the new weightclasses:

Flyweight- 125
Featherweight- 140..... 15
Lightweight- 155..... 15
Welterweight- 170..... 15
Middleweight- 185........... 15
Light heavyweight- 205...... 20
Heavyweight- 265...... 60

I like streamline :p

Practically I don't know how it'd work out, but I like the look of it.

Super Welterweight sounds better.

Cruiserweight is a div I'd like to be added the most because of the weight discrepancy between HW/LHW. But I wouldn't want it now, HW's just forming to a real division. The idea is more viable with added depth. 180 or something...no need. If GSP and Silva both want that fight, they'll do it. If they don't, no organizing will make it happen.

I am with you on cruiserweight, but pushing the lhw division up 10lbs does much the same thing. The benefit of adjusting WW a little to accommodate a Light Middleweight division is just that the jump from 10lbs LW and WW divisions to a 15lbs MW division seems quite large when the result of introducing tle LMW division is 10 10 12.5 12.5 and then a 15lbs LHW.

I take your point about it thinning the divisions a bit. On the other hand. Might encourage these guys to do a bit more fighting. Sugar once-a-year Rashad ?

I take your point about it thinning the divisions a bit. On the other hand. Might encourage these guys to do a bit more fighting. Sugar once-a-year Rashad ?

Rashad, and just about every major fighter, fight as much as they can; they can't help it if injuries happen. Do you really think that Rashad not fighting Shogun (and getting replaced by Jones) wasn't about Diego Sanchez accidentally rolling into his leg and fucking it up, but about him not being encouraged enough to stay with the fight?

I am with you on cruiserweight, but pushing the lhw division up 10lbs does much the same thing. The benefit of adjusting WW a little to accommodate a Light Middleweight division is just that the jump from 10lbs LW and WW divisions to a 15lbs MW division seems quite large when the result of introducing tle LMW division is 10 10 12.5 12.5 and then a 15lbs LHW.

They'd need to have more cards, more even if they've been doing more of them with the FOX deal replacing Fight Night's and adding more of that sort.

The PPV slot is 2,5 hours IIRC, and they're already having trouble fitting cards with a lot of decisions into that. They have about 500 fighters on the roster right now - those guys fill out the cards so that booking makes it hard for a single fighter to fight more often (if he's not marketable).

I kinda see where you're comin from. but id Jus make middleweight 180lbs. then set the new weight at 195 then make light heavy 210. i think that'd work better.

I think that's a bad idea. The talent pool isn't big enough to support extra divisions right now, it just looks like you've come up with a neat way for your favourite guys to get belts/extra belts, and really, that's the big problem with boxing, creating the ludicrous number of 'World Champs' we have in that sport.

So yeah, no thanks.

lol CW? Soo let's create new div for jones when cut is too hard for him?

The only weight class UFC needs to add for the men is a Super Heavyweight division with no upper limit. I don't think that necessarily needs to be 265+, though. You could set a cutoff somewhere around the 240-250 range, IMO, to keep a viable heavyweight division while still dropping it enough to keep the ~300lb dudes from trying to make the cut.

Back