Lifts for Punch Retraction

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MilitantWorker, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MilitantWorker

MilitantWorker Blue Belt

The Labratory of Dr. Weird South Jersey Shore
    Anyone know some good lifts for faster, more explosive punch retraction?

I didn't want to post it in strength and conditioning cause I don't want advice from lifters I'm looking for tips from veteran strikers...

thanks

2. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

chin ups, curls. bent over rows possibly? i don't train for that so i can only hypothesize

3. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

this going to sound really funny, but the best way I can think of to train this would be on an old lawn mower. Drain the gas so it can't start, and using the same retraction you use for the punch, crank the engine.

Punch retration is not going to be improved by building big muscles, but by by just doing a crap load of reps to burning muscle memory, nerve path development, and endurance.

4. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

explosive lifts with heavy weights give me more explosive power.

deadlift, squats, shoulder press and snatch, bench press, chins and pull-ups, dips

5. stuntcum

stuntcum Yellow Belt

stuntcum thinks shadowboxing will help your problem. His advice is to focus on retracting your punches faster. He doesn't think lifting will improve your technique

6. Lutador011

Lutador011 Blue Belt

Shadowboxing with bunge cords...I've seen people do it

7. MilitantWorker

MilitantWorker Blue Belt

so more reps......how close to 1RM are we talking?

8. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

5-8 reps is fine

9. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

To clarify- You want to work the biceps for punch retraction (not the triceps). So exercises where the elbow must bend to move the weight against gravity. You don't need powerful retractoin (unless you are trying to punch yourself in the face). Power is ForceX Velocity. What you need is soley velocity. You can get the most velocity by not trying to move hard.

For increasing punch retraction I would not work weights. Weights will only increase your force (doing faster reps will increase your force at higher velocities) which is not needed. Muscle memory training is really the best work for this. You can try incorporating low weights into shadow boxing, but lifting weights won't really help. Just focus on pulling your punches back as fast and as relaxed as possible.

This is all based on the Force Power Velocity curve, which you can look up to understand why what I said holds true.

10. MilitantWorker

MilitantWorker Blue Belt

thank you for this. good advice. best so far

do the wing chun guys have any tips for drills or exercises? i know the emphasis the speed with the punch...

11. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I don't think this is going to help much. Adding weights to shadow boxing adds additional downward force to your punch. Punching with weights may develop some shoulder endurance, but possibly at the cost of form. I don't think it's going to help him on retraction.

The best practice for fast retraction is fast retraction. Every punch you throw, make a conscious effort to retract the punch faster than it was thrown, whether it's in the context of a single punch or a combination.

12. MilitantWorker

MilitantWorker Blue Belt

We usually spar in three minute rounds. My problem is that by the 3rd and 4th go I lose a lot of speed with my punches, and I don't even throw right hooks (I'm a southpaw) because I can't get them back in time to cover up

I guess I just need to shadowbox like a crazed mofo. how much time do you guys spend shadowboxing each day??

13. DS614

DS614 Brown Belt

Eat your wheaties.! :icon_chee

If your problem is an issue of endurance then work on your endurance.

14. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

More cardio. Anything that trains your speed should improve speed both ways.

15. MilitantWorker

MilitantWorker Blue Belt

My cardio is fine. I run everyday, and I don't feel like I'm going to collapse or anything in the later rounds when sparring. What I'm saying is that I lose speed when retracting punches in my lead hand (once again a southpaw..)

If it was Muay Thai I'd still throw kicks, knees, even clinch...but my problem is very specific. I've been training a lot of Boxing lately and I just lose retraction speed as I go on.

Started this thread to see if there was some lifting exercises to do but I guess not...I see pro fighters do weird things in weight training all the time. like for example before 104 I remember seeing Shogun lie down and take one end of a bar in his hand and the other end was left on the floor. he then went throw the punching motion crazy fast with ridiculous reps. that goes against a lot of the principles I was taught to stay safe and uninjured as I learned to lift..hope all that detail helps

thanks again