Lifting with a rib injury?

numberthirtytwo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a serious muscle strain in my rib that's probably going to sideline me for a couple weeks. It sucks and I'm having trouble finding things I can do to maintain some strength. I did 800m of walking lunges today and that was great. I can also leg press as long as the weight isnt really heavy. Basically anything that engages my abs is tough, so definitely no deadlift, bench press. Maybe squats with bodyweight but I haven't really tried out weighted squats (and definitely can't go heavy).

Not sure if anyone else has ever had this or a similar injury, but looking for some ideas on lifts I can incorporate, or routines for high rep bodyweight squats, lunges, light leg press, that I can do to keep hammering my legs at least. Also interested in finding some upper body work but I'm not holding my breath.

Just be careful, rib injuries suck. I remember I had a very small rib injury during highschool wrestling and I couldn't do ANYTHING for three weeks. Any little movement caused pain, even breathing in to deep. Make sure to take it easy, it won't hurt to take a rest.

Sounds like it would be better for you to take the time off. Let it heal and then go back. It might even heal a bit quicker if you take it easy.

I injured mine this tuesday. Some guy pressed really hard with his steel cup on the end of my ribs, trying to finish a guillotine.
It still hurts whwn I turn, breathe deep, almost every motion hurts. The worst thing is that I have a fight in 5 weeks :-(

32, I think back squats will be the first thing I will be able to do, so if you can do lunges, you can probably do some lighter back squats. 20 rep squats, tabata squats, ...

Rib injuries are HORRIBLE. Just try not to push it too hard until you get pretty much completely healed. It doesn't take much to re-injure ribs even from indirect stuff.

Back