1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Lifting while taking antibiotic...?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BangWhosNxt, Jun 27, 2010.

1. BangWhosNxt

BangWhosNxt Purple Belt

I was hoping everyone can weigh in on this; most of us at some point in our lives have had to take them and was just wondering if it's important to stop working out while taking them?

In my case, I just had a root canal and was prescribed amoxicillin. I ended up taking a week off just because I was due anyway. But would it really hurt anything if I just kept on lifting?

2. Midnighter

Midnighter Silver Belt

Why would you even need to stop lifting?

3. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

its fine

might be a good idea to take 2 weeks off if you're on a fluoroquinolone. amoxicillin is fine though

edit: common fluoroquinolones = avelox, levaquin, cipro

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I'm in between treatments for a root canal, taking penicillin and lifting extra hard this week.

5. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

I have been taking cipro (fluorquiniolone) and metronidazol (Nitromidazol) for 1 1/2 years almost nonstop.
    Never stopped lifting.

Probably the reason why joshtec advised to take time off when taking fluorquiniolone is because they are said to increase the risk of tendon ruptures.
    I personally took the risk - never had a tendon problem (in all the 1 1/2 years).
    But that is just me.

All in all you shoulnd't expect to recover as fast as you normally do when taking antibiotics. Especially if you have to take them over a longer period of time.

To sum things up: You don't have to take a week off. But if you feel like you need one off anyway - of course do it.

6. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

Yes, and if I was in your situation I would continue to lift. If I just had a 10 day cycle I'd probably take 2 weeks off on account of 2 weeks off not being very long. The risk/reward ratio is way different compared to having to give up lifting weights completely.

7. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

I can't see myself eliminating my workouts if I was on antibiotics, maybe at the very most decreasing frequency and weight, but to stop doesn't seem logical to me at least.
    --------------------
    Imagination is my trainer and guide.

8. JSN

JSN Bitch Lasagna

it kills your endurance. that's why marco ruas lost to alexander otsuka. okay not really.

9. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

Exactlly what I would do.