Lifting for The Game They Play in Heaven (Third Log of Richmond)

Yet more blatant lies, you're a utility and you told me so yourself!

But yeah, I see what you mean. Crazy. I wish my team's wingers weren't so fucking useless. I wish my entire team weren't so useless, but the outside backs especially.

I'm starting tomorrow at left wing.
I forget, you play Union in Australia right? Is that sport dying there?

Victory 35-17 on the weekend.
I made the hardest hit of the game and scored a try that was called back as the pass was a foot forward. Didn't affect the play, but rules are rules I guess. I've been told I'm now the fastest player on the Div2 squad.

Nyce, anything I can be doing for sprint speed other than oly lifts?

Drop weight, haha.
Actually, what I've found is your top sprint speed isn't as important as the % that you keep as the minutes pass. Lots of guys who are fast in the first ten are slow in the second half. Repeated speed it important.

Find out what your average distance is that you run. I feel that's important. For me, it's about 35 meters. For forwards it'll be shorter, for a fullback maybe longer. Repeat that range with adequate recovery. Then repeat it without recovery. No point in running 100s for speed if you could be faster when you touch the ball for 30m having trained it.

Front Squats
90kgx3
90kgx5
90kgx5
100kgx5
110kgx1
120kgx1
More in the tank. I hate my femurs. My hips hurt like shit.

Low Cable Rows
3x10w/holds

Front Squat
50kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg x 5

Snatch Grip Rack Pull (below knee)
50kgx6
90kgx6
90kgx6
90kgx6
90kgx6

Dip Bar Scap Depression
BWx10
BWx10
BWx10
BWx10

Hospitalized with acute gastritis for two days. Bed ridden for five. Am now back at home taking medicine and feeling much better. Lifting on Monday.

Strategy for summer will be to maintain and build power in the legs and hips, and build larger cross-sectional area with added mass on upper body, while focusing on posture in exercise selection, and starting ROLF.

I will be moving into inside center for the fall season at home, which is kind of a mix between the two positions I've been playing at. Work rate is not as high as flanker, but higher than wing. Must be bigger and stronger than wing, but not in terms of pushing and pulling like at flanker. What I need for the fall is good leg power to get up to top speed quickly, even if it's not my best top speed, and I need more upper body mass and for it to be durable, as I'll basically be battering myself through defensive lines all game long. Next season is about torque.

Plan on it. I'll be playing 7s all summer, so fitness will not be an issue for the fall. The goal then will be to gain as much power and upperbody muscle as possible. I'd like to focus on sled drags, while getting my power clean to 120kg, and my bodyweight to 210lbs. Lots of good eating and lifting to go with the running this summer! I might not get the best pressing numbers, but my upperbody is more of a ram than a lever at this point.

Ha, I'm playing #8 now... I convinced our other number 8 (who is a fair bit smaller than myself) to play inside. Pretty damn fun position, I scored a try last game and made some pretty nice tackles too.

Man, I never used to make nice tackles at 76kg... hahah.

Loose forwards are such a difficult positions to train for. On one hand, you have to be very physically strong and powerful to play like a forward, and on the other hand you have to have the highest work rate and endurance on the pitch. I suggest figuring out what your playing style is and lift toward that! Also, pics or work.

Front Squat
75kgx5
80x5
90x5
100x5

Push Press
50kgx5
50x5
50x5
50x5 got footing right here and was much easier

Pullups (palms in)
BWx10
BWx9

Band Pullaparts (7lbs doubled over)
7//x15
7//x15

The only thing nice about the front squats was that I haven't lost strength even though I lost weight and was sick for a week without eating shit.

Will go for 110kg x 5 on Monday.

When you move back home *excited face* it'll be MUCH easier to work on programs together. Between being able to text and call, neither of which are happening now, we'll get things lined up in no time!

=D =D =D

I was 'man of the match' this week in my last game. I played 80 minutes at blindside flanker. Loads of hard first-up tackles, four or five carries for around 50 meters, heaps of time spent at the breakdown, and no missed tackles or errors. For my reward and to send me off I was given a club jersey and trophy from our president, a former All Blacks captain, and got to make a speech in front of the club. I would have thought it was all just due to my leaving, but I really had my best game in NZ and probably one of my better performances ever. I'm psyched.

Still know little about your game but "man of the match" don't sound bad at all.

Back